IGNORED

Bad Trader Alert

FND

I've regrettably hit that BIN button on eBay and always end-up paying. When you hit that button, you've entered into an agreement to buy it on the terms listed. If you want to change those terms, both parties must mutually agree. The seller has no obligation to agree or even respond other than ship you the item you've paid for. I agree that it's "good customer service" for the seller to work out an arrangement, but a lot of sellers on eBay are just peeps like you and me selling stuff -- it's not like buying stuff from Amazon -- and they don't have the time or care to work these things out. I would definitely not leave negative feedback and or go around talking smack about the seller. Maybe chalk it up to experience and a lesson learned?

• Like 3

KylJoy I'd have to side with the seller on this as well.

HOWEVER, if you paid for the item and promptly and politely asked the seller to please cancel the transaction, then the seller should have done so and refunded your money. The seller wasn't in the wrong, but it's just standard business practice. Some sellers keep a "restocking fee" to prevent this, but the seller did nothing wrong and certainly does not deserve negative feedback.

As to the fact that sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers, that was a change that eBay implemented a few years ago. I'm sure icemanxp will have something to say about it ;) I will agree it (obviously) works in the buyer's favor now, and some asshole buyers will exploit that. I think what would have been wiser is for eBay to separate "seller feedback" from "buyer feedback." Bad buyers and non-paying bidders deserve negative feedback just as much as dishonest or bad sellers.

HOWEVER, if you paid for the item and promptly and politely asked the seller to please cancel the transaction, then the seller should have done so and refunded your money.

He said he bought the item and requested to cancel before he paid. The seller ignored his request. Days later he purchased another item and the way ebay works is it likes to just jumble everything all in one shot. So as he purchased this 2nd item (that he actually wanted to commit to buying) it prompted him to pay for it but also it prompted him to pay for every other item that needed paid for which in this instance included the first item he never paid for and wanted cancelled.

Now it appears the seller got his money and shipped the item. That is where KyLJoy is at now. If this was a BIN there really is no problem cancelling and relisting. I can see getting more annoyed if it was a live auction that the seller had going and now has to wait and go through another week in which he could make less on.

No, I followed but buyer has no leverage until he pays for the item he purchased (or more accurately, is obligated to purchase either through auction or BIN). Even if he used BIN, he should still pay and then request a refund/return immediately. I guess I was trying to state that it's bad form to BIN and then say "oopsie, don't want", on top of that be upset that you still have to pay and on top of that be upset that you "accidentally" paid because you weren't paying attention.

Edited by glazball

I did not say that I am upset about the Ebay transaction. I did say that the experience was "weird" and "surreal". Iceman summed up the situation well. There are more details in my original post above. In the end, the item is worth what I paid and I will keep it in my collection as stated above.

It is true that the situation was pretty annoying. The seller was rude and definitely showed a lack of desire or inability to work things out for the mutual benefit of all involved (both of us) and I'm pretty sure that no one would appreciate being treated that way. However, I did not give them a negative feedback on Ebay. I also did not ask Ebay or PayPal to refund my money which would have cost this person the shipping to me and back. I instead chose to post the situation here on AA and ask the AA community if they believe this person should be reported as a bad trader here related to THEIR behavior. That was my question. I already knew that I had made mistakes. In full disclosure related to the situation, I posted the mistakes here and that is how people here know that they happened. The question was about the behavior of the SELLER in the situation where my mistakes had taken place.

So far, the general consensus seems to be that even though this seller was rude, uncooperative, and wouldn't help a brother out that I should not warn the community about them (or, as seen by some, punish the seller) by posting their name here. I have not done so. Hopefully they will never need to be mentioned here by anyone else.

FYI, I have allowed people to cancel orders on Ebay; auction and BIN. It takes about 5 seconds. The ease of doing so contrasted with the seller so adamantly refusing to do so after repeated requests is one of the reasons I thought that this might warrant a report here. But, not really knowing what warrants getting listed here, I wanted to ask first.

Have a good one.

I've regrettably hit that BIN button on eBay and always end-up paying. When you hit that button, you've entered into an agreement to buy it on the terms listed. If you want to change those terms, both parties must mutually agree. The seller has no obligation to agree or even respond other than ship you the item you've paid for. I agree that it's "good customer service" for the seller to work out an arrangement, but a lot of sellers on eBay are just peeps like you and me selling stuff -- it's not like buying stuff from Amazon -- and they don't have the time or care to work these things out. I would definitely not leave negative feedback and or go around talking smack about the seller. Maybe chalk it up to experience and a lesson learned?

Not saying this is necessarily the case, but what if the seller markets themself as a store?

Wow... what a mess. If I was the seller, I would have agreed to cancel request, there are bad buyer who would open false SNAD claim if they can't get the listing canceled, not worth the hassle.

And as a buyer, I'll eat it if I buy it by mistake. I can always resell if I don't want it.

• Like 1

KylJoy - I know you are a good guy and weren't trying to pull a fast one. If I were the seller, and especially if I knew you through AA, I would have handled it differently. But as it is, you were obligated to pay for the item and suck it up if you didn't want it. It's just unfortunate that the seller had to respond so rudely. I've always thought the people here at AA are truly the best folks, but eBay... well, it's a jungle. You did the right thing by keeping the item and dropping the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm not listing user IDs while my dispute is pending, but I've got an odd one going on Ebay right now.

I won an auction for an Atari game with $2.67 first class shipping as the only shipping option. Paid in the morning & didn't think twice about it until that afternoon. I got a message from the seller telling me it was impossible to ship the game for the amount I paid unless it was put into an envelope that would crush the box, and wanted to know if that was fine.

Now, the last Atari game I sent did, in fact, ship for $2.67- but I know first class rules are kinda strict & mailing policies like to change every so often. So I replied that I didn't think it was impossible- but how much more did he need to use a box (obviously I didn't want it crushed in an envelope.) The next 5 or messages I got were all arguing about how very impossible it was to send an Atari game for that amount. Eventually, I got him to drop that & asked for an invoice for whatever amount he wanted to ship in a box. I was told to 'name a fair price'. I said I didn't have the box, couldn't determine its excact weight or dimensions, and therefore didn't know what a fair shipping price was- just send me an invoice. I was told it obviously weighs less than a pound. after a couple more go-arounds effectively repeating the above, I quit answering.

So, as it stands: I won & paid for a game. The seller says I underpaid for shipping (despite it being the only amount I could pay), but won't say how much he needs, let alone send an invoice for me to actually pay it. I am very uncomfortable with this whole situation, so I opened a dispute via paypal (ebay said they can't help until the shipping window closes). I also put the guy on my blocked list since I have a few items for sale, just in case of retaliatory buying.

Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? I've had issues with shipments before, but never anyone effectively forcing me to haggle on the price of an item I already paid for.

• Like 2

That guy is full is Sh*t. I just put two Atari 2600 games in a 6x4x2 box and the weight is under 8oz. 8oz shipping is $2.77 via ebay or paypal. Then add in the price of the box. Total cost for him would be max $3. Either way his fault. He sold it for a price shipped and that is what he gets. I sold a turbo grafx last year for $15 shipping. I got hit with a CA buyer and it cost me like $25. I messed up I ate the cost.

• Like 2

You can get a boxed Atari game with all manuals, catalogs, etc. into a small box within 1st Class weight restrictions. I have shipped hundreds in that manner via eBay. Especially on eBay because sellers get to use 1st Class for up to 16 ounces, rather than the standard 13 ounce restriction at the post office.

So I'm not listing user IDs while my dispute is pending, but I've got an odd one going on Ebay right now.

I won an auction for an Atari game with $2.67 first class shipping as the only shipping option. Paid in the morning & didn't think twice about it until that afternoon. I got a message from the seller telling me it was impossible to ship the game for the amount I paid unless it was put into an envelope that would crush the box, and wanted to know if that was fine.

Now, the last Atari game I sent did, in fact, ship for $2.67- but I know first class rules are kinda strict & mailing policies like to change every so often. So I replied that I didn't think it was impossible- but how much more did he need to use a box (obviously I didn't want it crushed in an envelope.) The next 5 or messages I got were all arguing about how very impossible it was to send an Atari game for that amount. Eventually, I got him to drop that & asked for an invoice for whatever amount he wanted to ship in a box. I was told to 'name a fair price'. I said I didn't have the box, couldn't determine its excact weight or dimensions, and therefore didn't know what a fair shipping price was- just send me an invoice. I was told it obviously weighs less than a pound. after a couple more go-arounds effectively repeating the above, I quit answering.

So, as it stands: I won & paid for a game. The seller says I underpaid for shipping (despite it being the only amount I could pay), but won't say how much he needs, let alone send an invoice for me to actually pay it. I am very uncomfortable with this whole situation, so I opened a dispute via paypal (ebay said they can't help until the shipping window closes). I also put the guy on my blocked list since I have a few items for sale, just in case of retaliatory buying.

Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? I've had issues with shipments before, but never anyone effectively forcing me to haggle on the price of an item I already paid for.

I had a similar experience with another seller and the big issue on his side was claiming on not knowing how to change the pricing for shipping. Not saying this would be similar case but often sellers don't pre weigh items they are selling and let ebay pick what seems right.

I agree with icemanxp300 though sometimes depending on where its going you just have to eat the difference and make up for it selling something else.

Let me know how this one turns out though just curious for an odd sense of dejavu (perhaps the same seller I was dealing with as well.)

I've had a problem with ebay before, but it's exceedingly rare, while I've been selling on there. The system will hose up and list a shipping value if you do not use a flat rate(which is why I only use them now except in stuff over a pound to calculate the box size vs weight.)

What happened would be I'd sell an item and the system would come back and charge someone let's say $4.35 shipping to them. Then when I'm printing up the shipping, even with the internal discount, the USPS/PP/Ebay calculator will show me that the shipping is actually like $9.71 instead (a $5.36 loss.)

What option does that leave me though? 1. I can see if another method, even if it's with Fedex will mitigate the loss or remove most of it. 2. Call and bitch out ebay and demand a refund (I've done this and they play dumb like it doesn't happen.) 3. Contact the buyer and see if they'd listen to reason or not since they've already paid or are maybe requesting an invoice as some like to squat before paying for whatever reason.

I've not tried to contact the person except once when they had no paid yet to try and revise it and it was luckily fine. If they already paid, I've tried to change the shipping method so it's not slower to cut the loss, and if that failed, I call ebay and blast them over it and get a refund.

I know it sucks for the seller, but if a person wins an auction fair and square and has already paid for the product, that's it, case closed. The buyer should get what they paid for without any additional time consuming hassles that only make the seller look bad and will probably affect his feedback in a negative manner.

How would you feel if you bought something from Amazon dot Com and they called you to extort you for more money before they shipped? Sure, eBay has lots of 'little guys' selling stuff, but any hassles should remain between the seller and eBay. That's just my two bits worth.

• Like 1

I have a bit of a dilemma and I am looking for opinions on my next course of action.

WARNING!! WARNING!!

Potentially boring story follows...

---------------------------------------

I really try to not be much of a complainer. But I had a weird experience on Ebay. I bought an item but then decided to ask the seller to cancel the transaction and offered to pay any fees associated, etc.

[..]

My question is, in your opinion, should I report this person in this forum as a "bad trader" for the way they treated a customer? I don't like giving people negative feedback on Ebay as they will just do the same in retaliation and I have a 100% clean feedback with never having received a single negative feedback in all of my time on Ebay. It was a pretty surreal experience and I do not understand why they would treat a customer in the manner that they did and I would like others to have the chance to avoid that situation.

One more thing... This person is on AA and has been reported as reputable. I have attempted to contact them through the AA messaging system but they have ignored my communications. Perhaps they are just not active on AA right now.

Thank you in advance for your input.

The seller did nothing wrong. Don't be butthurting on the seller because you made a bad decision to buy something you didn't want.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I was a buyer wanting to cancel a transaction. The seller would not communicate or work with me. That is the point of my post. I believe you are saying that the seller not responding to me or working with me was not a problem in any way since the seller has the prerogative to do those things. I agree that it is the seller's prerogative to act in those ways if they so choose but my reaction to that behavior (and I a believe the reaction of most) is generally negative as it shows a lack of mutual respect and poor customer service and I believe it is the wrong way to treat people. Unfortunately, after being treated in that way I will definitely not be purchasing from them again. They were rude and uncooperative. I do not treat people that way. Customer lost.

I am unsure what you mean by, "If you wanted to ask that should of been prior to your purchase." If I wanted to ask what, please?

Do others have an opinion?

Yes. I continue to side with the seller.

It's like running a red light, getting caught, and asking the cop if we could do it again. But this time stopping at the red light.

I agree with that. But what about the seller's lack of communication and unwillingness to work with me? Not worthy of naming them here? That behavior is OK and expected from a seller on Ebay? Or it is bad but doesn't really warrant a mention here? That is what I am asking about.

Thanks!

There's nothing to work with here. There isn't a problem. There isn't anything that needs communicating about.

[..]

That's all I need to read. It is the seller's responsibility to get the product to you for the price you paid. If they cannot calculate or use common sense, that is their problem.

I made mistakes like that on the first couple of items I sold in the 1990's. Just sucked it up. I made a whopping $0.02 on an HP Scanjet 6200!

That guy is full is Sh*t. I just put two Atari 2600 games in a 6x4x2 box and the weight is under 8oz. 8oz shipping is $2.77 via ebay or paypal. Then add in the price of the box. Total cost for him would be max $3. Either way his fault. He sold it for a price shipped and that is what he gets. I sold a turbo grafx last year for $15 shipping. I got hit with a CA buyer and it cost me like $25. I messed up I ate the cost.

yea I was just about to say I just sent out a ISA video card in a 6x6x1 box and it was like 6 or 7 ounces, first class parcel was like 2.60 something, and it made it half way cross the country in 3 days.... And yes I have had situations where I got bit on postage, but at that point the deal is done, take the loss and remember for the next time

Yeah 4 oz and under is $2.61. I could and would ship a 2600 game wrapped in bubble wrap inside a bubble mailers for 4oz. I really dislike bubble mailers in general but sending a low value cart only game wrapped in bubble wrap is sufficient. I always figure min. $3 to ship. Even at 4oz you pay $2.61 plus for me I pay $.16 for a bubble mailer as I buy in bulk. Then you figure in a little extra maybe $.10 or so for paper, tape, ink, then you also have to figure ebay and paypal fees. So technically it cost more like $3.25.

People don't think much about fees on shipping but they do add up. I always figure a few bucks extra in when I do shipping. I adjust and add a handling fee which for me covers fees and has nothing to do w/handling. If shipping is $15 I'm charging like $2 handling fee. Some people might get mad over that so I generally try to avoid calculated like that and opt for flat rate most of the time and make it a flat bin w/free shipping.

I know what I want to profit from an item and I charge what is needed to cover all fees including shipping so in the end I get what I desire, or it doesn't sell.

Update on my situation:

Filed my dispute via paypal over Ebay, since Ebay had a longer window to wait for the dispute. It is currently escalated to claim & will be decided in a few days if the seller doesn't respond.

Over the last 2 days, I have received 3 messages via Ebay:

1- 'I'm sorry, I mailed your games to the wrong address, they just came back, I'll mail them tomorrow.'

Really now? I thought I didn't pay enough for mailing! I'm inclined to think the pural 'games' means this was meant for a different buyer. Or it's a stock line sent to anyone Ebay reminds him he hasn't shipped to. It's BS either way.

2- 'I need your full mailing address to ship'.

Right. 12 years using the same linked & confirmed Ebay/paypal account with no issues, but somehow you're the guy who doesn't get my address from either one? More BS.

3-'You underpaid shipping by 5 dollars. If you know a way to ship for 2.67, tell me how. I'm not in the business of paying people for my items.'

Oh good, a number this time! You know what I don't have, though? A DAMN INVOICE FOR SHIPPING!

I have not replied to any of these messages. I asked repeatedly for an invoice, unless I get one I'm just waiting out my claim. I can't decide if this is the most convoluted tantrum I've seen over a low auction total, or the most incredible display of incompetence from any Ebay seller I've ever dealt with.

Yeah 4 oz and under is $2.61. I could and would ship a 2600 game wrapped in bubble wrap inside a bubble mailers for 4oz. I really dislike bubble mailers in general but sending a low value cart only game wrapped in bubble wrap is sufficient. I always figure min. $3 to ship. Even at 4oz you pay $2.61 plus for me I pay $.16 for a bubble mailer as I buy in bulk. Then you figure in a little extra maybe $.10 or so for paper, tape, ink, then you also have to figure ebay and paypal fees. So technically it cost more like $3.25.

I assume you are talking about a loose cart here, not a boxed one as the original poster is talking about. Loose carts from Atari are pretty tough and I wouldn't worry about shipping one in a bubble mailer. I would never ship a boxed game wrapped in bubble wrap inside a bubble mailer.

..Al

Update on my situation:

I'm curious, how much did you pay for the game?

Really, the seller needs to just eat the additional shipping cost here. It's his fault that he didn't setup shipping properly in the auction. I've made mistakes where I ended up having to pay more for shipping than I charged in the auction, and I've never complained about it to the seller or asked the seller to pay more. I always just ship the item out promptly and try not to make the same mistake again in the future.

..Al