IGNORED

1982 Texas Chainsaw Massacre Box Pictures & Poster Info

Joystick Jolter

Hi All,

Thought it would be easier to start a new topic so everybody would know the pictures

were posted.

Image1a.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

I also found last night an 8.5" x 11" poster with the "promo" box.

I checked out the large poster as well. It has pictures of both the Texas Chainsaw

Massacre box and the Halloween box. It's 18" x 24" and I will try to scan it in pieces

today and put it together. It's in MINT condition still folded up as it was when I got it

way back in 82/83. I also have instructions that are pre production copies of what they

planned on printing up. Yes it has slightly rusty staples in them.

I'll try to post both later today.

Tony

Here's a scan of the small poster. It is 8.5" X 11". Sorry I added the 2 sample lines in there, but I'm just trying to protect my price when I sell it on eBay. I may send a scan to AA without them after I've sold the poster. Hope you guys understand. Business is Business, First things First.

Image4A.jpg

Tony

Here's a scan of the small poster. It is 8.5" X 11". Sorry I added the 2 sample lines in there, but I'm just trying to protect my price when I sell it on eBay. I may send a scan to AA without them after I've sold the poster. Hope you guys understand. Business is Business, First things First.

Image4A.jpg

Tony

Nice.

Interesting fact:

The release of this game was delayed, because there was another version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre at first:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/t...ainsawproto.htm

The shooting guy in your pictures is still a trace of this first prototype version.

8)

Was the ver 1 dumped? I'd love to try it out as I was not overly impressed with either of the Wizard releases and maybe the first concept of TCM might have been more to my likeing.

EDIT: Rough ball park, what are these posters worth (the big one and the small one). Are they $10, $20 or does a zero need to be added to thse numbers? I'm curious as I would love to get one of the posters as I love the movies, just not the games and adding "ATARI" into the mix, why the heck not its quite a bit more visually apealing than quite a few other posters I've seen..lol..

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Was the ver 1 dumped? I'd love to try it out as I was not overly impressed with either of the Wizard releases and maybe the first concept of TCM might have been more to my likeing.

No I don't believe so. It was placed on ebay and bought buy some TCM fan for a rather high price. It's probably sitting in some guys TCM collection without him even knowing what it is.

Tempest

EDIT: Rough ball park, what are these posters worth (the big one and the small one). Are they $10, $20 or does a zero need to be added to thse numbers? I'm curious as I would love to get one of the posters as I love the movies, just not the games and adding "ATARI" into the mix, why the heck not its quite a bit more visually apealing than quite a few other posters I've seen..lol..

With a normal game, even a rare press release poster will not sell for more than $40-60. The problem here (which is good for the seller) is that this is a cross-collectible as there are many people out there who collect movie themed posters and horror memorabilia. Because of that, this poster is probably worth a lot more than that.

@joystickjolter--your call on the poster scan. A 72 dpi image on a web site isn't going to impact your selling price in any way as it is not usable for high quality image reproductions, IMO.

Was the ver 1 dumped?

Did you read the article Rom Hunter linked to????

'The current owner of this prototype is unknown, and it has unfortunately never been dumped. Let's hope the owner turns up eventually, or this surely one of a kind prototype may be lost forever.'

Was the ver 1 dumped?

Did you read the article Rom Hunter linked to????

'The current owner of this prototype is unknown, and it has unfortunately never been dumped. Let's hope the owner turns up eventually, or this surely one of a kind prototype may be lost forever.'

Has anyone tried to do a hack of TCM to make it something like ver.1? Sounds like a fun premise.

Thanks so much Joystick Jolter!! I really like the look of that box. I think you're going to be pleasantly suprised with the ending prices on your auctions. Both the horror collectors and us Atari collectors battle it out anytime TCM or Halloween come up for auction, so you should definitely do well.

why cant someone just email the new owner ??

because no one knows who the new owner is.

Did the auction have a private bidder list?

I didn't even think that he listed it yet.

I searched ebay and couldn't find it (active or completed.)

You won't find it. It was listed about 5 years ago.

My guess is that if you put that on ebay it would go for about $2,000. Though I could be totally wrong.

$2,000 for a poster?, you have to be kidding. I say $150 topps.

Just for some background here guys and girls,

I have no idea what will happen with the small poster but from selling past small

posters I'd bet a final price in the $50--$75 range is easily possible. Now the larger

poster. I sold a straight up TCM poster a couple of years ago that best recollection

went for over $200. This one with both TCM and Halloween should bring at least the

same area in price. Third and last the box. In the first thread I started about this

sku_u stated he buy the box for $30 to $40 dollars if it did not vary much from the

original. This is obviously quite different even including an earlier copyright date. SO

who knows. I think I'll put up the small poster today and see what the interest is.

Anthony

Just curious about what the legality of all this is, although I have not seen any activity from Wizard Video since 1987.

Has anyone ever heard of a case where evaluation items were demanded back, or of cease and desist letters filed against sellers on eBay or other venues, from companies (or the companies that now own those companies) from the older days of video gaming? I believe companies that have stuck around like Nintendo and Sony are more protective about their loaner/evaluation items.

Just curious about what the legality of all this is, although I have not seen any activity from Wizard Video since 1987.

Has anyone ever heard of a case where evaluation items were demanded back, or of cease and desist letters filed against sellers on eBay or other venues, from companies (or the companies that now own those companies) from the older days of video gaming? I believe companies that have stuck around like Nintendo and Sony are more protective about their loaner/evaluation items.

Boy are you way off base here. There is nothing I have that I have talked about that

anyone, wether still in business or not, could ever have any title to. What I have was

given to me by the company. It was not given with any other premise than to be given

to me to use however I wanted to.

Now if you were talking about a proto game with a label that said it was a loaner or

that they wanted it back that might be different. I'm not selling a proto game. The box

was sent with the game which was finished and it just happened to get into a prototype

box that they never used.

I hope this doesn't sound hard but it is just plain facts.

Anthony

Boy are you way off base here. There is nothing I have that I have talked about that

anyone, wether still in business or not, could ever have any title to. What I have was

given to me by the company. It was not given with any other premise than to be given

to me to use however I wanted to.

Now if you were talking about a proto game with a label that said it was a loaner or

that they wanted it back that might be different. I'm not selling a proto game. The box

was sent with the game which was finished and it just happened to get into a prototype

box that they never used.

I hope this doesn't sound hard but it is just plain facts.

Anthony

Woah, hey slow down there. A little sensitive about this, huh? I wasn't suggesting that you are doing anything, oh, illegal, just wondering what the legal status of evaluation materials like this might be given they are media from another time and given that Wizard Video, like many other companies from that time, is no longer a viable company unlike Sony, Nintendo, or even Atari. But thanks for your touchy, knee-jerk "it's mine, mine, mine" response, because it illuminates a grey area in the world of video game collecting.

You were given this game by Wizard Video for the purposes of reviewing it for a publication, yes? (I'm not even going to get into the ownership of the publication here.) Most, but not all, of the time evaluation materials are not expected to be returned (reasons include: to foster goodwill among the reviewers, it isn't worth the money to get the sample back since they are destined for mass production anyhow, the item has been allocated through accounting as a business expense, and so on); however, with some companies they ask for the materials back - here I'm thinking of certain film companies and their films. It really depends on what sort of legal agreement, or lack thereof, accompanies the material(s) in question. (As an aside, I've reviewed books before, and sometimes the publisher wants the review copy back, but most of the time they don't - typically this is related to how far along in the publication process the text is. Also, it's been over a good ten years since I worked in radio, so I'll have to check with an industry friend about the current situation over there.) Of course, we live in different times and with additional media formats, so controlling who has access to what is a little different story.

So yes, in a situation with something taken from a company by an employee - such as a lab loaner cart - that cart is still the company's property, although thus far many of the surviving companies from the Atari 2600 period appear not to care about retrieving this sort of thing. Enforcing (intellectual) property issues, copyright, and trademark are things that are interesting to me, and like I said in my initial query, I'm really thinking more about companies with longevity like Sony and Nintendo (and Disney because of their aggressive corporate history, but this is a video game forum).

Edited by Zwackery