IGNORED

Bad Trader Alert

FND

1 minute ago, atari181 said:

I actually had a boxed game that I paid $400 for come shipped in a plain brown envelope. Not even a bubble mailer.  I am not sure how but the box still perfect.

You got lucky!

Whenever I buy a boxed game, I make sure to ask the seller in advance if they will ship it in a box.  It's not worth the hassle of taking a chance, and if the seller then ships the game in an envelope anyway, at least you're better covered when it comes time to confront the seller about their inexcusable shipping job.

..Al

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Whenever I buy a boxed game, I make sure to ask the seller in advance if they will ship it in a box.  It's not worth the hassle of taking a chance, and if the seller then ships the game in an envelope anyway, at least you're better covered when it comes time to confront the seller about their inexcusable shipping job.

I do, too. Look what happens yet ... Typical seller response in such cases: "oh, I didn't notice that request." :)

Edited by mumbai

2 minutes ago, mumbai said:

I do wonder whether there's some seller forum or site where this denial tactic originated.

I doubt it, it's pretty easy to figure out that a lighter package will cost the seller less money.  Plus paper envelopes are much cheaper than boxes, so that's another reason to do this. 

2 minutes ago, mumbai said:

First, I'll admit that I don't leave negative feedback unless a situation is egregious and/or the seller outright lies about something. My thinking is that doing that in each similar interest would make me look like a "problem buyer". I'd like to believe that I'm anything but. Perhaps I should change that personal policy.

This is the sort of thing that allows sellers to continue to get away with poor selling/shipping practices.

..Al

Just now, Albert said:

I doubt it, it's pretty easy to figure out that a lighter package will cost the seller less money.

Oh, I meant the "none of my [imagined] previous customers have ever complained about just this sort of packaging job" script. But, yes, you're 100% correct that the relative weight and cost difference is something easily grasped.

Just now, Albert said:

This is the sort of thing that allows sellers to continue to get away with poor selling/shipping practices.

I know that's the risk. Every time something like this comes up (which is increasingly frequent, I apparently hang with the wrong selling crowd) I have an internal debate over whether to neg. The weak excuse I use to justify not is that people will likely just ignore warnings posted in feedback or those warnings will get lost amongst other, positive feedback for sellers who churn out 100s or more transactions a month.

Just now, mumbai said:

The weak excuse I use to justify not is that people will likely just ignore warnings posted in feedback or those warnings will get lost amongst other, positive feedback for sellers who churn out 100s or more transactions a month.

I very often will look at a seller's feedback, and in particular will read the neutral and negative comments.  This can easily show a pattern of poor selling/shipping practices.  I have very rarely looked at a buyer's feedback when they've purchased something from me.  Usually I'm only concerned if it's a new buyer and/or they have zero (or very low) feedback.

..Al

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Albert said:

I very often will look at a seller's feedback, and in particular will read the neutral and negative comments.  This can easily show a pattern of poor selling/shipping practices.

In these cases, I don't really think I have any choice but to leave negative feedback. The seller's already profited off eBay's goodwill toward me with the courtesy refund, likely to be the first of several such rewards for ill behavior.

I'm a reformed man thanks to you.

16 hours ago, Albert said:

One last thing...

The kicker: I left negative feedback last night for one of the purchases. It disappeared from both our feedback profiles inside of an hour.

eBay explained that closure of the return claim triggered removal, even though: (1) eBay stepped in to complete the refund and (2) eBay support had earlier told me to leave negative feedback if appropriate -- in their words, the only downside the seller could face here.

Absurd. I'm done chasing my tail over it all.

Edited by mumbai

Very common I add 5.00 to the cost of my items for this reason
I also enclose each item in SEALED clear plastic baggie to protect in case
water may somehow get inside, than wrap in bubble wrap and place in NEW
shipping box Been a memeber there since DEC 1996 100% feedback which
means nothing anymore

First few lines on most of my items in ebay description page

This Item will be Shipped using
FREE
BOXED USPS 1st Class Mail
5.00+ value, My Cost.

This insures your item will arrive in
in same condition as Viewed

A Single cib Sega Genesis game will weight between 11 and 13 oz boxed up
average is 12 oz and cost 4.37
New Box Cost .35
+ Bubble wrap, Tape, Label, Ink.

EXAMPLE for sega games

I offer free shipping but always get questions asking for lower price because they
see it offered by someone Cheaper Not taking into consideration they will more often
than not get it in a Bubble mailer or other flimsy type packaging, I also take the time to
photo all sides of all included items (front, back & side of box. Front and back of instructions along
with 3 sides of game cart, front, back and end label, front and back of inserts)

Just saying

Edited by FND
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 4:56 PM, mumbai said:

It is my strong recommendation that people avoid purchasing items from eBay seller "coolo23".

[...]

Well, the first return was delivered back to the seller, who promptly refunded me 40% of the original purchase price with the only explanation being "per eBay policy", which, no. No, that's not right.

One last follow-up, then I'll shut up (whew! right?).

Predictably, "coolo23" did the exact same thing with the remaining two returns, without explanation. Partial refunds of 46% and 43%, but that percentage improvement masks the fact that these transactions were for significantly larger amounts than the first time. ?

ETA: eBay again stepped in with courtesy refunds. This will do nothing to curb the seller's behavior in the future, but I guess this all is over. My feedback was again erased by eBay's system, but whatever.

Edited by mumbai
note final resolution
  • Sad 1

I don't understand why a seller thinks it's acceptable to just refund 46% or 43%?  That doesn't make any damn sense to me at all.  And it's ridiculous that eBay won't do anything to "curb the seller's behavior", but after my experiences with eBay, that absolutely does not surprise me at all.  And even more ridiculous that eBay is scouring negative feedback against a seller like this. 

..Al

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

I don't understand why a seller thinks it's acceptable to just refund 46% or 43%?  That doesn't make any damn sense to me at all.  And it's ridiculous that eBay won't do anything to "curb the seller's behavior", but after my experiences with eBay, that absolutely does not surprise me at all.

Here, it isn't acceptable because it wasn't even the arrangement made ahead of time. The two repeated reminders after the first stunt went unanswered. As did the two requests for explanation before the last two returns were even shipped back.

eBay is paying out of pocket on this and opening themselves to further courtesy refunds down the road. I guess someone did a cost-benefit analysis (refund v. future final-value fees) to justify letting sellers like this continue unchecked.

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend steering clear of eBay user brmue-29. We had back and forth "Best Offers" on a CIB Sega console, and I accepted his second offer. He didn't pay for 8 hours and then I got a message from him, "I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm unable to purchase your product. I'm very sorry about the inconvenience."

People these days...

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid eBay user 8bitmicro. The weirdness began when he sent me a message a couple days after I purchased a Vectrex console manual, stating that his "driver took [my] item to the Post Office late this afternoon and was advised by Postal staff that due to Covid-19 they were no longer honouring delivery standards as impacts to delivery caused by the Coronavirus are posing delays to delivery" and that they would return to the post office tomorrow to try to drop off the package again. Odd, right? Regardless, I didn't question it and said no problem, that I look forward to receiving the item. Fast forward a couple days, and I asked for tracking information to be uploaded to eBay. He replied that tracking isn't available with that "service level." I replied that actually it is, as I paid $5.00 for USPS First Class Package service, and that if he actually threw the item into an envelope with some stamps instead, I would appreciate a partial refund on the shipping differential. He replied that I would be refunded in full and he cancelled the order. Clearly the item had never even shipped. Talk about a sketchball!

6 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Avoid eBay user 8bitmicro. The weirdness began when he sent me a message a couple days after I purchased a Vectrex console manual, stating that his "driver took [my] item to the Post Office late this afternoon and was advised by Postal staff that due to Covid-19 they were no longer honouring delivery standards as impacts to delivery caused by the Coronavirus are posing delays to delivery" and that they would return to the post office tomorrow to try to drop off the package again. Odd, right?

What a way to get in front of the ball for the inevitable setup by 8bitmicro, there. Sheesh.

• 1 month later...

On the upside, I'd like to report a positive seller, it's me. Anyone want anything off my list... I really have to sell this stuff!!!  

I ordered a bow release quite recently from some company, I guess in China. I ordered it off Amazon too... it was about 40 bucks. It came BROKEN in the package. When I messaged the guy he said he would refund 80% if I sent it back to him. Then when I said that it was broken and showed him with a picture, he said that I lived in a rich country and could afford it... then never replied. 

I know this isn't forum related but here goes: 

I ordered about 50 books off Amazon recently, most came and the formatting was just atrocious... it was as if a 5 year old had written in it. HUGE spaces between letters just randomly plonked everywhere. Game 'toolkit' book that was nearly 80 bucks was like less than 100 pages with a 5 star rating (it was terrible). Quite a few of the books had glossary sections that were like 80 pages. Don't order books off amazon guys... not unless you know what you're ordering. I must've returned 10 books on UNITY because of the extremely low quality. Thankfully, you can return books on amazon quite easily but jeez, there's no quality control at all!!! 

Edited by CaptainCanadian
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid/block eBay buyer i*myself

I shipped him a game a month ago and he recently came to me saying it never arrived. I checked USPS, the tracking says delivered. I called his local post office to see what’s up (he had it mailed to general delivery) and they said he never showed up for the item. Apparently after awhile the post office sent it to his last known address, which turned out to be a homeless shelter. I called the homeless shelter and they confirmed they had the package and that he was more than welcome to come pick it up. I told the buyer this, and he said he wasn’t going there. I told him I’m not sure what else he wants me to do then. He said either refund him now or have the shelter mail it back to me, and me ship it to a third address he then provided. He also cussed me out. I told him he can go pick it up and as far as I was concerned we were done but if the shelter mails it back to me I would refund him. He filled my inbox with expletive messages and told me I have failed as a seller. The shelter has mailed the game back to me.

He also filed a claim against me and left negative feedback. However, eBay ruled in my favor and removed the feedback. They also ruled that I didn’t have to refund him, but I still will if the game shows up to my doorstep.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, stupus said:

What game was it by the way? Curious to know what games people play that play games like this :)

It was a modern game - Scurge Hive for the Nintendo DS.

Yeah, it was quite a ride. I want to think I did what was reasonable expect of me to help this dude, but he was hostile from the very first message and once he started calling me names I decided I was done.

13 minutes ago, CaptainCanadian said:

I had someone on the forum offer me 35 bucks in an envelope for an Atari 2600. Fair enough but... mailed in an envelope?!? Is this normal for the USA?

Maybe in the 80s, but in 2020, no. I wouldn't accept the offer, especially if they are in the U.S.