IGNORED

Should I get an Amiga?

ApolloBoy

You don't want a 1000 for programming. You probably don't want one for games for that matter ;)

A 1200 would probably be a better fit.

Yeah, but they aren't too common on eBay and they seem to go up for a lot of money. Could I get one from the UK and use an American power supply with it?

I do believe so. A friend of mine and I both contacted AmigaKit about that, and I do believe they said it was possible to do so safely. Ask them first before proceeding (as common-sense always tells us). Do note that some games may not run properly or at all on the 1200 due to the AGA chipset and the KickStart 3.0/3.1 rom chips. You'll need either a degrader disk (like the ReloKick sold on eBay), or get an original A500.

One last note: some games will NOT display properly on an NTSC screen (I know, as my game Pac-Mania trades off the score and lives display part of the screen for the full arcade speed). Bear this in mind. You're probably going to need a television capable of PAL signals, or a 1084-S monitor if you need to go with a PAL system here in the US.

[Disclaimer] I'm not an Amiga expert, just going by what I know and what I've learned from posts at the amiga.org forums.

I have two Amiga 2000's sitting and collecting dust. I haven't turned them on in at least 10 years. I might be willing to part with one.

One is a stock 2000 the other has a Video Toaster and the upgraded CPU. I can't remember but I think the upgrade was called Progressive 040.

I can hunt them down and see if they still work. I'm not even sure if they have any HD's or memory in them. But I have plenty of older HD laying around. And no software that I know of. I have all my Amiga stuff on DVD's for use with emulators now.

Amiga 500 or 600 would be the best and easiest way to go for gaming...

an 1084 monitor is great for PAL/NTSC gaming as you'll just need a boot disc to do PAL...

I have an Amiga 2000HD that I still fire up every month or so...

Cheers,

Ben

One annoying thing about the Amiga 1000 is that every time you start the machine, it needs a Kickstart floppy disk to get the machine to work. If you don't have a Kickstart floppy, the machine is pretty much useless. Later Amiga models didn't need a bootdisk, so i'd consider one of those.

I have an Amiga 1000 and a matching 1080 monitor, the 1st ever Amiga's that were released. That collection angle is about all that it's good for :) There's much better models out there for the reasons mentioned above.

It's kind of a pain to play games on the older model Amigas due to disk loading times. If you can get a 1200, you'll be able to install anything you want to play on the hard drive via WHDLoad. This will fix most compatibility issues as well. Well worth it if you really want to get into the system.

I'd agree with others though; something like the 500 would be good for a "first look". I haven't actually used a 1000, so I can't say if it's much different in practical terms from the 500.