IGNORED

'Super Pac-Man' TV Games Pictures

PacManPlus

Hey Guys:

With Pac-Man and Pac Plus, the monsters' behavior is *definately* different from the arcade. Clyde (for instance) chases you much more actively than in the arcade.

Also, (I know this is a nitpick) the 'sprite priorities' are wrong... the Monsters are supposed to overlap Pac-Man when in close proximity... instead Pac-Man shows on top of the monsters! It just doesn't look correct... Now in Super PacMan and PAc & Pal this is ok, because for some reason it's like that in the arcade. But not for PacMAn and Plus.

Super Pac and 'Pac & PAl' are somewhat closer to the arcade than the other two.

Either Way, I'm still kind of glad I picked this up :)

Edited by PacManPlus

Well, it's nice that we have a way to get Super PacMan without having to hit ePay for the old Namco Museum Volume 2 for Playstation. Hell, the fact that Super PacMan is available again in general is reason to celebrate, even if it's not quite right.

BestBuy.com has this image:

7798341_ra.jpg

However, this is not exactly the same unit as what PacManPlus has in his images. The most obvious difference is the second button in Best Buy's image. Also, in Best Buy's, there is a black circle on the base at its upper right hand corner; this is the "GameKey Ready" seal that's on some of Jakks' newer units. Lastly, note that the upper right area of the unit in this image protrudes slightly. I believe that is a GameKey slot. I am guessing that this means Jakks is doing with the Super Pac-Man unit the same thing they did a couple of months ago with their Justice League unit: first release a non-GameKey version, then release a GameKey-capable version with an extra button. So, this might be the one to hold out for, rather than going out and buying the Super Pac-Man TV Game which Toys 'R Us and Target have right now. I'm not going to return the one I bought a week ago, but I'm not opening it yet, either, just in case a GameKey version does come out in a month or so.

For the record, no plug-and-play unit uses emulation. The word "emulation" means that non-native code is running on the hardware through a software interpretation layer. This is not cost-effective for a consumer product, as you'd have to have faster (i.e., pricier) hardware to make up for the interpretation latency. I'd guess something on the scale of a Pentium to fully emulate all the original arcade hardware at the proper speed. It wouldn't cost $20 anymore. Instead, these are all ported to this platform. Jakks contracts with mostly GBA developers to make their TV Games (in the case of this one, it's British developer HotGen, which has done the previous Namco TV Games, as well as some other TV Games).

onmode-ky

ok the wife was at target yesterday and when she got home she had pick me up this plug n play unit i was thrilled.she said it was $19.98 or something close to that so its afew dollers cheaper than what it was at toys r us which is cool.i have enjoyed this plug n play so far and i thought it was great it keeps your high score.i havnt played super pac-man or pac-man plus in years and i have never played pac-pal so that was a treat.get this if your a pac-fan you will love it.

ok the wife was at target yesterday and when she got home she had pick me up this plug n play unit i was thrilled.she said it was $19.98 or something close to that so its afew dollers cheaper than what it was at toys r us which is cool.i have enjoyed this plug n play so far and i thought it was great it keeps your high score.i havnt played super pac-man or pac-man plus in years and i have never played pac-pal so that was a treat.get this if your a pac-fan you will love it.

PacManPlus wrote:

That's odd - mine does not have the gamekey port on it. (Maybe that picture is a mock up)

While the picture may be a mockup, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Going by my theory, it's not odd at all that your stick does not have the GameKey port. Yours and the one I have may both be the first-wave release, without the port, and there may be a later release of the stick that does have the port (and extra button). This would not be the first time Jakks has done this. There's the Star Wars one, which was first released as a no-port Vader model and was released shortly thereafter with the port. More recently, the Justice League model came out first with no GameKey port, and then a few weeks or so later, it was out again with the port and a third button.

I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if a GameKey-enabled model of Super Pac-Man comes out. If not, then I'll open the (no-port) model that I have sitting in my living room. After all, Toys 'R Us policy says I have until the end of June before I can't return it anymore.

onmode-ky