IGNORED

What Atari 800 games require 48k?

Just as the topic asks. Because I'm contemplating just getting an Atari400 due to the fact my Demon Attack cartridge refuses to boot (yay for incompatibility with XL/XE systems..). If there's a lot that requires the extra memory, I'll go with the 800 instead.

Edited by NightSprinter

Fixed Demon Attack ROM, will now work properly on XL/XE (in the emulators),

and, and XEX file which will work on any 48K+ machine (binary load from DOS or use menu loader):

demon_fixed.zip

The cartridge has some code that "self-destructs" a RAM-loaded image, so I "fixed" it.

Fixed incompatible with the XL (had illegal calls to $E7D1, instead of using the proper VBV routine call at $E45F)

That game looks like an almost straight port from the 2600.

The self-destruct code was fairly easy to spot and remove.

It's only a 4K cart so the XEX would load fairly quickly on a 1050.

Maybe we should start a thread for fixing games which have incompatibility issues - most fixes are fairly simple.

Also, a lot of cart images probably won't work if RAM-loaded since the copy protection is still in place.

A few were done on this thread, mostly there aren't too many

titles incompatible, but if someone finds one and just posts it as

a new thread then people here are sure to pick it up fairly quickly.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32830

I'd hazard a guess that NightSprinter more or less would like a

kind soul to take the XL ROM image and blow it to a PROM to

replace the one in his cart? I don't think my Willem programmer

goes down to chips that small though.

Regards,

Mark

I'm presuming that the original question was about 400/800 only carts, since the OP appears to have an XL system already.

I can't think of any carts that require an OS-A/B machine that need 48K to run. IIRC, only the XE-labelled releases need that kind of memory, and some of those need 64K. All will run on XL machines anyhow.

I believe that some Video 61 games also need 48 or 64K, but I don't collect them, so I'm not really very interested.

Yes, you do have that correct. I was asking as I was pondering getting an Atari 400 for all my OSA/B and 4-8 player games while my XE was for all the new games. I asked if there were any that would need the full 48k on the 800 in case that would make owning the 400 not worth it.

In that case, I don't think that you need the extra RAM. I can't think of any carts that need 48K or more that won't run on the XE.

However, most people prefer the 800's keyboard to that on the 400. I quite like the 400 keyboard, but I'm in a minority. Of course, it's also possible to get a 400 with more than the standard 8/16K of RAM.

The situation is very different when it comes to disk- and cassette-based games, though. Many of them require additional RAM, beyond the standard 8/16K.

Well, turns out I found a disk game that requires an Atari 800 (or expanded 400): the DataSoft version if DigDug. Just curious, can one still acquire what is needed to expand the memory of an Atari400 to 48k (I'm still interested in the 400, Almost Rice, so lemme know when you find and test it)? Just a curiosity.

Well, turns out I found a disk game that requires an Atari 800 (or expanded 400): the DataSoft version if DigDug. Just curious, can one still acquire what is needed to expand the memory of an Atari400 to 48k (I'm still interested in the 400, Almost Rice, so lemme know when you find and test it)? Just a curiosity.

Yes, many disk and cassette games require 32K or 48K.

Memory expansion cards for the 400/800 appear on ebay quite often, and don't usually fetch very high prices.

So, how difficult is it to upgrade the 400's memory compared to the 800? I know that you can just lift the cover to expose the cartridge and memory slots on the 800, but last I saw for a 400 only a cartridge slot was revealed.

You have to disassemble the computer.

-Bry

So, how difficult is it to upgrade the 400's memory compared to the 800? I know that you can just lift the cover to expose the cartridge and memory slots on the 800, but last I saw for a 400 only a cartridge slot was revealed.

I think you can still get the upgrade from Best or B&C Computervisions. Its a slot internal to the system. You replace the 16k slot with a 48k one.

• 5 months later...