IGNORED

NEW MIO production run.

MEtalGuy66

Got my MIO today. Actually Saturday but I was out of town. What an amazing job!!! Of course I had to crack it open and check out the handywork. Ken, you are da man!! Thanks again for your incredible hard work and time. This is a truly amazing product.

Some months ago I found an excellent web-site relating to circuit board repairs and modifications. Follow the link below:

http://www.circuitrework.com/guides/guides.shtml

Point your mouse pointer at the 'Guide Book' tab and select the index to one of the nine chapters. The information on these pages have been prepared by seasoned professionals.

Thanks, that's a nice site and great info! Now if someone could just give me the steady hands of a 30-year old!

-Larry

Don't let age discourage!!! If I can do this at 46, you have it made!!! Scary s**t though!!!

post-6701-1211821151_thumb.jpg

I wish my eyes were 10 years younger. cannot see real close any more, making things harder...............

James

Got my MIO today. Actually Saturday but I was out of town. What an amazing job!!! Of course I had to crack it open and check out the handywork. Ken, you are da man!! Thanks again for your incredible hard work and time. This is a truly amazing product.

Thanks.. I'm glad you like it..

I got married friday.. Got 2 more MIOs built sunday morning.. Still gotta burn-in test them, fit case, and package them up..

Thanks.. I'm glad you like it..

I got married friday.. Got 2 more MIOs built sunday morning.. Still gotta burn-in test them, fit case, and package them up..

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, you got married on a Friday and were building MIOs on Sunday? Now that is hardcore professionalism!! :D

Heh. Well. hardcore something, anywayze... :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

OK.. I have run out of SIMMS for the MIO..

The ones I need are 60ns 1meg 30 pin SIMMS with 8 or 9 chips. (1MEG x 1 chips) on them..

The ones with 2 or 3 chips on them WONT WORK..

Basically, the DRAM control logic in the MIO will not work right with anything else. I spent all weekend trying to come up with any "easy workaround" to increase the range of SIMM compatability, but it doesnt look like thats gonna be possible without adding quite a bit of additional circuitry. The problem has to do with how fast the chips can perform a refresh cycle in between read/write cycles. The MIO's DRAM control logic is not a very "flexible" design, in terms of timing, and in reality, we are damn lucky it works at all.

I will adress this issue in the 16meg "add-on" board so that any type/speed SIMM can be used from 256k, all the way up to 16megs. But without making ANOTHER REVISION of the MIO main board, it looks like we are stuck with ONLY SIMMS that use 60ns 1MEG x 1 chips for the basic 1meg configuration...

If anyone has any of these they can donate, It would keep me from having to eat yet another expense on this project.. I havent checked to see what the obsolete memory sharks will sell them for, but I need at least 8-10 pieces to finish up the inital orders.. I have 2 more MIOs ready to ship out, minus the SIMMs..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

If anyone has any of these they can donate, It would keep me from having to eat yet another expense on this project.. I havent checked to see what the obsolete memory sharks will sell them for, but I need at least 8-10 pieces to finish up the inital orders.. I have 2 more MIOs ready to ship out, minus the SIMMs..

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I had about 2 dozen assorted sims and most have been made into key rings for my brother (a school teacher) to give out as prizes to his class. I'm vacationing in Florida for a few weeks right now, but when I get home, I'll see if I have any keychains... I mean sims remain (if you are still looking for them by then).

Bob

Congrats to you both.

post-7804-1214235623_thumb.jpg

If you get desperate, I might be able to spare a few. Been saving them for retro upgrades.

Well, for retro upgrades, it shouldnt matter which ones you use.. I'll swap you 2 for 1 on any 60ns "8 or 9 chip" ones you have.. And really, from a power-consumption standpoint, the 1meg x 4 chips (the 2 or 3 chip ones) are the way to go..

I have plenty of 1 meg SIMMs.. just none left that are 60ns 1meg x 1 ("8 or 9 chip") ones....

Welp, I just bought a lot of 8 of them off EBAY for $14.00 shipped...

This will be enough for about another month of assembly..

If anyone has any more they would like to donate to the cause, I'll pay shipping..

Once again, I am ONLY interested in SIMMs that meet the following criteria:

30 PINS (not 72)

1 MEGABYTE

8 or 9 CHIPS (not 2 or 3)

60ns access time. (the chips will have a -60 or -6 after the numbers)

If you have SIMMs you're not sure of, attatch me a picture in PM or email and I'll be glad to identify them.

atariage: Metalguy66

email: kjones66@earthlink.net

Thanks to all who have responded or offered to help...

Has anyone ever seen one of these? If so, where?

post-8775-1214626670_thumb.jpg

This is (apparently) a 50ns access time 30 pin SIMM.

The fastest I have ever seen (or can find reference to on the web) is 60ns.

I stumbled across this single SIMM by chance while rummaging through a box of junk in the back of the local electronics parts surplus dealer. Paid $2.00 for it.. I've never seen another one like it.. There is a very small logo on the PCB that appears to be "Z COM"... Z-COM was a division of PNY that made memory modules in the early 90s, but most of the SIMMs were actually branded PNY.. Z-COM may have made specialized applications memory for notebooks, etc..

A search for the number on the chips just brings up a bunch of obsolete parts broker sites who list the ram chips, themselves.. not the SIMM..

Strange, eh? This thing works excellent with the MIO.. If anyone knows of a source of these, I'd sure like to get some more..

If not, I'll be keeping this SIMM for my personal collection.... ;)

Some slightly unhelpful news here -

I just checked through my tin of memories. A grand total of 4 modules which are 9 chip, and of those:

1 is the ancient variety that has pins, not the edge connector. Another is 80ns and another is 70ns.

Of the rest, almost all are the slimline 3-chip variety.