IGNORED

Twin Famicom

Wow. In black (they come in several colors, from what i've read) it looks a lot like something Atari might have put out. The black case with a silver band across the middle, where the cartridge slot is, not to mention the buttons on the front that look like they came off an Atari XEGS console, look like they came straight out of Atari's design department. Too bad Nintendo's left-handed control pads suck, no matter what company puts them out...... It still irks me that the venerable joystick died out in favor of that rectangular little cramp machine.

Wow. In black (they come in several colors, from what i've read) it looks a lot like something Atari might have put out. The black case with a silver band across the middle, where the cartridge slot is, not to mention the buttons on the front that look like they came off an Atari XEGS console, look like they came straight out of Atari's design department. Too bad Nintendo's left-handed control pads suck, no matter what company puts them out...... It still irks me that the venerable joystick died out in favor of that rectangular little cramp machine.

Most of the ones I seen were red and black.

There was a magazine article (either Retro Gamer or Games™, I believe) about a shopping trip through some of Japan's best retro gaming stores. One location had heaps of Sharp Famicom Twins, in red, black, and I believe, yellow.

The design of that unit sure looks like what Atari would have done with the Famicom had they got the deal to manufacture and distribute it in the U.S. -- though it lacks the brushed aluminum strip and rainbow band.

Not sure if they would have included the disk drive, but that's all speculation at this point.

Wow... it DOES look almost exactly like an Atari product.

ive never heard of this, and yea the buttons look atari esq... is it just nes graphics with floppy games? Was that very popular at all? how hard is it to find games?

It's a FamiCom(which, of course, is essentially just a japanese NES) with a built-in FDS expansion.

The FDS was midly popular, mainly because games were CHEAP.

Nintendo quit making them fairly fast, due to rampant piracy.

Sadly for modern gamers, the FDS floppy is NOT a standard 3.5" disk.

Edited by JB

Wow... it DOES look almost exactly like an Atari product.
ive never heard of this, and yea the buttons look atari esq... is it just nes graphics with floppy games? Was that very popular at all? how hard is it to find games?

It's a FamiCom(which, of course, is essentially just a japanese NES) with a built-in FDS expansion.

The FDS was midly popular, mainly because games were CHEAP.

Nintendo quit making them fairly fast, due to rampant piracy.

Sadly for modern gamers, the FDS floppy is NOT a standard 3.5" disk.

thats really cool. 2 questions for you, are the games expensive and hard to find? And were the graphics the same as any other nes/famicon game?

OMG that's a beautiful machine! If it took standard diskettes, I would be very, very tempted indeed. Fortunately, it doesn't, and I've got emulators and cartridges anyway.

That was a close call...

emulators... evil i say! (please though, lets not debate on which is better again... ugh)

Edited by AtariJr

The graphics were the same. The disk drive didn't add any new abilities to the Famicom, other than cheaper media that you could take to a store kiosk and download another game on to for a small price.

Adds some sound hardware and RAM, actually.

Nothing truly amazing, but...

Nice Hunt The Wumpus avatar, BTW.

• 1 month later...

That's a fair price for a tested and working Twin Famicom. You can find one cheaper or one that's already in the US but chances are it doesn't work. They've come down in price from a few years ago because there are more Japanese sellers on Ebay. They used to go for $200-$250 but now they are more like $75-$150. $100 is as cheap as you'll find one for in a traditional game store in Japan. You might find one for less at a flea market, recycle shop or Hard Off's junk section but most likely it won't work. Lots of games are only available on the Disk System so it's worth getting if you're in to obscure games or if you want Mario to teach you how to knit a sweater.

y-bot