IGNORED

MasterMind revisited / Finished

Happy_Dude

For anyone wondering wtf happened to this game :D

NEW STUFF !

* Title Page (very bad)

* 2nd game mode (using empty spaces to give you 59049 permutations :D )

* 2 Players (I'm going to use the B/W switch to add the old CPU mode)

* Player indicator

* colour retention (someone suggested this)

* Colours are all the same lum value and brighter than the background (someone suggested this too)

* Joystick controle improved

-- TODO

# add a wining condition

# sound if possible (I have no ram left)

# Fix title page

.have fun :)

mastermind.zip

Edited by Happy_Dude

Cye,

I'm still looking for a finished PAL version of Maser Mind Deluxe.

Do you have the .bin of that?

8)

Do you mean the 1K version? (I ask because both 1k and 4K versions are un-finished)

I don't think I'v ever compiled a PAL version of this because

I just tried and the colours where horrible ..... so thanks for making me fix it up :D

Just tried it in stella and it's flicker city. One frame will have 4 scan lines, the next 468

:ponder: try the new ones

MASTERMIND_1.3.zip

Just tried it in stella and it's flicker city. One frame will have 4 scan lines, the next 468

:ponder: try the new ones

Same thing with this one as with the one you posted yesterday. Minor difference though in that one frame will have 4 scan lines, the next 302.

I'm using Stella 2.2 on the Mac.

I tried it in the Krok Cart and it played OK - however, unlike other games, the screen doesn't stop but keeps going past the bottom of the TV. Perhaps you're not turning off the video when it gets to the Overscan section? My understanding is that leaving video on can confuse the vertical sync signal.

Perhaps you're not turning off the video when it gets to the Overscan section?

bingo. but thats not my only problem. for some weird reason the main kernel runs 1 scanline

less than the title and score screens even though I'm using the timer to keep every screen the same length ....

I'v d/led Stella 2.2 and will make sure the next release works ;)

The really cool Mastermind-style programs are the ones that try to guess the player's code. Unfortunately, I don't think the 2600 can manage that very well. An interesting twist on that is to allow the codemaker to change his code at will provided it still agrees with all the clues given to that point. Again, probably beyond the 2600.

The really cool Mastermind-style programs are the ones that try to guess the player's code. Unfortunately, I don't think the 2600 can manage that very well.

Modern computers struggle with that. I couldn't see the 2600 doing it very well.

and certainly not within 12 guesses

An interesting twist on that is to allow the codemaker to change his code at will provided it still agrees with all the clues given to that point. Again, probably beyond the 2600.

I don't think that would be beyond the 2600 at all.

OF course it wouldn't increase the difficulty if it conformed to the guesses

a white peg couldn't move back into spots it had ocupied so you would chase it down just

like normal.

and black pegs would have to be the same from line to line. you could move them into white

spots if you had enough whites to move into blacks but that would just be confusing :ponder:

I suppose colours could even be changed in spots ...

you'v got me thinking now :D

• 1 month later...

Sound OMG!!!!!!1!!!!!!111

it's just glitchy stuff (and the first bar seems to be pointing at somthing random)

But its a title screen song :)

using Paul's song player of course.

Yeah thats pretty much all

And a new title screen that doesn't suck

enjoy (or else ..... )

MASTERMIND_1.7.zip

... Finaly ticked everything off my todo list. :D

Final version.

you can chose 1 player mode with the b/w switch

and some other stuff ....

(And for anyone that found the easter egg .... it's different ;) )

.have Fun

edit: fixed the E

MASTERMIND_1.8.zip

Edited by Happy_Dude

I said it's finished. Now they're all called "features" :P

well the E is an easy graphical fix. :dunce:

but using select would require ram that I don't have

with the switches you just poll them each frame and you know what options are selected.

Oh and I'd really apreciate any and all feedback

especially from people playing on real hardware because you'll notice that the Hmove line

that has been with us since the begining is gone now ;)

Modern computers struggle with that. I couldn't see the 2600 doing it very well. and certainly not within 12 guesses

There are 32,768 possibilities in normal Mastermind if duplicate pegs are allowed, or 6720 if they're not. If playing the latter game, assuming an opening guess of 1-2-3-4-5 and uses separate routines based upon the user's first response, the number of cases to be considered is quite reasonable.

0 anything, 1 black, or 1 white: impossible

- Four or five pegs would have to each be one of three colors, without duplication.

2 white: 960 possibilites: (5:2)*4*4*3!

- Choose two useful-color pegs (5:2) or ten ways, move each to one of the four other spots (4*4 ways), and choose the three other pegs from the remaining three colors (3! or six ways)

1 white & one black: 360 possibilites: 5*4*3*3!

- Choose the right peg and useful-color peg (5*4 ways), move the useful-color peg to one of three other spots, and choose the three other pegs from the remaining three colors.

2 black: 60 possibilities (5:2)*3!

- Choose two right pegs, then choose the other three colors

3 white: 1620 possibilities (5:3)*20*3!

- Choose three useful-color pegs (5:3), rearrange them (20 ways found by enumeration), and choose the two remaining pegs.

2 white & 1 black: 1620 possibilities: (5:2)*3*3^2*3!

- Choose two useful-color pegs (5:2) and a black peg (one of three remaining), put each useful-color peg into one of three possibile spots (3^2), and put two of the three unused colors in the remaining two spots (3! ways)

1 white & 2 black: 540 possibilities (5:2)*3*3*3!

- Choose two right pegs (5:2) and a useful-color peg (one of three remaining), put the useful-color peg into one of three possibile spots, and put two of the three unused colors in the remaining two spots (3! ways)

3 black: 60 possibilities (5:3)*3!

- Choose three right pegs, and pick two of the three unused colors for the remaining spots.

Enumeration of the other cases gets to be a pain, but you can see the 6720 possibilities split up pretty nicely.

I remember playing the origanil 70s game and I always see the box art of an old man with a hot chick over him well I found the photo of the box and use it to make both Picture & Silver label of the game if anyone line to us it :cool:

BTW if anyone like to know the full story on who thouse model on the box art head over to The MasterMind Box Models Page.

post-5587-1150119799_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1150119818_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1150119827_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1150119834_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atariboy2600

I remember playing the origanil 70s game and I always see the box art of an old man with a hot chick over him well I found the photo of the box and use it to make both Picture & Silver label of the game if anyone line to us it :cool:

BTW if anyone like to know the full story on who thouse model on the box art head over to The MasterMind Box Models Page.

The cartridge must have that photo on its label.

Any other picture is total nonsense.

But the reflection of the two figures on the table is a very important part of the composition.

Don't make the mistake by cutting it away.

Thanks for the link, Atariboy2600.

Very interesting to read.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

The cartridge must have that photo on its label.

Any other picture is total nonsense.

There you go Atariboy2600 you just won the lable design contest by default. :P

The title is "Master Mind Deluxe", and they used different models for the "Deluxe" box ;) http://www.games-collector.com/pics-m/2031...luxe-1975-1.jpg