IGNORED

Who has built the controller adapter at www94.pair.com?

tta583

Here is the link to the adapter to which I am referring:

http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/gen_2_5200_adap.html

I am going to build one (Actually 2) but have a question. Do you simply tie all the grounds together? Connecting pin 15 from the console through to the "new" D-sub 15 makes sense. I would see that you also need to tie it in to pin 8 on the D-sub 9 for the digital controller. Can you also tie in the grounds for the 4052s (pins 6, 7, and 8 on each) to the same ground?

Thanks!!

Well my motives are two fold. One, yes I would like a digital alternative to the 5200 controllers. Second, and most important for me, is that this is a learning experience. I have always had a passing fancy to learn more about electronics. I have been reading, building kits, etc... This will be my first circuit on a "generic" PCB where the details and component placement is up to me.

I've built it :D

Yes, all ground is common.

Great!! Thanks!!! I was beginning to wonder if anyone had actually built the thing.

I've built it too and it actually works rather well. I was looking to get rid of it since I'm dumping my 5200, but now I'm debating keeping the interface just in case I ever get another. As for the earlier post as to why not buy a redemption? This circuit has been around longer than the redemption has been, and I too built it for the learning experience. Why spend money on something that you can build yourself cheaper?

The common concensus I've always seen here is that by the time you include parts and labor, you're always better off to buy the Redemption adapter if you're this serious about avoiding the 5200 stock controllers.

Not true. I built 2 of them for less than 10 bucks. the 4052's can be had on Epay for 25 cents each, I got 2 PC joysticks from good will for $2 bucks for the db15 cords, any old sound card has the female db15 so say like $1 for a shitty ISA sound card. and the db9's? well pull them out of whatever is laying around. a joystick, a PC mouse, ect. the resisitors are like 4 cents each (figuring in on a bulk pack from PS is $3 bucks) and the boards from RS are like 3 or 4 bucks and you can cut one in half and have plenty of room to still make your curcuit just fine. They take baout 1 hour each to build and test and you can add your own buttons to them also for the start\reset\apuse also. I'm a fan of the redemptions also don't get me wrong I did buy 2 of them and they look more professional with the nice label and all but for the cost efficant type that know how to build circuits it is far cheaper to make your own.

They take baout 1 hour each to build and test and you can add your own buttons to them also for the start\reset\apuse also.

You're faster then me, those projects always seem to go slow. Especially cutting out holes in the project box, yuck.

They take baout 1 hour each to build and test and you can add your own buttons to them also for the start\reset\apuse also.

You're faster then me, those projects always seem to go slow. Especially cutting out holes in the project box, yuck.

Took one hour for thew second one. First one was more closer to two hours. You always get better after you have done something before I find. Also he is a link to where you can get the 4052's for 25 cents. This is where I got mine. Good seller and good working parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7512369147

Took one hour for thew second one. First one was more closer to two hours. You always get better after you have done something before I find. Also he is a link to where you can get the 4052's for 25 cents. This is where I got mine. Good seller and good working parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7512369147

Shawn Sr.

Thanks for the follow up. I think I am going to get them at jameco.com along with all the other stuff I need. They have them from TI for .48. They also have them listed as from "Major Brands" for like .44.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...roductId=272081

At least I hope this is the right one!! This stuff is still WAY new to me.

Totaled up I am at like $22 plus shipping for all that I need. IC’s (including a spare or 2), 10 (minimum order) IC sockets (just because), 100 packs of 5 different resistor values, and the 15 and 9 pin D-subs (plus spares, just because). I even included 2 100’ spools of 22 AWG wire (1 stranded, 1 solid). That price, however, is minus some solder hobby boards and enclosures that I got from RS. Jameco had (as best I could tell) no generic solder board. As to the enclosures, I wanted to put my hands on them to size them up. I never was good at visualizing them from measurements.