IGNORED

emulation vs the real system

jerry32

hello everybody i need you guys to be honest i am thinking about 2 things i am thinking abut buying a used x-box and having it modded to play my m.e.s.s emu's or buying the real system (((((father's day gift )))) i already have a x-box should i buy the real system from a2600.com ((((colecovision and a5200)))) or get the x-box mod ........money is not the issue :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The "real deal" is usually better. There are no compatability issues with it for one thing. But there is one thing emulators are better at. That is finding games at affordable prices. Many of the rare, expensive and import games that I play are ROMs. Also original equipment might not be in the best of shape.

But go with the real equipment, the thrill of the hunt is sometimes as exciting as the games themselves! ;)

Getting the x-box mod will probably be cheaper in the long run, since you will still have to buy games for the 5200 and CV. If money is not the issue though, I would buy the 5200 and CV, as well as one of the flash Multi-Carts that classics sells for each one of them. That way you can play all of the games on original hardware :)

The order of preference from most preferred to the least preferred is this:

1. original system with original carts

2. original system with flash cart, multi-cart, or cart copier

3. emulation

Note that emulation is the absolute last choice and the least preferred. Regardless of what many people believe, emulation is typically not very accurate, meaning that games will have incorrect audio, video, or even lag in the controls and additional bugs in games. You also won't be able to use the system's native controllers, guns, joysticks, paddles, etc... for which the games were originally designed.

There are some exceptions to this. Some systems have USB controller adapters, but sometimes they introduce lag or they aren't compatible with all peripherials. Also, some emulators (Nestopia for the NES for example) are highly accurate and could past a "taste test" against the real system and original game carts. However, even then, there are inaccuracies... and somebody that has played a game for 20+ years on real hardware would easily be able to tell the difference in a "taste test" of emulator vs real system.

If you are still considering emulation on the xbox, what emulators are you going to use?

With MESS, 5200 compatibility sucks, but if the games you want to play work then maybe you should go with it.

With Atari800, the compatiblity is great but I don't think it alows you to setup the second fire button (just like with Windows,Linux,etc).

These are the reasons I did kat5200 in the first place, and if I get good compatibility with the next release, I'll start porting it to other systems. Since I have an xbox, this would be a good canidate.

However, like I and others have said above, you just just can't go wrong with the real thing.

I wish I could give advice about the CV, but I just don't know enough.

Good Luck,

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Since I'm not made of money and new games and the other system I collect for can get quite expensive I have no problems emulating plenty of systems on my Xbox. However, if money isn't an issue why even ask? The real stuff is cooler, except not having to switch out carts.