IGNORED

Atari Jaguar sales figures

superjudge3

I have a hard time believing that Atari only sold around 125,000 units when I've read interviews that state Tempest 2000 and AvP both sold around 300,000 copies each.

I say Atari sold closer to around 350,000 units. What do you guys think?

Does it really matter? You're talking about the difference of a couple hundred thousand units. Their competition sold tens of millions more than they did either way.

I have the sales figures on file, can't get to them now, maybe in a month or so, but as I recall 325,000 units in total were produced. In a huge final push, Atari cut a deal with Walmart to sell its remaining inventory, much went unsold and the deal called for Atari to take back the unsold inventory, much of which returned damaged and with Walmart stickers all over the boxes.

Then of course there was Atari's infamous 1am in the morning 30min. Infomercial where they tried to sell Jaguar's.

Curt

I have a hard time believing that Atari only sold around 125,000 units when I've read interviews that state Tempest 2000 and AvP both sold around 300,000 copies each.

I say Atari sold closer to around 350,000 units. What do you guys think?

I recall reading an interview with the developers from Rebellion and they said that AvP sold 250,000 copies. Maybe that many were produced but they didn't all sell right away. It's silly how people get in bidding wars over AvP when it's the Jags most common game besides Cybermorph. Who here doesn't own AvP?

Anybody remember the Aliens: Total Conversion mod for the original DOOM? Well, I figured AvP was probably the best gaming experience, at the time, I'd get set in the Aliens story. Between AvP and Tempest 2000, those two titles pretty much got me interested in getting a Jag.

Aliens Vs. Predator at its time and for a couple of years was the best 1st person shooter out the fact that you could play the game from 3 different points of views w/ diffrent agendas had not been thought of at the time. Had it not been for the game I doubt the Movie would of came out many years later. The Jag had that and Tempest 2K and those 2 games alone sold most people the Jag in the 1st run. Is the Game Common yes, but more common than Cybermorph (I doubt it) that game came w/ the Jag then they sold it individualy as well. I know I own 2 copies and alot of them were used for home brew games yet every lot of games sold on e-bay or Jag on e-bay still has a copy or 2 of Cybermorph included. Maybe thay are both just as common a game but even a dated AvP is more wanted then Cybermorph(a game that has held up better w/ time but is still not fun)

On Jags Sold Next Generation 95 issue claimed 500,000 that was beffore the Walmart and JTS so I would guess that 750,000 total cause I think they made an extra 250,000 for the Walmart fiasco. But that is just a guess.

The movie was not made because of the Jag version, since the Jaguar version you had the arcade version and you had the PC version a couple years back that blew the Jaguar version away in every sense of it.

If the jag version was never made the movie still would've been made at the same time as it was.

It's amazing they stuck around so long selling that little...

Size. Atari was so small even then, that even marginal sales could have helped keep them alive even longer. I used to communicate with Don Thomas back in those days, and the company was many, many factors smaller than the competition (employee count, etc).

..and you had the PC version a couple years back that blew the Jaguar version away in every sense of it.

Uh, I have the PC version and no it does not 'blow the Jaguar version away in every sense of it. '

The Jag version in many respects is the most fun version. It is without a doubt, hands down the SCARIEST version.

If the jag version was never made the movie still would've been made at the same time as it was.

Are you so sure the Jags AvP was such a small influence? Apparently Andrew Whittaker, the pivotal man in Jag AvP development was a consultant for the AvP movie.

Edited by JagChris

..and you had the PC version a couple years back that blew the Jaguar version away in every sense of it.

Uh, I have the PC version and no it does not 'blow the Jaguar version away in every sense of it. '

The Jag version in many respects is the most fun version. It is without a doubt, hands down the SCARIEST version.

It's the scariest because even with all weapons you're still nearly helpless. The weapons they give you are pathetic and they're so stingy with giving you ammo. I think it's impossible to finish the game playing as the Marine and not using cheat codes. I got AvP and Doom with my Jag when I got it. I was much more impressed with Doom. It's sooo much faster and smoother. It doesn't take 5 seconds for you to turn around and all the walls aren't at 90 degree angles(puke). AvP is just like the Wolfenstein engine with different graphics.

AvP was the sole reason I bought a Jag a few years back. Back before the PC games were released. Heck, the premise alone in the game is better than what they're planning for AvP2, the film.

Sadly, genre film fans do not make movies. Big corporations do.

Russ

Edited by Rook3

Are you so sure the Jags AvP was such a small influence? Apparently Andrew Whittaker, the pivotal man in Jag AvP development was a consultant for the AvP movie.

Yes i'm pretty sure since the god damn movie had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the Jaguar version incorporated into it.

The movie i saw did not have space marines fighting aliens and predators, the movie I saw did not take place on a space outpost with a predator ship and alien ship docked with it. So yes, i would say the Jag AVP was either very very small or a non influential factor in the movie whatsoever.

It's the scariest because even with all weapons you're still nearly helpless. The weapons they give you are pathetic and they're so stingy with giving you ammo. I think it's impossible to finish the game playing as the Marine and not using cheat codes. I got AvP and Doom with my Jag when I got it. I was much more impressed with Doom. It's sooo much faster and smoother. It doesn't take 5 seconds for you to turn around and all the walls aren't at 90 degree angles(puke). AvP is just like the Wolfenstein engine with different graphics.

especially at the beginning. You can't stand and kill an alien without getting raped. You have to run backwards and shoot at the same time, every time. Then you get the pleasure of close quarters and having no choice but running through the aliens acid blood.

Yes i'm pretty sure since the god damn movie had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the Jaguar version incorporated into it.

The movie i saw did not have space marines fighting aliens and predators, the movie I saw did not take place on a space outpost with a predator ship and alien ship docked with it. So yes, i would say the Jag AVP was either very very small or a non influential factor in the movie whatsoever.

Well, I'm glad you got it all figured out there Jagfan. :roll:

That´s not what he said. Theoretically, Andrew Whitaker could have influenced the movie to some degree, based on his exploits and experience from the game. I agree with the fact that the movie would´ve been made, Jag version or no Jag version.

Nobody said so either. There´s a big difference between influencing the movie and having the movie based more or less on a storyline.

The movie still sucked and brought shame to both franchises...

Yeah it was pretty bad.

About 6 months before the movie came out, Poul/paul whatever Anderson was on Howard Stern promoting the movie and some hardcore AvP fans called in and were telling him that the real fans dont want him doing the movie and that he would screw it up. Of course he denied he was going to screw it up.

as long as you turn off ur brain the avp movie is a fun diversion. nuff said on that.

jag avp was a huge driving factor for system sales in the stores I ran, and we were almost always selling out of it.

For me, I felt Jag avp was more of an RPG experience than a FPS. The game played in a persistent world that felt very real and very creepy. No game has every gotten under my skin and scared me the way jag avp did. On more than one occassion i dropped my controller and jumped back. NO OTHER game can I say that about.

Fun/neat bit: use the glasses from snes jim power 3d give the game a very awesome 3d-into the screen effect as long as you are moving (the effect mostly vanishes when the screen is still.)

I think my store sold maybe 10 jags, in the two years we carried 'em and I -WORKED- for those sales. When the Jag-CD came out, I had the vlm running on all our screens all day. I pimped the Jag hard. All for naught :-(