IGNORED

Bad Trader Alert

FND

eBay user silver-2000

UPDATE: He acknowledged the mistake but said I should have known better because the listing said "Very Good" and it's 36-year-old software. Umm, no. That said, he agreed to a full refund with a return shipping label, so he made it right.

Oh, the listing said 'very good'? Well, let's check eBay's breakdown for condition and see if a beat-up box fits the definition:

--------------------

Very Good: An item that is used but still in very good condition. No damage to the jewel case or item cover, no scuffs, scratches cracks, or holes. The cover art and liner notes are included. The VHS or DVD box is included. The video game instructions and box are included. The teeth of disk holder are undamaged. Minimal wear on the exterior of item. No skipping on CD/DVD. No fuzzy/snowy frames on VHS tape. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

-------------------

Methinks someone needs to check his info before laying it on the buyer's feet. ;)

• Like 1

^^^ This right here is why I HATE even trying to sell a cart only game on ebay. I could have a super MINT cart only game but if I list it as very good, even if I put in condition area it is "game only". I am still going against eBay's pre-set conditions which I would lose a return claim if the buyer wanted to open one.

Ebay needs a better set of conditions. Not everything sold has a box or manual, that doesn't mean what is being sold is in poor condition though.

This had nothing to do w/the item purchased in question, just a rant that was triggered lol.

• Like 2

ebay user coachandson_co

This guy was selling an Amiga CD32 on OfferUp for $250. I sent the standard OfferUp message and he said he was talking to someone else about it and would let me know in a couple hours.

Started looking at accessories on ebay (offer up listing did not come with a controller) and sure as hell there's the same console, ending in 2 hours, and currently sitting at $204 w/ free shipping.

I confronted him and he admitted he was giving offerup a "first dibs" regardless of sale price on ebay and wasn't trying to be shady. I told him I wasn't interested, especially since after further questions it seems all he knows is that it powers on.

I don't know, maybe I'm passing on a good deal, but I would hate to be the other guy on ebay who won the auction to have the rug pulled out from under them. 2cebcf5aa48f810ca7d55e1fd28b3091.jpg17d9f387d63882bb679a35d8281dc87d.jpge436af3119e63f857593ae247654cb85.jpg75a46e5c4c97e72998e82a422e7da6e4.jpgdcca90b850c68d8b063d2b722bb95de7.jpg2d87a806c2221e7c222f66eff816d496.jpg

Edited by robbievgb

ebay user coachandson_co

This guy was selling an Amiga CD32 on OfferUp for $250. I sent the standard OfferUp message and he said he was talking to someone else about it and would let me know in a couple hours.

Started looking at accessories on ebay (offer up listing did not come with a controller) and sure as hell there's the same console, ending in 2 hours, and currently sitting at $204 w/ free shipping.

I confronted him and he admitted he was giving offerup a "first dibs" regardless of sale price on ebay and wasn't trying to be shady. I told him I wasn't interested, especially since after further questions it seems all he knows is that it powers on.

I don't know, maybe I'm passing on a good deal, but I would hate to be the other guy on ebay who won the auction to have the rug pulled out from under them. 2cebcf5aa48f810ca7d55e1fd28b3091.jpg17d9f387d63882bb679a35d8281dc87d.jpge436af3119e63f857593ae247654cb85.jpg75a46e5c4c97e72998e82a422e7da6e4.jpgdcca90b850c68d8b063d2b722bb95de7.jpg2d87a806c2221e7c222f66eff816d496.jpg

According to the provided Offer Up convo screenshot, he was giving eBay first dibs. That seems like the right thing to do. Am I wrong?

According to the provided Offer Up convo screenshot, he was giving eBay first dibs. That seems like the right thing to do. Am I wrong?

Yes my bad, I misquoted him. On OfferUp he told me he'd get back to me later (after auction ended) when there were already bids placed on the item, so either way he's being dishonest in some sense. Of course when I called him out on it he said he was giving eBay first dibs. I'm not convinced that that's what was really going on.

So maybe he was using OfferUp as a backup for a non-paying bidder? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes my bad, I misquoted him. On OfferUp he told me he'd get back to me later (after auction ended) when there were already bids placed on the item, so either way he's being dishonest in some sense. Of course when I called him out on it he said he was giving eBay first dibs. I'm not convinced that that's what was really going on.

So maybe he was using OfferUp as a backup for a non-paying bidder? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Ok, got it. Yeah, I agree there's definitely some shady business going down here! I didn't realize there were already bids on the auction (and I'm guessing no reserve). There are definitely some dishonest people out there!

• Like 1

Yes you are. He already had a deal working he was "chatting" with someone else over. He only changed his tune when called out over the ebay listing. It's obvious he has full intentions of selling to whomever pays the most whether ebay or elsewhere.

• Like 1

Yes you are. He already had a deal working he was "chatting" with someone else over. he only changed his tune when called out over the ebay listing. Plus he says it works when he couldn't even test it. Nothing he says can be trusted. It's obvious he has full intentions of selling a non-tested system as working and to whomever pays the most whether ebay or elsewhere.

Yeah I didn't realize he said it was tested when it wasn't. I also originally thought he simply had listings on eBay and Offer Up concurrently, which are fine, if there are no eBay bids or it's a buy it now, etc.

• Like 1

Yeah I edited my comment as he wrote "Appears to be in working condition". I thought someone had said he listed it as working but I'm not really seeing that. Still he has a live auction with it for sale elsewhere. I do sales elsewhere to but my items are always BIN, not live auctions. Whomever comes first gets them. Once an item has bids that's an entirely different scenario and should not be for sale on other venues.

• Like 1

Yeah I edited my comment as he wrote "Appears to be in working condition". I thought someone had said he listed it as working but I'm not really seeing that. Still he has a live auction with it for sale elsewhere. I do sales elsewhere to but my items are always BIN, not live auctions. Whomever comes first gets them. Once an item has bids that's an entirely different scenario and should not be for sale on other venues.

Yeah I've done the exact same thing. Nothing wrong with first come first serve as long as no one has bid on the item yet.

I was tempted to bid on the auction itself, but who knows if he was talking with someone else on OfferUp. I'm curious to see if he takes it off now that the ebay auction ended.

Kind of bummed it all went bogus, but with the price of a controller and games, and the questionable status of working or not, maybe I'm better off :).

Yeah I've done the exact same thing. Nothing wrong with first come first serve as long as no one has bid on the item yet.

I was tempted to bid on the auction itself, but who knows if he was talking with someone else on OfferUp. I'm curious to see if he takes it off now that the ebay auction ended.

Kind of bummed it all went bogus, but with the price of a controller and games, and the questionable status of working or not, maybe I'm better off :).

So get this...the EXACT same thing that happened to you with this shady seller just happened to me!!! The backstory is a little different, though...so a week or so ago I messaged a guy on letgo about a CIB Sega Genesis Model 1. $60, I figured, why not. After exchanging some pleasantries, he says that another guy offered him $80. I said oh well, that's more than I'm willing to spend. He comes back to me today, saying that the sale fell through. Knowing what I know now, he was completely lying about there being another guy, and was just trying to get me to pay $80 instead of his $60 asking price...

So as we're nailing down details of where and when to meet up, I bring up eBay just to see what comparable consoles have been going for...and I find the EXACT same console listing (with pics and all) for sale on eBay. It has a single bid thus far (at $59.99) and has 21 hours to go. I called him out on it and he has yet to reply, but he still might, as that was only 6 minutes ago. UNREAL!

What the hell is wrong with people?!

eBay ID: luciapumpkin

• Like 3

The guy is an idiot.

"Sega genesis console in box. Condition is New other (see details). Shipped with USPS Parcel Select Ground.

Game comes with PGA Golf

** No Sonic ** Mfg Pkg Mistake "

Whatever. yeah the factory just accidentally had a PGA Golf which is a completely different size box and game and it just got mixed in w/all the sonics. Dumbass.

This is not NEW, and hell not even complete.

He's too lazy to even get a sonic to go with it.

• Like 2

So get this...the EXACT same thing that happened to you with this shady seller just happened to me!!! The backstory is a little different, though...so a week or so ago I messaged a guy on letgo about a CIB Sega Genesis Model 1. $60, I figured, why not. After exchanging some pleasantries, he says that another guy offered him $80. I said oh well, that's more than I'm willing to spend. He comes back to me today, saying that the sale fell through. Knowing what I know now, he was completely lying about there being another guy, and was just trying to get me to pay $80 instead of his $60 asking price...

So as we're nailing down details of where and when to meet up, I bring up eBay just to see what comparable consoles have been going for...and I find the EXACT same console listing (with pics and all) for sale on eBay. It has a single bid thus far (at $59.99) and has 21 hours to go. I called him out on it and he has yet to reply, but he still might, as that was only 6 minutes ago. UNREAL!

What the hell is wrong with people?!

eBay ID: luciapumpkin

I'm probably going to start doing a precursor ebay check like this for more local transactions now. Unbelieveable.

• Like 1

Me personally, If I have something on eBay, then it's the only place I will have it listed. I never try to sell it elsewhere, not even in my family's physical store, if I have it listed on eBay. Now, I usually eBay items I know will be a hard sell at the store, so stuff like Xbox 360 games usually don't get listed, as they sell fairly well in the store.

Of course, true retro stuff rarely makes it onto the shelf, or ebay for that matter, as I usually buy the retro stuff that comes in for my personal collection! :grin: (although I do eBay the dupes from my collection)

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with a dual listing or more places, it's just how you handle it. If someone bids, pull the ad. Don't lie to gin up another few dollars either. This stuff though is sketchy on both of them.

Definitely not always sketchy. I've listed stuff locally and on eBay at the same time before. I see no problem with cancelling the auction if you sell locally. But once an eBay auction has completed, the CL ad comes down. You just have to honor whoever comes first chronologically for the stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

ebay user coachandson_co

I don't know, maybe I'm passing on a good deal, but I would hate to be the other guy on ebay who won the auction to have the rug pulled out from under them.

Crazy... I remember a few years ago... some guy in China or somewhere bought out a storage unit with 100s of these brand new in the box. I bought one... never opened, for $35 shipped. I sold it 6 months later for $50 cause I was like... what am I going to do with this???

Crazy... I remember a few years ago... some guy in China or somewhere bought out a storage unit with 100s of these brand new in the box. I bought one... never opened, for $35 shipped. I sold it 6 months later for $50 cause I was like... what am I going to do with this???

I got two of those. A damn steal at that price. One is still in use, though it suffers from the dreaded CD-ROM funkery, and the other is stored away forever until it is worth more than its weight in gold (yeah, right :) )

IIRC, the story was the stash got caught up in the patent lawsuit import ban and ultimate demise of Commodore, and forgotten in a warehouse until almost a decade later.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this qualifies but I'm selling some items on eBay and a buyer "wrinklywinky" started sending me lowball offers and got a bit nasty after I politely declined his offer. I already strive to sell my stuff on the lowend of eBay sales, usually adjusting prices a buck or two lower than everyone else but I don't add "Best Offers" but this person was particularly nasty so just be wary of this guy.

• 4 weeks later...

So I had been going back and forth as to whether to include this story in this thread, but I ultimately figured it could qualify. Ironically, it involves the guy who created this thread!

It all started on 8/14/18 when I shot a note through AtariAge to FND asking if he was the same person as eBay seller f-n-d, as I was interested in purchasing the Atari 8-bit cassette game Caverns of Khafka and if he was, indeed, the same as the eBay seller, perhaps he would be interested in doing the transaction through the AtariAge forums to sidestep eBay seller fees, etc. He responded that yep, that was him, and that he would be willing to listen to offers. I responded that I noticed there was a "Best Offer" option on there, but that I thought maybe he'd prefer to deal through AtariAge. I proceeded to explain how I was only really after the manual, but that I get he probably wanted to keep it as a complete set, and asked if $20 shipped would get the job done. No response.

Five days later, I made an offer through eBay of $20 plus the standard listed shipping cost, and I was shocked when I got an instantaneous automated message from eBay stating that this seller was not accepting offers from me at this time. I had never seen that before, so it was unclear to me if he had blocked me or if he had temporarily turned off offers, or something else entirely. I shot him another message through AA to see if he could provide some clarification. No response. Ten days after that - now we're at 8/29/18 - I sent my final note through AA to him, just following up to see if he knew anything about the weird error message I got through eBay.

By this point, I knew that he had blocked me on eBay. Never in my 20 years of eBaying had someone blocked me (at least to my knowledge). I have 100% feedback and have never had any such issues with buyers or sellers.

Fast forward to this past weekend, as I was still in need of that Caverns of Khafka manual, so I tried purchasing it (he no longer had "Best Offer" as an option) just on the off-chance he had a change of heart about me. Nope, still blocked. Why? No clue. So I used my fiancee's eBay account and bought it from him that way. He had lowered the asking price by this point, too, so all worked out in the end and I'm a very happy camper! :grin:

I guess just be careful dealing with him, through AA or eBay, as he apparently gets offended very easily? Not even sure what I could have done to set him off, but so be it. I'd love to see him respond to this to get some clarity on the situation, too...

P.S. Now I've got a cassette + box Caverns of Khafka available if anyone wants to buy it for a low price.

So I had been going back and forth as to whether to include this story in this thread, but I ultimately figured it could qualify. Ironically, it involves the guy who created this thread!

It all started on 8/14/18 when I shot a note through AtariAge to FND asking if he was the same person as eBay seller f-n-d, as I was interested in purchasing the Atari 8-bit cassette game Caverns of Khafka and if he was, indeed, the same as the eBay seller, perhaps he would be interested in doing the transaction through the AtariAge forums to sidestep eBay seller fees, etc. He responded that yep, that was him, and that he would be willing to listen to offers. I responded that I noticed there was a "Best Offer" option on there, but that I thought maybe he'd prefer to deal through AtariAge. I proceeded to explain how I was only really after the manual, but that I get he probably wanted to keep it as a complete set, and asked if $20 shipped would get the job done. No response.

Five days later, I made an offer through eBay of $20 plus the standard listed shipping cost, and I was shocked when I got an instantaneous automated message from eBay stating that this seller was not accepting offers from me at this time. I had never seen that before, so it was unclear to me if he had blocked me or if he had temporarily turned off offers, or something else entirely. I shot him another message through AA to see if he could provide some clarification. No response. Ten days after that - now we're at 8/29/18 - I sent my final note through AA to him, just following up to see if he knew anything about the weird error message I got through eBay.

By this point, I knew that he had blocked me on eBay. Never in my 20 years of eBaying had someone blocked me (at least to my knowledge). I have 100% feedback and have never had any such issues with buyers or sellers.

Fast forward to this past weekend, as I was still in need of that Caverns of Khafka manual, so I tried purchasing it (he no longer had "Best Offer" as an option) just on the off-chance he had a change of heart about me. Nope, still blocked. Why? No clue. So I used my fiancee's eBay account and bought it from him that way. He had lowered the asking price by this point, too, so all worked out in the end and I'm a very happy camper! :grin:

I guess just be careful dealing with him, through AA or eBay, as he apparently gets offended very easily? Not even sure what I could have done to set him off, but so be it. I'd love to see him respond to this to get some clarity on the situation, too...

P.S. Now I've got a cassette + box Caverns of Khafka available if anyone wants to buy it for a low price.

Actually I banned you because You were saying the Eastern Front 800 game I was selling was a reproduction label

and wanted to make sure you would not purchase it by mistake

Actually I banned you because You were saying the Eastern Front 800 game I was selling was a reproduction label

and wanted to make sure you would not purchase it by mistake

Ha! Seriously? Why would I purchase a game I was giving you honest (albeit incorrect, as it turned out) advice on? I thought that was a perfectly fine conversation.

Ha! Seriously? Why would I purchase a game I was giving you honest (albeit incorrect, as it turned out) advice on? I thought that was a perfectly fine conversation.

Well combine that with the Fact we disused the deal on the Caverns of Khafka here to save fees but

you then made the reduced offer on ebay were I would have to include the fees again so figured it was best

Edited by FND