IGNORED

NEW MIO production run.

MEtalGuy66

• 3 weeks later...

This project is still going!

Unfortunately, my life is a wreck at the moment, I am trying to write research papers for 3 college classes at the same time, on a condensed 10-week summer session.

Im also in the midst of some pretty huge lifestylwe changes (and have been for several months). My house is in a terrible state of disarray, as I am "weeding out" quite a bit of my furtiture and belongings in preparation for the possibility of moving to a larger facility.. er I mean house..

Ill try and find time to at least update the webpage soon..

Warerat, if you see this, I need you to call me because I lost my cellphone an no longer have your number.

This project is still going!

Unfortunately, my life is a wreck at the moment, I am trying to write research papers for 3 college classes at the same time, on a condensed 10-week summer session.

Im also in the midst of some pretty huge lifestylwe changes (and have been for several months). My house is in a terrible state of disarray, as I am "weeding out" quite a bit of my furtiture and belongings in preparation for the possibility of moving to a larger facility.. er I mean house..

Ill try and find time to at least update the webpage soon..

Warerat, if you see this, I need you to call me because I lost my cellphone an no longer have your number.

Good to hear from you Ken. Keep plugging away. Things do get better!!! I know I hate lifestyle changes!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Will the new EPROM firmware work in the old MIOs?

Yep. Unfortunately, we are nowhere near even beta testing stage on the new firmware. Both warerat and I have huge acedemic loads this semester. No development is being done on this until the fall, at the earliest..

• 3 months later...

If you want one (or more) included with your order, let me know quick as I plan to order these soon.

Why would I want to cover this

newmio2.jpg

:D:D:D:D

I've been reading this thread since it started, and I just have to say it's pretty damn cool to see a project as complex as this still be produced for the good quarter-century old Atari 800.

Even right down to the circuit board marked, "Atari-Age"

:)

I've been reading this thread since it started, and I just have to say it's pretty damn cool to see a project as complex as this still be produced for the good quarter-century old Atari 800.

Even right down to the circuit board marked, "Atari-Age"

:)

That's very cool, I somehow missed that image before. :) :)

..Al

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. Unfortunately, we are nowhere near even beta testing stage on the new firmware. Both warerat and I have huge acedemic loads this semester. No development is being done on this until the fall, at the earliest..

When you are ready please let me know I would love to hook a real hard drive to my MIO!!

When you are ready please let me know I would love to hook a real hard drive to my MIO!!

Well, there are several directions we might go at this point, and I need to get with Warerat and discuss some major possibilities.

I am seriously considering having the boards reproduced because the amount of "blue wiring" necessary with the current board is becomming detrimental to production. There are several things that could be deleted from the current board layout, quite a few "fixes" that could be integrated, and possibly a few things added that would facilitate better control of the SCSI interface. There are some decisions that need to be made here based on what is/is not possible with firmware changes alone.

Well, there are several directions we might go at this point, and I need to get with Warerat and discuss some major possibilities.

I am seriously considering having the boards reproduced because the amount of "blue wiring" necessary with the current board is becomming detrimental to production. There are several things that could be deleted from the current board layout, quite a few "fixes" that could be integrated, and possibly a few things added that would facilitate better control of the SCSI interface. There are some decisions that need to be made here based on what is/is not possible with firmware changes alone.

Folks should appreciate that if it wasn't for those blue-wire mods and those after-the-fact circuits to get the SIMM to play right with the original design, it would be a no-brainer plopping parts of a board and shipping it out. Hey! What, now you say you don't like doing all these blue-wire mods? Isn't that the essence of the whole thing? ;)

We can get together this weekend to hammer out some details if you'd like.

Folks should appreciate that if it wasn't for those blue-wire mods and those after-the-fact circuits to get the SIMM to play right with the original design, it would be a no-brainer plopping parts of a board and shipping it out. Hey! What, now you say you don't like doing all these blue-wire mods? Isn't that the essence of the whole thing? ;)

We can get together this weekend to hammer out some details if you'd like.

That'd be lovely. Do you like indian food?

• 2 months later...
...I am seriously considering having the boards reproduced because the amount of "blue wiring" necessary with the current board is becomming detrimental to production...

Folks should appreciate that if it wasn't for those blue-wire mods and those after-the-fact circuits to get the SIMM to play right with the original design, it would be a no-brainer plopping parts of a board and shipping it out...

@MEtalGuy66

Didn't you have at least a few of the boards completed a while back? Or are there still problems with the electronics and if so, what level of functionality do we have at this point? Would you be able to send out the parts for an unassembled board and some pointers on the blue-wire mods, etc. for any of us who are inclined to assemble them ourselves?

...I am seriously considering having the boards reproduced because the amount of "blue wiring" necessary with the current board is becomming detrimental to production...

Folks should appreciate that if it wasn't for those blue-wire mods and those after-the-fact circuits to get the SIMM to play right with the original design, it would be a no-brainer plopping parts of a board and shipping it out...

@MEtalGuy66

Didn't you have at least a few of the boards completed a while back? Or are there still problems with the electronics and if so, what level of functionality do we have at this point? Would you be able to send out the parts for an unassembled board and some pointers on the blue-wire mods, etc. for any of us who are inclined to assemble them ourselves?

I could do that.. But youd be pissed off when you realized the amount of work involved in assembling one to functional spec..

The level of functionality we have right now is exactly the same as the original MIO..

The problem Id have with that is that some of these boards have been found to have vias that did not get through plated. heh. So I am having to check every single hole.. I think theres like 1500 or so holes.. I am seriously considering having the boards remade at this point (at my own cost) just to see the project completed in a manner that I would be comfortable with.

To be honest, I cant even build one of these things and get it RIGHT on the first try.. I have had to track down problems on just about every board so far. And I have some pretty advanced equipment here to do that kind of thing. Id really prefer not to start HUGE, long-distance, indepth diagnostic sessions with everyone when they assembled the units and have problems..

Remaking the boards would cost me somewhere around $600.00US and would avert a TON of potential assembly errors. I already have made all the necessary changes to the cad files to produce a zero-wire assembly-spec board..

At the moment, Im a little short on cash though..

What would be great is if you made some kind of a committment to the people who sent you money,

If you don't have the time to fix and deliver the boards you have and you don't have the money to make them right,

then either make a committment to when you are going to have them done, or tell everyone they are screwed and

take your lumps.

I think you would get a whole lot more respect from folks if you were honest with them one way or the other than keeping folks hanging indefinitely.

I could be wrong and if so I apoligize.

What would be great is if you made some kind of a committment to the people who sent you money,

If you don't have the time to fix and deliver the boards you have and you don't have the money to make them right,

then either make a committment to when you are going to have them done, or tell everyone they are screwed and

take your lumps.

I think you would get a whole lot more respect from folks if you were honest with them one way or the other than keeping folks hanging indefinitely.

I could be wrong and if so I apoligize.

He has committed to finish the project even with the unforeseen problems he has encounted.

I believe he is studying or working so this project is an after hours job so it could take a while.

I take my hat off to him for this huge undertaking.

I personally found it hard enough to upgrade a 256K MIO to a 1 Meg. Many holes to clear of solder, many chips to fit then finally getting the thing to run stable.

James