IGNORED

NEW MIO production run.

MEtalGuy66

Haha, Metalguy, that's a little harsh. I definitely do more than play games on my A8, though I'm not sure what a "power user" of the A8 even means at this point in time. :P I can program in macro assembler, use several music composition apps that work flawlessly, and save everything to a HD image that I can then back up from the CF card using a two-line batch script on my Mac. Compared with what's available for the c64 in this area, I definitely feel like a "power user" on my A8! :D

Try running a disk based version of SpartaDOS other than 3.3a pro (which the guy who wrote it doesn't even reccomend running).. I dont consider any MENU DRIVEN DOS worth using...

Try running hardisk utilities like DiskRX on it.. Or ANY DISK UTILITIY that utilizes PERCOM tables..

MyIDE is not a hard disk interface.. It's just a hack to hook an IDE device (Well, heh... half of the device anyway) onto your atari's data bus, and an OS patch to make it work... And that is the plain simple truth..

Its so rudimentary, in fact, that if you give me an atari, an IDE device, the three TTL ICs, and a soldering iron, I can hook you up a "MyIDE" without even looking at any docs...

99% is a rediculous figure.. Theres no way in hell a MyIDE equipped machine can run 99% of available software.. 75% may be a closer estimate on software "across the board," but when you start talking serious OSes and disk manipulation utilities, its closer to 10%, if that.. (not taking into account software written specifically for the MyIDE which doesnt hold a candle to whats available for system compliant hardisk interfaces)..

And lastly, I suggest you seriously research what IS available for the C=64 before making a comment like that.. Theres quite a few options for direct use of IDE devices (CF cards), hardisks, etc.. And theres quite a few people developing hardware for it on a VERY active basis that is much more indepth (in both design and functionality) than MyIDE.. Im surprised none of the commodore guys who read these forums bothered to flame you on that one..

botom line.. MyIDE is easy, fast, portable, and affordable... If you don't care about your machine conforming to system standards, it's the best value around.. But it really cant be compared to any system-compliant hardisk solution.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Haha, Metalguy, that's a little harsh. I definitely do more than play games on my A8, though I'm not sure what a "power user" of the A8 even means at this point in time. :P I can program in macro assembler, use several music composition apps that work flawlessly, and save everything to a HD image that I can then back up from the CF card using a two-line batch script on my Mac. Compared with what's available for the c64 in this area, I definitely feel like a "power user" on my A8! :D

And lastly, I suggest you seriously research what IS available for the C=64 before making a comment like that.. Theres quite a few options for direct use of IDE devices (CF cards), hardisks, etc.. And theres quite a few people developing hardware for it on a VERY active basis that is much more indepth (in both design and functionality) than MyIDE.. Im surprised none of the commodore guys who read these forums bothered to flame you on that one..

Here. This will should make us Atari guys cry.

Hard Drives, 65816 accelerators, and other cool stuff

Allan

Easy, easy...we're all friends here. :)

I am aware of what's available for the c64, and while there are some amazing hw upgrades, the only really viable 1541 hardware emulation device is not immediately available...and costs a whopping $173. Ouch.

I'm with you on the SpartaDOS thing. It's a bummer.

I'm not debating that the MyIDE is as powerful/useful as an MIO for the extreme end of the power user scale...I was just commenting that shoe-horning MyIDE as *only* being useful for people jonesing to play a few old games is a little narrow. You can squeak a little more out of it...I manage to. Just.

Try running a disk based version of SpartaDOS other than 3.3a pro (which the guy who wrote it doesn't even reccomend running).. I dont consider any MENU DRIVEN DOS worth using...

Agreed... I don't use anything but Sparta & similar...

And I also have to agree with you about the MyIDE assessment. I have an internal one and the flashcart version and don't even boot up either one of them. They cannot touch my MIO/HD system.

There's only one problem with the MIO, you can't use it with an Atari 800! If Wererat ever finishes his XL/XE module for the 800, I'm never going back to the XL/XE line.

Still, the MIO sounds like it could be fun to play with. Maybe I can get my hands on one some day.

Tempest

I know this has probably been answered elsewhere, but is there any sort of SCSI to IDE or flash based SCSI option that works with the MIO?

I use the following for my samplers: http://scsiforsamplers.com/all_products.asp?KDD-4GB and was wondering if anyone has experimented with such devices. I do realize that the MIO only works with a subset of the available SCSI drives of that era, but was just wondering.

I've actually got an MIO in my closet that I've never used (sitting next to my ATR8000 which I DID use!)...and all this talk has got me intrigued.

Pfft... MyIDE is MORE compatable than PBI interfaces? Thats rediculously wrong..

The cart/ROM OS version is more CONVENIENT for games, yes... Because it has the built in disk image launcher..

I should clarify that I meant for games, and specifically full disk games. Compatiblity was probably a poor choice of words, or at least I should have classed the PBI devices higher. However, the inability with the MIO (currently, I can't wait for your firmware upgrade!) to have more than 8 hard drive parititions, and the inability to swap disks easily "in-game", make the MyIDE a better solution for games.

If all you want to do is play games, the MyIDE is a great choice because it is cheap, simple, and it provides a system patched into your OS for actually launching disk images... It is not in any way shape or form a viable "power user" oriented hardisk system. It does not conform to any sort of standard for expansion devices, and therefore, you cant expect all software to work on it..

Yes, I agree, I made a poor choice of words in my post above, hopefully I've corrected that now. I'm aware of the limitations of the MyIDE system, since I've had one for quite a few years, and wrote a few utilities for it too.

PBI devices are definitely a better choice for someone who wants a "power-user" system.

Oh, and there is absolutely no reason a MyIDE interface cannot be used with SpartaDOS X. Someone needs to write a driver for it. No custom OS would be required. In fact, a driver was in progress, but seems to have somewhat stalled. :(

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

Allan

Maybe not...

Have you inquired about the actual *availability* of those devices? A web site and product listing doesn't mean you can buy those things.

I have quite a few of the C64 "goodies" that are no longer available since CMD exited. (I don't have a SuperCPU, unfortunately.)

Not to say that the C64 community isn't pushing the envelope with their larger user/developer base, but the grass isn't necessarily greener over there.

-Larry

Edited by Larry

Allan

Maybe not...

Have you actually inquired about the actual *availability* of those devices? A web site and product listing doesn't mean you can buy those things.

I have quite a few of the C64 "goodies" that are no longer available since CMD exited. (I don't have a SuperCPU, unfortunately.)

Not to say that the C64 community isn't pushing the envelope with their larger user/developer base, but the grass isn't necessarily greener over there.

-Larry

It was my understanding that an individual took over the whole stock of CMD and was re-making everything. From what your saying, it sounds like that hasn't worked out. That sucks because they had a lot of nice stuff.

On the subject of hardware for other 8-bit computers, the Apple II Apple IIE and IIGS and TRS-80 have some really nice hardware for them.

Allan

On the subject of hardware for other 8-bit computers, the Apple II Apple IIE and IIGS and TRS-80 have some really nice hardware for them.

Allan

Which is great...but none of those computers have SID. :ponder:

Believe me, since I've been back to working with my c64's the last two years or so, I've accumulated what practical upgrade h/w I've been able to find...but there's a line that you have to cross to put your name on a waiting list for a device that's approaching $200 for what is, at this point in my life, nothing more than a closet-hobby. If I still considered music a career, or even a serious hobby, I'd have no problem with dropping a few hundred bucks (considering I had about $15k worth of equipment in my "amateur" studio at one time, eek) ...but there's a lot of other things on my agenda these days, not the least of which are kids who are significantly more expensive a hobby than music, ice hockey, paintball, martial arts, or any of the other things I've been really into in my life have been. :lol:

If there were something similar to the MyIDE for the c64 - low cost, that allowed me to run a decent assembler as well as all of the music software I wanted - I'd buy three of them in a heartbeat.

Oh, and there is absolutely no reason a MyIDE interface cannot be used with SpartaDOS X. Someone needs to write a driver for it. No custom OS would be required. In fact, a driver was in progress, but seems to have somewhat stalled. :(

Yep.. Kyle Dain (formerly of FTE) has written one, and is currently ironing out the last few bugs..

Well, I need to seriously get back in the lab and build some more MIOs.. My house is in such a state of wreck from all this hurricane disaster crap and my wife is busy with her school work (which also got delayed several weeks because of the hurricane, so now the students & instreuctors are all trying to play "catch up").. I still have to have 3 more contractors give me estimates on repairs for my house, and then see if the insurance company approves it all..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

• 2 months later...
Well, I need to seriously get back in the lab and build some more MIOs.. My house is in such a state of wreck from all this hurricane disaster crap and my wife is busy with her school work (which also got delayed several weeks because of the hurricane, so now the students & instreuctors are all trying to play "catch up").. I still have to have 3 more contractors give me estimates on repairs for my house, and then see if the insurance company approves it all..

Well, its been a couple months since a post, and I've just passed 2 and 1/2 years since I sent my money. Anything?

Ken I emailed you directly a few days ago and got no reply, and no bounce.

Rob

Edited by RobPattonDotCom

Rob if that is truely the case why have you not filed against him? It only costs $50.00 to file, and you not only get your money but any legal expenses back when you win. RULES vary state to state, your mileage may vary. Some places you simply report it to the local police and they reach out and touch the juristictions involved for you. No money involved that way. So play nice guys!

No muss no fuss. I sincerely doubt this is a problem either of you can not work out.

Well, its been a couple months since a post, and I've just passed 2 and 1/2 years since I sent my money. Anything?

Ken I emailed you directly a few days ago and got no reply, and no bounce.

Rob

Heh. Tellya what... I'm in the midst of so many problems I will not be touching an MIO before new years....

If you are pissed off , ROB, Ill be glad to mail you a nice big bag of parts... Since thats all you paid for... NOONE has paid me a dime for my labor... And truly, the price I charged ended up falling far short of the parts costs...

Im not complaining about this, but you shouldnt either. I have been steadily assembling & testing these units as time permits, right up until my house got hit by major hurricane damage.

I have shipped over half of the MIOs, in the order that they were paid for, and had no complaints whatsoever from anyone... I have 2 more units ready to ship at this moment, but your order was for three, and I don't believe that you are the next person on the list.

I'm sorry I didnt respond to your email quickly, I get quite a volume of email these days. I do respond to private messsages on this forum as soon as I see them, and I check this forum many times per day...

Tellya what I will do... When I get home tonight, Ill post the remaining order list, and start updating it every time I ship one... That way you can get some idea of where you are "in line".

MEtalGuy is not a buisiness. People paid for parts, which he has said before he would give them. He took on a huge project for the benefit of the community and ran into a problem with a PCB supplier and a natural disaster.

I'm sure adding the staus/update will make the remaining buyers feel better. If not... As I said before, if anyone who is on the waiting list doesn't want to wait anymore, let me know and I'll take your spot. My next payday is 1 January 2009 and I can send you what you paid then. :D

MEtalGuy is not a buisiness. People paid for parts, which he has said before he would give them. He took on a huge project for the benefit of the community and ran into a problem with a PCB supplier and a natural disaster.

I'm sure adding the staus/update will make the remaining buyers feel better. If not... As I said before, if anyone who is on the waiting list doesn't want to wait anymore, let me know and I'll take your spot. My next payday is 1 January 2009 and I can send you what you paid then. :D

DITTO, but my payday is now. :)

I could always use another MIO, mine has been in service since ICD first made it. So if you don't want yours Rob, I can always pay metal guy and you can take your money back.

He seemed to respond quickly enough when we all posted about it here. Perhaps that was the avenue to go the first time around. I have seen the actual product so I know it is real.

MetalGuy, I stuff boards for about 3 years with ITT. You need a stuffer or repair guy let me know.

Sorry to hear about your house damage. Mine got bulldozed for a fireworks factory, so I know the feeling.

I knew everyone could get along!

DITTO, but my payday is now. :)

It would seem if he does not want to wait there are more than enough others willing to pay you and wait so he can have his money back. Then at least there won't be any more flack about it.

Looks like you had to rework the board I saw a little, did they mess up on the second PCB run as well?

Beat them up I'll help!

Heh. Tellya what... I'm in the midst of so many problems I will not be touching an MIO before new years....

If you are pissed off , ROB, Ill be glad to mail you a nice big bag of parts... Since thats all you paid for... NOONE has paid me a dime for my labor... And truly, the price I charged ended up falling far short of the parts costs...

Im not complaining about this, but you shouldnt either. I have been steadily assembling & testing these units as time permits, right up until my house got hit by major hurricane damage.

I have shipped over half of the MIOs, in the order that they were paid for, and had no complaints whatsoever from anyone... I have 2 more units ready to ship at this moment, but your order was for three, and I don't believe that you are the next person on the list.

I'm sorry I didnt respond to your email quickly, I get quite a volume of email these days. I do respond to private messsages on this forum as soon as I see them, and I check this forum many times per day...

Tellya what I will do... When I get home tonight, Ill post the remaining order list, and start updating it every time I ship one... That way you can get some idea of where you are "in line".

How much were these again? I sure wouldn't mind getting one myself.

..Al

Prices were:

MIO Mainboard, fully populated/tested functional $150.00US

XE PBI EXTNDR board $40.00US

MIO Case $25.00

I have my MEtalGuy MIO and it is beautiful. :lust: :cool:

Thanks, that's really a bargain considering the amount of time that has gone into the design and production of these units..

..Al

I was ready to let this sit after seeing a reply from Ken, but there have just been to many emails and messages for me to ignore it. Also; I'm old and grouchy.

Wow, funny way the group works. I'd love to copy some offline messages I've gotten, but I'll be fair to those that have sent them expecting privacy. Why people would be so eager to even suggest legal action is a fine example of whats wrong in the world.

For those that wish to advise me on the law: I was in Law enforcement for more years than I want to remember, and my wife is an attorney. I've got plenty of legal options, should I choose to use them. Unless your name is Bert Graham, or you work for him, Thanks, I've got it covered.

For those eager to trash me for a hint of a complaint:

I've got $525.00 tied up in this (armchair lawyers, take note the amount is over $500)

I have no idea who Ken is. Never met him, never talked to him on the phone. He seemed like a decent guy, dedicated to moving forward with a platform I love, I thought the idea was cool. At the time, he could have easily been a Nigerian scammer that just got tired of sending emails trying to give away millions of dollars to random people I had no way of knowing. Still I sent my $ for an MIO, it sounded like a cool project. I bought an MIO back in the day, still have it. Have a dozen SCSI hard drives that work with it. Don't use it, may never use it again. Probly wont ever use these 3, but its an AWESOME project.

I can't give enuf props to the group that reverse engineered it, and had the balls to start out on it. Its past my skillset. My o-scope has only ever been used at parties to give a funny display based on the music playing. Yea, not my thing.

After a couple weeks, and several talks with Ken via aim, it did not sound like the project was going to get off the ground, due to lack of interest. So I went ahead and bought two more, for a total of 3, to help make sure it did get the min # of orders, and move forward. Shortly after, I purchased 3 cases when they became available. I was just doing anything I could do to help get the project going.

And off we went.

A lot has happened, twenty some pages of messages in this thread. Some bad news, some good news, and some great accomplishments.

Here we sit, its been two and a half years.

To those that have an opinion on this:

There is no clear listing showing any status, filled orders, nothing. Just vague mentions of complete units. I think this could easily be corrected, plenty of time is spent on documentation and schematics. Surely 30 secs of html could be invested to keep a status of orders.

Ken is never on IM any more, he had not replied to my email, and there hasn't been a posting on the thread for 2 months. I think this buys me the right to be concerned.

Pardon me if after two and a half years, I wonder about my $525.00, and you'll excuse me if I don't put much value in what you have to say if you haven't paid your money and waited the time like I have. If you don't have money on this table, I suggest you find a game somewhere else. If you insist, feel free to send me $525, and in 2.5 years I'll send it back, I promise.

Now I feel the need to clarify one aspect of this. Ken I don't really appreciate the threat of "send a bag of parts, cause that's all you paid for"

Since I've pdf'ed versions of the thread over time, I can look back and search it. The first time you EVER mention the "you only bought a bag of parts" is when you use it as a threat to control the unhappy. This was NEVER sold as a "MIO KIT" If it had been a kit, it would have been clearly marketed as such, and there would have been 75% less sales. Since day one I've planned on sending you a "tip" for all your hard work, as I know you were make little to nothing on the project, but I would have never been so eager to buy a kit. It was never marketed as such. Lets just be honest there.

I have no interest in starting a giant pissing match, its a waste of my time and money, and it would impact any further development in this project. If, for some crazy reason, a pissing match is what we both decide we want, I've done my research, I'll be happy to hop over to Hobby field and we can waste more of each others time and money.

This is NOT what I want.

You know, life sucks some times. I understand you've had some problems. I understand problems. Since this project started, I've gotten married, had a child, watched a tree fall on my house during the storms, watched my father lay dying of Leukemia, lost both my pets, been given the gift of cancer myself, and watched 40% of my retirement vanish at the hands of some prick on Wall Street. Don't even get me started on the elections.

Ken: I think your previous reply was acceptable. Please do not take this as an attack, its not how it was written.

I understand the December is a busy month, and that I won't walk to the mailbox and find MIOs there this year. What I WOULD like to see an updated status page of whos are completed, which you indicated you would be willing to do. I also think that some sort of posting every couple of weeks is more than fair to those of us still waiting in line. Better communication could have eliminated most of this headache.

Again, I give props for being willing to start off on such a project. I am sad that it has not been as smooth as I had hoped it would go when it started.

Ken, I would prefer to continue our conversation via private email, at the end of the day this involves only you and I.

Rob

Ken, I would prefer to continue our conversation via private email, at the end of the day this involves only you and I.

Rob

I would have preferred you did it that way to begin with... Sorry I didnt see your email..

And I dont mean the bag of parts offer as a threat.. I just meant it as an option..

Personally, Id just as soon build all of them so they can be tested to my satisfaction, and we dont end up with future issues, but there are those who can and are willing to do it themselves and accept any/all headaches that may arise. So far, I have not offered (and dont plan to offer)"kits" to anyone. But as you said, you (and others) have a quite a bit invested and are pretty far back on the list.. So I figured I'd at least give you the option..

I do have the right to remind people that I am not being compensated for this in any way, and thus, its something I have to do "IN BETWEEN" my personal/professional obligations. Of course everyone understands this..

People I still owe MIOs to:

(this is the order that payment was recieved, and that I plan to ship them)

Dan Olson - 3 MIO boards, 2 XTNDR boards

Pontus Oldberg - 2 MIO boards, 2 XTNDR boards

Rob Patton - 3 complete assembled MIOs.

JGS Enterprizes - 2 complete assembled MIOs, 2 XTNDR boards.

Toan Ho - (Lives down the street from me and is actually involved in the project, but has not actually taken posession of his MIOs yet)

everyone else already has their MIOs.

Edited by MEtalGuy66