IGNORED

UPDATED 4-25 FUTURE 2600 RELEASE LIST FROM SEPTEMBER 1983

Joystick Jolter

Hi,

Found an old copy of my newsletter Joystick Jolter, which originally began as a

newsletter meant for the Toy Store market. Toy stores had no idea of what was

coming out soon in the videogame market so I tried to close that hole. It wasn't

anything compared to today's technology but I did get quite a bit of recognition out

of it. Store's also had no idea what they were ordering and after they got the games

and people found out how bad they were, for the most part they were stuck with them.

E.T. in particular, in fact that may have really helped my newsletter to grow a bit faster.

Magazines of the day and still today have a couple of month turn around, so their info

and reviews were way late. My newsletter with a 1 or 2 day turn around gave me the

opportunity to get info to the stores in many cases before the games were released.

There by saving them some money. As I looked through the issue I actually laughed

at some of the reviews, calling some of the stick graphics of the day beautiful or great

or any words that if you look at them compared to today's graphics and gameplay are

really not much to look at or play. I hope you enjoy looking.

042403.jpg

HERE'S A LITTLE MORE INFO TO SEE FURTHER INTO WHAT TIGERVISION HAD ON

THE BURNER.

Image1.jpg

Edited by Joystick Jolter

Wow that is a great list of vapourware. Most have been found in some shape or form. I wonder if the ones that had a month next to them such as Kickman meant that they were almost completed? Thanks for sharing with us ;)

If they had a month next to them, that was the latest reported release date. I found that

sometimes the dates were way off. Companies listed a date to sort of dangle something

in front of both retailers and the general public's eyes. I guess eye candy would be a

good term to use. I think I have a CBS press kit around, I'll check if there's anything in

it that would give any clue. Was there ever a screen released on the game that you can

remember?

Edited by Joystick Jolter

Hi,

Found an old copy of my newsletter Joystick Jolter, which originally began as a

newsletter meant for the Toy Store market. Toy stores had no idea of what was

coming out soon in the videogame market so I tried to close that hole. It wasn't

anything compared to today's technology but I did get quite a bit of recognition out

of it. Store's also had no idea what they were ordering and after they got the games

and people found out how bad they were, for the most part they were stuck with them.

Magazines of the day and still today have a couple of month turn around, so their info

and reviews were way late. My newsletter with a 1 or 2 day turn around gave me the

opportunity to get info to the stores in many cases before the games were released.

There by saving them some money. As I looked through the issue I actually laughed

at some of the reviews, calling some of the stick graphics of the day beautiful or great

or any words that if you look at them compared to today's graphics and gameplay are

really not much to look at or play. I hope you enjoy looking.

042403.jpg

This is all interesting. I see a lot of prototypes in there as well as companies that I've never heard of (ie The Great Game Co., Broderbund). Some of these games listed are legendary, and some of these games people own prototypes for but can't release due to copyrights (i.e. Locomotion). I would love to play Locomotion one day *begs unmentioned owner for rom* :lust:

"This is all interesting. I see a lot of prototypes in there as well as companies that I've never heard of (ie The Great Game Co., Broderbund). Some of these games listed are legendary, and some of these games people own prototypes for but can't release due to copyrights (i.e. Locomotion). I would love to play Locomotion one day *begs unmentioned owner for rom"

Broderbund were the programmers of Karateka, Choplifter and Prince Of Persia among others!

Mythicon had a third game planned :? Wasn't the 2 they released bad enough? :sad:

rocky, magnum p.i., mash 2, licensed games a go-go i never knew were 2600 bound... and broderbund about to throw their hat in the 2600 ring, never knew that either... and what exactly is the Amiga Multiplay, never heard of that either... was that an early name for their graduate-like thing? lots of fun past-crystal ball looking :-)

Looks like Realsports Driving may have become Pole Position:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software//...oleposition.htm

-John

Propane,

Although I have my doubts it is a very slight possibility. Pole Position had been a

very popular arcade stand up and was ported for the 2600. It did come out though

right around the time of that list. In that same issue was my TOP TWENTY list where

Pole Position was number 12 and had not been on the list the month before.

Anthony

Very interesting stuff, Anthony.

Especially:

RealSports Driving (Atari)

Worm Whomper (Activision) - Most probably an Intellivision title.

A-Team (Studio Games)

Thanks for sharing!

8)

This jogged my memory for I do remember reading that Worm Whomper was a proposed Intellivision title. Mind you Beam Rider was suppossed to be an Intellivision exclusive and they ported it over to the 2600 so perhaps somewhere out there,there is a prototype just waiting to be found ;)

Looks like Realsports Driving may have become Pole Position:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software//...oleposition.htm

-John

Propane,

Although I have my doubts it is a very slight possibility. Pole Position had been a

very popular arcade stand up and was ported for the 2600. It did come out though

right around the time of that list. In that same issue was my TOP TWENTY list where

Pole Position was number 12 and had not been on the list the month before.

Anthony

About the only thing I can think of is that Atari might have thought that they did not have the rights to Pole Position and called it RS Driving instead until they secured the rights.

Tempest

Quite interesting.

- Since when was Philips/Magnavox going to release anything under their own name for competing systems? The only game I know of that saw the light of day was for Colecovision and was released under the Probe 2000 name.

- Telesys Monkeys & Bouncing Baby?

- Studio Games? Who were they? And what's with A-Team? Wasn't that a Fox license that was eventually turned into Saboteur before being scrapped entirely?

- That's a lotta Tigervisions that never saw the light of day -- Intuition, Super Crush, Sky Lancer and Changes. Were they working on any of these during or after Espial?

- Fox: M*A*S*H II? Wonder what that would have been about...

- CBS: Kickman - wonder if that was gonna be the same as the C64 game of the same name?

- Coleco: Rocky ... wonder if that would have been like the Colecovision Super Action game?

- Broderbund: This would have been really cool if they'd really done anything. Choplifter 2600 anyone?

- Commavid: Rush Hour, Kickapoo and Stick 'Em?

- Sirius: Heh... more Intellivision ports.

- Fox: M*A*S*H II? Wonder what that would have been about...

Fox held a "design a M*A*SH game" contest back then (first prize was a Jeep, runner-ups got a TI-994a - I won one of the computers). I assume it would have been based on the winning idea, had the crash not happened.

I thought pole position way pre-dated the RS series? it was silver label. RS is red...

My RS games are all silver.

I thought pole position way pre-dated the RS series? it was silver label. RS is red...

The only released RealSports title with a red label is RealSports Boxing. The rest are silver.

Which was based on the Bally/Midway arcade game

Er... right. Now I remember. (Didn't much care for the game m'self. :))

Fox held a "design a M*A*SH game" contest back then (first prize was a Jeep, runner-ups got a TI-994a - I won one of the computers). I assume it would have been based on the winning idea, had the crash not happened.

Damn, that's cool! If they picked runners-up then they must have picked a winner, too... is it known who won the jeep, and therefore had the winning design?