IGNORED

Common 2600 prices?

Steppenwolffan21

Hey guys,

I went to the 'market today. I was in the guys place, about 400 NES carts everywhere :lust: He had a giant Tupper-Ware container and 2 carboard file cabinent like boxes of 2600 games. I began rummaging throught the carts. He asked if I wanted anything in particular, I started naming these high rarity games. I said he had been in the business for 13 years, and what he had in the boxes were all commons. That was cool. I'm not looking for anything rare. Just some classic games to get my collection going. I started picking our games I've never heard of, because I thought those would end up being a rarity 2 instead of a 1. I asked him if he would sell the games to me for a dollar if I buy a lot. He said he would sell me games for $1.00 if I bought more than 10. I ended getting 12 games and he through in a bag of manuals.

Games:

Adventures of Tron

Street Racer

Space Jockey

Enduro

Spider Fighter

Missle Command

Dig Dug

112 Telegames

Shuttle Orbiter

Commando Raid

StarMaster

DragonFire

I think I now have a local booth I'll be going to quite a bit now! :)

Edited by Steppenwolffan21

cool score. bottom line is a dollar for anything is probably worth it. I mean really the entertainment you get is way more than a buck. I do feel some of your pain when dealing with jerk vendors. I spoke to one woman who had a 5200. I had been looking for one and was even willing to overpay a bit for one. She would not come down from $100 on it (oh it did have one game) At that I was kind of put off, but offered her much less. SHE YELLED AT ME! yelled right at me saying she could sell it on ebay for 130 easy. I shook my head, put down the couple of things i was going to buy at a reasonable price and walked out laughing. I should have done like Jetset did and gone back with a few ended auctions. I bought one the next week for $20 with a box and 5 games from another place.

Edited by iguana

ahhh i love this classic line

"This is how much they go for on eBay."

this is not ebay, this is a rat infested old barn that you threw an old table in to make some money cus u dont have a real job. if i wanted to spend what it is sopposedly worth on ebay. id buy it off ebay

/rant on

FUCK Ebay. I hate Ebay. All these assholes who quote ebay prices. Fuck them too. I only use eBay now for NEW products. They are the only ones you get a good deal on.

I look at swap meets like a garage sale. It's funny how you can find a 2600 for $5 from one guy, then there is that other asshole who drags it back and forth every week in a box of auto parts and wants $50. What a dumbass.

My local mom and pop (well, accutally Geek and his brother and idiot roomate) game store thinks stuff should be priced higher than eBay. This guy takes the ebay price and adds theoretical shipping costs and then quotes it. He wanted $17.95 for NES Super Mario Bros 2. I got it at another place locally for $4 and even that is high, but worth it.

I used to promote them here, but not anymore. They pissed me off and refused to refund my money on a new yobo that I bought for my kid and returned the next day since I got one for less shipped to his door with a B-day card included. Now I have a "store credit" I should call my credit card company, but I'll spend the credit and tell him this is my last purchase here. He called his return policy a reason and told me that it costs him money for receipt paper, electricity to run the cash register, and wasting his time selling a product. Some customer service. 'Wasting his time dealing with a customer???? I told him that is overhead. Especially when he is selling a $25 Yobo for $49.95.

I can understand his policy on used games and new ones that were opened, but not for a new console that is unopened. As for wasting time, they waste my time since everytime I go in there, I have to wait 15 min for a price, amid the shopkeepers constant yammering with others about how much the new xbox sucks during my transaction.

This guy used to slam the other locals for selling stuff too high, but now he does it. No bother, I found another mom and pop shop, and I have bookman's as well.

BTW, I usually pay between $ 0.50 ans $1 for 2600 carts, and $1 and $4 for NES carts.

Oh, If you want a Yobo, there is a seller on eBay who sells them for 1 cent, then adds 29.95 shipping. She's screwing eBay out of their commission. Kinda funny. Wonder how long she'll get away with that.

/rant off

I haven't been on here since around Christmas time. Lots of things have been happening to my life, but I'm going to try and make a comeback real soon. That goes also for the variation list.

As to purchasing vintage games. It seems to me that stuff in the wild is becoming much scarcer. IMO I think people are hitting Ebay with their goods and taking whatever the market will allow. It's a hell of a lot better than dealing with the people face to face.

I always haggle. It can't hurt. Set a price in your head. Then stick to it. Unless of course you run across the rarest of rares, then just pay it.

Asking for a price is a good thing, because sometimes they'll give you one lower than what you'd offer. And if it's higher, then counteroffer. Like someone said, they can only say no. Then you can decide whether or not their price is worth it.

My opinion is that buy what you can afford and if you get dupes, just resell or trade. One other thing to note is that some label variations will be rarer than others, so if you're familiar with them, you may be able to get a deal.

Phil

Asking for a price is a good thing, because sometimes they'll give you one lower than what you'd offer. And if it's higher, then counteroffer. Like someone said, they can only say no. Then you can decide whether or not their price is worth it.

Heh, sometimes it's even easier. Today at an antiques fleamarket (which I'd been to before and never seen any videogame stuff), there was a vendor who had a 2600 Jr. w/ generic power supply and 3 joysticks (1 Vader CX-40, 1 Epyx 500XJ and 1 other 3rd party). I asked him the price and he said $20. I continued to look it over, not saying anything. In less than 30 seconds he talked himself down to $7! At that point, I was leaving his stall but I said I'd be back - and about a half hour later I came back with the $7 and it was all still there waiting for me. Too bad he didn't have any games!