IGNORED

Bad Trader Alert

FND

Just received a package today from Fernando Marin. Purchased Haunted House 3D and was not happy with the transaction at all. Item was described in "nice condition". The following is what I PM'd the seller:

Fernando,

I just received my package today and I was a quite upset with the condition. I rarely complain, but the box was severely smashed, and you did not put anything inside for padding...just a box that would easily fit 10 of these carts in it. One cart, all by itself with so much room allowed for the game to get bounced around and banged up.

Additionally, the front label is peeling and the seal on the back (over the screw) was broken, which tells me that the game has been opened. The screw was all the way loose and the board inside is rattling around and out of place.

All in all, this is not a very good start to a purchase which cost me almost $100 USD. I haven't even tried the game out yet, but I figured I would reach out, as this is obviously not as described in your listing:

Haunted House 3d Atari 5200 Rare

Loose,
nice condition
75 us$ + shipping

I am honestly at a loss for words. I really would never have guessed that you would ship a "rare" item in a box with no padding, and I can't figure out for the life of me why you would feel the need to open the game, other than to dump the ROM. Please reply with your reasoning, or I will move this to the public feedback threads.

-Ben

Here is the response I got:

it had detailed photos,

bought it that way, works fine

if you're not happy with it return it ,i'll refund you

i can sell it again in minutes

All of the above is completely unacceptable to me, as the listing description was misleading, and the packaging was horrible. It's nice to offer a refund, but I already paid $20 shipping from Argentina...I have no desire to send it back for another $20, just to have him sell it to one of you unsuspecting AA members. Across the board, I suggest you avoid this seller...he has no concern for you, the condition of rare games or this hobby in general...he's just concerned with what's in your wallet.

I almost bought a 5200 multicart from him. Someone beat me to it but he didn't even hold the item-whoever has the cash first he takes. Talk about holding promises.

• Like 1

Do bad sellers get banned? I know that Al takes banning very seriously and wouldn't do it overnight, but it seems to me that established bona-fide scammers or incompatent/neglagent sellers ought to be shown the door.

Oh well...at least we have a system in place here at AA for warning each other of these kinds of people. The truth is, I wouldn't have even been upset about my purchase if he had shown even the least bit of concern or remorse for his poor description of the game I purchased. IMHO, the bigger concern is the part about him buying homebrews...(potentially) dumping the ROM and then re-selling it to an unsuspecting customer. You see, I only lost $100 bucks..but if he is actually illegally reproducing these games, then the homebrewers are potentially loosing so much more. Even if he is not illegally reproducing these games, he is still hurting the scene. Case and point:

http://www.atariage....http://www.atariage....23932 (selling it almost immediately after the game became available)

http://www.atariage....et#entry2626467 (again, selling it almost immediately after the game became available)

http://www.atariage....at#entry2624328

http://www.atariage....ge__hl__+combat

http://www.atariage....do#entry2628749

All of the above are homebrews...all marked up heavily...some of which are still just being distributed for the first time. If he is buying a game, dumping the rom onto a multicart, and then re-selling it, it is taking one more customer away from the homebrewer who worked so hard to produce the game.

Best advice...simply avoid Fernando Marin. At best, he is a re-seller with no concern for you or the hobby...just your hard earned cash. At worst, he is a scammer and eventually, someone will get burned far worse than me. In any case, if folks just ignore him and close up their wallets, he will just go away. Once the money has dried up, he will likely go find some other forum to try and rip off. It really is sad...parasites like this hurt the whole community.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Now I once had a seller here try and pass off 2 sheets of newspaper around a laser-based console bouncing around in a larger box as "good packaging" and "Bubble wrap is a stupid product because it doesn't do anything. People think it's magical." I thought that was rude and a ludicrous statement then.

Here's a new one that I couldn't believe:

eBay Seller: andrewr15001?ff3=10&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] - eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2908067679531?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290806767953&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I bought this and figured I got a great deal at only $15 + shipping. This is how I got the screen:

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

pic003.jpg

pic004.jpg

pic005.jpg

pic007.jpg

Who puts a sharp-cornered, rigid, fragile item in an envelope?? It is dirty, damp, and warped. There's a plastic lock that was snapped off. All for want of a box and some wrap. Yet another envelope that should have been a box.

Seller doesn't even care. No apology... nothing. His reply was essentially "suck it up or return it". Returning it would mean I spend $10 to send it back and he refunds me purchase only. SO... $21(original total) + $10(send back) - $15 (refund) means I'd pay $16 for the pleasure of this person's e-company for a week.

Ah well at least it still works I guess. Definitely not what I ordered though.

Edited by ClassicGMR

• 3 weeks later...

You know I put on every one of my auctions returns not accepted, but in reality I will resolve issues on my dime if I am at fault. I do this to keep scammers away. I package my shit good so the likelyhood of damage is slim to none. I had one problem in a trade on another site where I accidentally sent a snes mini instead of the original. I paid the person to send me the mini back and I sent him the correct system.

I had one ebay problem in the past 10 years where I sent a guy a snes and I'm not sure if he was trying to scam me or not but he sent pics of a smashed up snes and posted directly in email, "This did NOT happen in shipping". Well I know for a fact it didn't get sent that way. I carefully looked over his pics and it was missing distinguishing flaws mine had. I did not refund him anything based on the situation. I felt he was trying to screw me and return to me a broken system he already had

I still feel bad over it and that was years ago. I wonder if it actually was mine and was smashed in shipping. He deleted his account soon after that which is why it makes me wonder.

Nah, sounds like he was a scammer. You shouldn't feel bad but I understand - I'm the same way. I know you pack your stuff well, the Sears 2600 you sold me a while back was packaged great and arrived undamaged - anyway, don't worry about it - you did what you thought was right and no one can fault you for that :thumbsup: plus it sounds like that guy really was trying to pull one over on you.

I still feel bad over it and that was years ago. I wonder if it actually was mine and was smashed in shipping. He deleted his account soon after that which is why it makes me wonder.

It's funny how things like that stick with us over the years. I still feel bad for a Telegames Jag game I mailed someone in the late '90s (or maybe 2000). Apparently it was completely crushed in transit, as I had mailed it in a bubble envelope. I was just a teenager at the time, I didn't know better to be honest, but it still gets me when I think about it today, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I once had a seller here try and pass off 2 sheets of newspaper around a laser-based console bouncing around in a larger box as "good packaging" and "Bubble wrap is a stupid product because it doesn't do anything. People think it's magical." I thought that was rude and a ludicrous statement then.

Here's a new one that I couldn't believe:

eBay Seller: andrewr15001?ff3=10&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] - eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2908067679531?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290806767953&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I bought this and figured I got a great deal at only $15 + shipping. This is how I got the screen:

Who puts a sharp-cornered, rigid, fragile item in an envelope?? It is dirty, damp, and warped. There's a plastic lock that was snapped off. All for want of a box and some wrap. Yet another envelope that should have been a box.

Seller doesn't even care. No apology... nothing. His reply was essentially "suck it up or return it". Returning it would mean I spend $10 to send it back and he refunds me purchase only. SO... $21(original total) + $10(send back) - $15 (refund) means I'd pay $16 for the pleasure of this person's e-company for a week.

Ah well at least it still works I guess. Definitely not what I ordered though.

Did you file a paypal claim? You should be able to win pretty easily, and not have to pay return shipping.

• 4 weeks later...

ok so here goes

around 2 years ago i sold syntexerror

a panasonic 3do

a 500gb sata hard drive

a sega dreamcast

all for $80

this was around hurricane irene, i actually felt sorry for the guy, so i sent the items to him first, i told him to pay me later, after around a month or so. He tells me his kids died, all i got was he was dealing with depression etc.

so i left the guy alone, thinking maybe hey he killed himself. During that time i have been working traveling and in charge of business deals.

today after not being here for almost a year i check syntexerror last login and i see nov 17 2012 wtf, this jerk off could not even respond to my emails or anything.

I just want a response from this guy. I tried to do a honest and nice thing and instead i get taken advantage of. I am very serious of finding this guy.

ok so here goes

around 2 years ago i sold syntexerror

a panasonic 3do

a 500gb sata hard drive

a sega dreamcast

all for $80

this was around hurricane irene, i actually felt sorry for the guy, so i sent the items to him first, i told him to pay me later, after around a month or so. He tells me his kids died, all i got was he was dealing with depression etc.

so i left the guy alone, thinking maybe hey he killed himself. During that time i have been working traveling and in charge of business deals.

today after not being here for almost a year i check syntexerror last login and i see nov 17 2012 wtf, this jerk off could not even respond to my emails or anything.

I just want a response from this guy. I tried to do a honest and nice thing and instead i get taken advantage of. I am very serious of finding this guy.

No. You agreed to let him slide on his debt. This result is all on you. I've made the same mistake myself before. It happens.

i totally dont disagree with you theloon, i did not say he didnt have to pay me ever, so why would i say it now, plus there is proof in my pms if moderators want to check them. please do not put words in my mouth. thank you

Didn't put words in your mouth. You let him slide according to your own statement. Does that make him right to continue to not pay his debts? Nope. Does it make him a bad trader to accept your lenience? No.

what do you mean i let him slide. I thought he killed himself, plus i have pms from saying he would send me my stuff.

Don't feel like making this a personal conversation. I'm just saying that there's some mutual blame for this situation that should be taken care of by both of you before posting in this topic.

lol LOON did i say the words do not pay or no you can have my stuff for free.

any way i know how this is going to go, i got enough information to get in touch with him

hahahahahahaha

all i know is this guy off should have at least returned a pm within 2 years, thanks for returning my pm loon(not you loon)

honestly i felt sorry for the guy he lost his home then his kids, but thats no excuse.

anyway dont ban this guy but i want everyone to know how sneaky this guy is.

this guy couldnt even ship me back a 500 sata drive that would have cost him $5 to ship, talk about a go screw yourself attitude but i am more important.

i am so glad this is the least of my worries

life is so good in my life now

i am getting married

having a kid soon

and i have the chance to employ all my friends and relatives to the point they wont have to work ever again in there life.

every statement in this post is true and i would be very grateful if this does not get edited or deleted

Edited by 9ball

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

I've been struggling to resolve a problem with a seller on ebay, retrogamingdepot, for several months now.

The gist of the situation is I purchased a game (Raft Rider) from him in November, and I still have not received it. The seller admitted he never sent it, but never took action to resolve it.

I thought that this was a case of the seller simply not knowing how to handle shipping a package, as he admitted he made a mistake, and seemed like he was trying to resolve it. But given the fact that the seller never acted on his promises to resolve the situation, and the fact that he stopped responding to my messages at a point where enough time had elapsed that I could no longer leave feedback or open a case on the transaction, I somewhat suspect he was just stalling for time.

I will post the relevant parts of my exchanges to him, and you can make up your own mind about the intent.. But the key thing here is that the seller took my money, never shipped, and is no longer responding to my messages.

The thread starts here (November 28th, 2012):

----

Sent Date: Nov-27-12 23:09:40 PST

Dear retrogamingdepot,

Sorry for not reporting this sooner, but I just got around to opening this box.

I am very happy with everything, except the Raft Rider cartridge was not in the box with the other games.

Can you check to see if you forgot to include it?

Thanks

---

Sent: Nov-28-12 06:42 AM

I apologoze for this. I will check on that and make sure. Will send it out ASAP.

Lloyd

- retrogamingdepot

---

Sent: Nov-30-12 09:01 AM

Hi,

I double checked this and it looks like I did in fact not send it. I just need to figure out how to print another shipping label and get that out to you.

I apologize for this.

Lloyd

- retrogamingdepot

---

Sent Date: Dec-14-12 06:27:06 PST

Hi Lloyd,

Did you ever send this? I don't think I've seen it, yet.

---

Sent: Dec-14-12 09:31 AM

Oh! I am so sorry. No. I will get this out. I was swamped w/ Atari games. My mistake. On it's way.

Lloyd

- retrogamingdepot

---

Sent Date: Dec-14-12 11:02:17 PST

Dear retrogamingdepot,

Understood. I am also swamped with Atari games. I've spent a few thousand on Atari stuff over the last couple of months, and they're stacked up all over my house.

I'm trying to fill the gaps in my Atari collection, and replacing my rough condition games with better condition ones. Doing so has involved buying lots of large lots of games and sorting out what I need from what I don't need and selling the rest.. It is messy work!!

I appreciate honest sellers like you. It has been shocking how many sellers I have been dealing with have blatantly misrepresented what they were selling, or who shipped me packages full of cob-webs and insects (dead and live). I also sell on eBay, and I can't imagine what these people are thinking when they send out a package full of filth.

So I totally know what you are dealing with on the difficulty keeping it all organized, but I would appreciate it if you could send me confirmation that you've shipped the missing game. Tracking information would be extra helpful.

Thank you!

---

Sent: Dec-22-12 12:16 PM

Hi,

I am having a hard time figuring out how to print a new shipping label for this. And Ebay is no help to me at all. I have it ready to go. Would it be okay if I send this out next week by going to the post office and doing it that way. For some reason when i try ti print a label it says I have printed the max avail and I have talked to Ebay/Paypal twice about this. Another one that I had to send was real easy to do.

Another option and I am not sure if you would want to do would be to paypal me $1 for an item w/ proper shipping and I will refund $2 back (I promise.). That way I will be able to ship this easily w/ a label. This post office in NYC right now is just insane. The last time I was there for an international I order I wanted over an hour in line.

I feel so bad about this but Ebay's system to print another label is not working right for this one. Says I have to void a label before I print another, but I can't void a label that has already been shipped. That makes no sense.

Lloyd

- retrogamingdepot

---

Sent: Dec-22-12 03:27 PM

Dear retrogamingdepot,

You can print a label from the USPS web site. I used that site regularly, until I switched to stamps.com.

---

Subject: jxu82 has sent a message

Sent Date: Jan-30-13 15:36:51 PST

Dear retrogamingdepot,

Since it doesn't appear that you're going to send me the cartridge, can I at least get a refund?

---

Sent: Feb-01-13 12:58 PM

I know I had issues printing another label and for the life of me I can't find it. I will go in Paypal and find the transaction and issue a refund.

Lloyd

----

Note that the refund was never sent, and the several messages I have sent since 2/1/13 have been ignored.

If I ever manage to get resolution on this, I will update this message.

Hello,

I'm not really sure of the worth or cost of the game on its own. Seems that on ebay, Raft Rider goes for about 15 bucks or so on its own. He might have noticed that he could have gotten more money out of it if he sold it alone and might have deliberately not include it in the lot he sold you.

I tried to see if he's selling it on its own, and it seems that he has no items for sale since 1/21/13.

I would try to call ebay in regards to the situation since it seems you can't open up a case on him online. Since you have a relatively good trace of e-mails, I don't see how they wouldn't side with you.

I'd tell them that at this point, you would just like a refund, but if he really wants to make things right with you, he should send you the game. Be sure that you have a copy of the listing, that included the game in it.

• Like 1

I would try to call ebay in regards to the situation since it seems you can't open up a case on him online. Since you have a relatively good trace of e-mails, I don't see how they wouldn't side with you.

I actually did call them earlier today, but they won't do anything because it is past 45 days. They recommended I submit the case to ic3.gov (Internet Crime Compaint Center) and fraud.org.

It sounds like the scumbag just strung you along till he hit the 45 day mark...then all he has to do is ignore your emails. This is a well known and exploited loophole for fraudulent sellers. Sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

[/size]

I actually did call them earlier today, but they won't do anything because it is past 45 days. They recommended I submit the case to ic3.gov (Internet Crime Compaint Center) and fraud.org.

It's worth a try. I have never had any experience with either of those two departments. If you payed through paypal by using a credit card, I would try contacting the credit card company and see what they could do for you.

Even your bank would help you out if you used your checking account.

Edited by isolomon6
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I don't know if this really considered a ba trader but someone who rips people off horribly in my opinion is one. I asked him what he would offer me for the following genesis games (I sent him the below pic). He replied $41. If you really want to get pissed look at what he charges. He offered me less than $1 per game and sells many of them complete ones for $15 or more! Not too mention I have some pretty decent games. Trust me he got a VERY rude email back from me. Below is his site.

http://www.dkoldies.com/default.asp

100_3387_zps6dee54d6.jpg

His email reply.

Hi Iceman,

I can pay $41 for everything you listed.

To sell print this email and enclose it with the items you are selling and send them to:

DKOldies - Sell Your Games

88 Village Square

Honey Brook, PA 19344

For questions please email me or call 610-273-3703, Monday through Friday, 9am to 2pm est.

Upon your items being checked in here, we will mail you a company check,

transfer the money into your PayPal account or apply your trade credit and email you.

The quote you have received is good for 4 days. Please ship your order out within that time.

Thanks,

Drew

www.DKOldies.com

610-273-3703

Mon-Fri, 9am-3pm ET

Well I don't know if this really considered a ba trader but someone who rips people off horribly in my opinion is one. I asked him what he would offer me for the following genesis games (I sent him the below pic). He replied $41. If you really want to get pissed look at what he charges. He offered me less than $1 per game and sells many of them complete ones for $15 or more! Not too mention I have some pretty decent games. Trust me he got a VERY rude email back from me. Below is his site.

I don't see this as him doing anything wrong. You're not obligated to sell to him.

He's a reseller, so he can't make a profit if he doesn't buy at a low price. The guy is probably trying to make a living doing this.

I can appreciate your annoyance, though. I feel like I've been cheated anytime I bring a stack of books into a certain local used bookstore and wait around in the store for them to make me some lowball offer. I wasted my time going down there and waiting for their ridiculous offer, so it is frustrating, but it is usually a situation where I just need to unload the stuff with minimum hassle.

You'd probably be better off listing this on eBay as an auction (with a low starting price), or listing each game individually at a buy it now price. It is alot more work, but you'll probably do much better than any reseller will give you. You just need to make a choice on price or convenience.

• Like 3

Well I assumed based on his other prices he wasnt goiung to be a complete rip-off! I do sell on ebay myself and will probably go that route. You are correct in that he can offer what he wants but his offer was straight up redicolous. He could have easily offered more than that and still made a hefty profit especially at his astronimcal prices.

I could pay someone twice what he offered and still double my money, just saying! This is why the world is what it is. GREED!