IGNORED

Common 2600 prices?

Steppenwolffan21

Yeah I know about eBay, but I don't really feel like paying for shipping, waiting, and such. I want alot of common games so I can get collection started again. I really don't feel like paying $2.00 for Combat, or some other common game like that. Do you catch my drift here? I guess I shouldn't have sold off a majority of my 2600 collection on eBay now.

Edited by Sauron

I agree that Combat and Pacman are not worth $2.00. When you hit the Flea Market, shop around first and revisit the table that has the games you want at the end of the day. You may be able to haggle with the salesman. The most important trick to doing this is you have to be ready to walk away if he doen't want to come down on the price and know when the best time is to approach the seller. ;-)

For some games, like Pac-Man and Asteroids, of course $2 is too much, especially when you already have one. But if you know the asking price, and if you know how much you need the game, you can figure out which ones to get.

And then of course there's haggling. If the guy isn't a flea market regular, it should be easy to ask for at least 1/3 off if you buy the whole lot. But don't say it that way. Do the math in your head and make an offer.

If you do choose to go the haggling route (which, IMHO is the best thing to do with any vender at a flea market with the exception of the food court), try to get a price drop out of the guy before making your own offer. One thing you can do is take a group of the carts up to the guy and say something like "what kind of deal can you make for me on these carts?" Then go from there and see if you can then get him to come down some more after making your counteroffer. It's not always possible to do that, but if it seems like the guy's been trucking these games back and forth for months and just wants to get rid of them, you may get an even better deal than you were hoping for.

A little haggling got me a box with 20 games plus Ghost Manor and Sea Hawk for $3. Actually, I just kind of hesitated when the fellow said 50 cents a game, and then he said I could take the box for $3 (while I was drooling over Ghost Manor). I accepted rather quickly.

Another trader refuses to budge off of $4 for commons and $10 if they are boxed. I won't deal with that one--she simply will not negotiate prices. Negotiation is to be expected in a flea market.

I think $2 is reasonable for commons that you don't have. You can't spend very long on even a classic arcade machine for $2. If you've got it, though, don't pay another $2 without a good reason, like the label is mint and yours is almost gone.

Flea markets..puh!

We have the Sunrise Swap Show down here...really big flea market. There is one vendor with TONS of classic stuff but he's a total dick, and his stuff is WAY overpriced.

A final Fantasy for NES (cart only) caught my eye since I kind of want it. I asked how much, he said $20 bucks. I didnt say anything but rolled my eyes so he asked me "how much do you think it's worth on Ebay" "On Ebay?" I said...maybe $10 max, "this being a flea market and not ebay Id maybe pay $5."

He gets all huffy and says "come here"....

So he shows me this piece of torn up cardboard with writing on it...

NES FF - $30

Joe and Mac - $25

Zelda - $30

"I love to show this to people like you just to shut you up" He says "how about that"

"You're full of shit. what, you write it on a piece of cardboard and I'm supposed to believe you? Even complete with box and instructions those games dont go for more than $20, and besides, if you can get $30 on ebay why sell it here for less?"

So we back and forthed about 3 minutes and I left. The next weekend I made it a point to print out a bunch of ended auctions on Final Fantasy, none of which were more than $10 (shipping included) with the exception of a CIB that went for $18 (plus shipping) and go back to the flea market, just to be a jerk right back.

He didnt remember me initially but when he read through the auction printouts I handed him he got beet read and said "Get the hell out of here!!!" and threw the auction printouts to the ground...

I had to do it. So of course I added as I walked away....

"I love to show this to people like you just to shut you up" "How about that"

Edited by jetset

Flea markets..puh!

We have the Sunrise Swap Show down here...really big flea market. There is one vendor with TONS of classic stuff but he's a total dick, and his stuff is WAY overpriced.

A final Fantasy for NES (cart only) caught my eye since I kind of want it. I asked how much, he said $20 bucks. I didnt say anything but rolled my eyes so he asked me "how much do you think it's worth on Ebay" "On Ebay?" I said...maybe $10 max, "this being a flea market and not ebay Id maybe pay $5."

NES FF - $30

Joe and Mac - $25

Zelda - $30

"I love to show this to people like you just to shut you up" He says "how about that"

"You're full of shit. what, you write it on a piece of cardboard and I'm supposed to believe you? Even complete with box and instructions those games dont go for more than $20, and besides, if you can get $30 on ebay why sell it here for less?"

So we back and forthed about 3 minutes and I left. The next weekend I made it a point to print out a bunch of ended auctions on Final Fantasy, none of which were more than $10 (shipping included) with the exception of a CIB that went for $18 (plus shipping) and go back to the flea market, just to be a jerk right back.

He didnt remember me initially but when he read through the auction printouts I handed him he got beet read and said "Get the hell out of here!!!" and threw the auction printouts to the ground...

:lol:

Flea markets..puh!

NES FF - $30

Joe and Mac - $25

Zelda - $30

Awesome man. I know exactly what you're talking about. Some people at my flea market sell ( This is the average price )Atari 2600s for $40.00, NES' for $50.00, and Genesis' for like $20.00. One time I asked this lady that had a 2600 four switch with several watered-logged games for $50.00. I ask why so much, and she said "This is how much they go for on eBay." Then of course I walk away, not saying anything in repsonse. I hate it when people sell outraegously priced games / game systems and then wonder why no one buys them. Especially the ones that say "This is an antique" or "You can't find these anymore." -That gets way to annoying.

Sometimes people don't what they have.

I got Summer Games and Winter Games for .50 each. And a whole box of joysticks and paddles for $1

The guys was like, I don't even know what that stuff was.

Then there are the guys that know this stuff is collectable and try to overprice you

I think the 2.00 price for a common has to to do with the condition of the game. I see all kinds of E.T.'s and Pac-Mans with crappy or faded labels but if your looking for collecting purposes I say any common including Combat, etc. is worth two bucks for a mint copy that you dont already have in your collection. That is the standard price I shoot for. Now for extra copys to be used as bargining pieces I would go .50 to 1.00 maximum and only buy the really nice looking ones.

ahhh i love this classic line

"This is how much they go for on eBay."

this is not ebay, this is a rat infested old barn that you threw an old table in to make some money cus u dont have a real job. if i wanted to spend what it is sopposedly worth on ebay. id buy it off ebay

Flea markets..puh!

I know exactly who you're talking about, and that guy is truly a dick. First time I went to Sunrise I spent maybe 30 minutes going through his warez to find the interesting stuff...and then heard the crazy pricing and "eBay" excuse, total waste of time. Now I just spend a few minutes in the hope of finding the oddball rarity that he may mis-price. Haven't bought from the dude yet but figure I'll get the better side of a deal one of these days :D

Flea markets..puh!

I know exactly who you're talking about, and that guy is truly a dick. First time I went to Sunrise I spent maybe 30 minutes going through his warez to find the interesting stuff...and then heard the crazy pricing and "eBay" excuse, total waste of time. Now I just spend a few minutes in the hope of finding the oddball rarity that he may mis-price. Haven't bought from the dude yet but figure I'll get the better side of a deal one of these days :D

Yeah, I was really pissed on the first visit because it was the first time EVER I found Atari stuff in the wild (well, 1-2X before, but total junk, like an Outlaw manual at one place, a totally overpriced 5200 at another). He had a CRAPload of Atari stuff, and I had considered going inside his booth hoping to fund quadrun or something for $20 bucks. THEN I would be going back every week rubbing his nose in the shit. But I couldnt stick around and listen to him rant for more than a few minutes...

Flea markets..puh!

NES FF - $30

Joe and Mac - $25

Zelda - $30

Reminds me of that lady down at old paris, except instead of being rude, she just smirked and shook her head when I tried to cut a deal.

Her line was "well, these are pretty hard to come by". I told her I'd just got a whole box of 'em at Mary's for $3. I'd like to see her walk into gameXchange one day. Especially the one in Midwest City--they've got over half a dozen boxed 2600 titles. All of 'em cost a buck, which is one fourth of what she wanted for loose games. Stay away from the shop in the southeast corner of Old Paris flea market if you are in OKC. Well, at least don't buy video game equipment from her--you can probably get what she's got cheaper at gameXchange.

To her credit, she does have many kids toys, and those prices seem reasonable.

I had a fellow get snotty on me when I tried to deal with him on some overpriced computer parts. According to his technician, if they turned a computer on at all, that was part of an hour's worth of labor, so that computer was automatically worth $40, even if it didn't work.

I made him check a whole case full of AMD processors, hoping one of them was a K6-III. No luck, so I asked to go through the warehouse, and still no luck (that's where I spoke to the "tech"). There was some good hardware up there, dedicated LAN cards, LS-120's, etc, but he simply would not budge on his sky high pricing. $40 for a LAN card!? Come on! I asked about a couple of complete PII systems (this was a year and a half ago, btw), and he wanted $60 for one with next to nothing for the hrad drive and RAM, anything more than that was over $100.

That's when he got all snotty with me, and beat around the bush trying to say he didn't want me in his shop. I made him tell me to leave, as I wasn't going to take any nonsense from someone who doesn't have the guts to ask me to leave.