IGNORED

Pitfall II on the 7800?

crash

Works fine on both my 7800s, though it takes a lot shoving to make sure it's seated well enough to work properly.

That has nothing to do with the problem. It is a technical issue as I have mentioned above.

The resistor mod has nothing to do with Pitfall II. Never has. The Activision games that are problematic for a scant few 7800's due to the timing resistor Atari put in for 2600 Dark Caverns are Robot Tank, Space Shuttle, and The Activision Decathlon.

Pitfall II frequently has a cartridge seating problem on the 7800 though. Especially on the later "cheaper" 7800's that used a more narrow cartridge cup/mobo-sheild.

• Like 1

• 14 years later...

I recently picked up a Pitfall 2. It doesn't work on either of 7800s. One is a 87 with an expansion port and the other is a 88 without one. The best I get is screen rolling but its very hard to even get it to that point. I also have the 2600 lock on adapter so seating isn't really issue. I wonder if it's the cart or my 7800s. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, envytomdead2 said:

I recently picked up a Pitfall 2. It doesn't work on either of 7800s. One is a 87 with an expansion port and the other is a 88 without one. The best I get is screen rolling but its very hard to even get it to that point. I also have the 2600 lock on adapter so seating isn't really issue. I wonder if it's the cart or my 7800s. 

Not positive on the '87 unit but your '88 unit likely has the extra timing circuit that was mentioned a bit further up in this thread. It is listed as a resistor but is actually a banded ceramic capacitor. Just have to clip one of the legs off that capacitor to disable that part of the circuit and restore several of the troublesome Activision games that didn't work, back to working status again. Assuming the cartridge port and games are cleaned and making good contact still.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not positive on the '87 unit but your '88 unit likely has the extra timing circuit that was mentioned a bit further up in this thread. It is listed as a resistor but is actually a banded ceramic capacitor. Just have to clip one of the legs off that capacitor to disable that part of the circuit and restore several of the troublesome Activision games that didn't work, back to working status again. Assuming the cartridge port and games are cleaned and making good contact still.

Is this something a noob could do? It sounds straight forward. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 3:19 PM, Mitch said:

Have you tried it on a 2600 to verify that it works?

Mitch

I have not. I don't currently have one. 

On 10/3/2020 at 2:13 AM, 7800JAGFAN said:

If its rolling or black and white, you may be surprised to find you have a PAL Pitfall 2.  I have 6 7800's early to late and they all work with Pitfall 2, I had a problem like that with Crash Dive and it was a US seller, but indeed a PAL game, got a NTSC cart and it worked just fine.    

I bought it at a local shop. It could just be the cartridge. I have gotten bad carts from them before. That's why I was wanting to see if there was a know issue. 

• Like 1

I opened up my '88 which is UAV modded. I was having difficulty getting the rf shield so I shined a flash light and saw that the c64 was indeed clipped which I thought might be the case because dark chambers does not work. I am leaning towards it might be the Pitfall 2 cart now. There are a few 2600 games that work on my 87 but not my 88 - Dark Chambers, Kung-Fu Master, Gravitar and Double Dragon. Kung-Fu Master, Gravitar and Dark Chambers are all black screen. Double Dragon keeps resetting itself once it starts playing. I am wondering if that timing circuit affects more than just Dark Chambers on certain runs of the 7800? The Double Dragon issue really makes think that is the case. 

54 minutes ago, envytomdead2 said:

I opened up my '88 which is UAV modded. I was having difficulty getting the rf shield so I shined a flash light and saw that the c64 was indeed clipped which I thought might be the case because dark chambers does not work. I am leaning towards it might be the Pitfall 2 cart now. There are a few 2600 games that work on my 87 but not my 88 - Dark Chambers, Kung-Fu Master, Gravitar and Double Dragon. Kung-Fu Master, Gravitar and Dark Chambers are all black screen. Double Dragon keeps resetting itself once it starts playing. I am wondering if that timing circuit affects more than just Dark Chambers on certain runs of the 7800? The Double Dragon issue really makes think that is the case. 

I believe Mitch mentioned that Stargate (AKA Defender II) would be another game likely effected by the removal of that capacitor but I've not had that happen myself when testing in the past. I do have all of those games and when I've used them to test other systems in the past, I didn't have any issues with those games.

If you can get that shielding off, you could also try and reattach the capacitor back down if it wasn't completely removed to see if that helps with the other games you've mentioned. If it does, then perhaps longer term was should be done is to either have people decide to keep it in place or not or figure out a way to install a switch into the system to toggle the circuit on/off as possibly needed.

• Like 1

@-^CrossBow^- Defender 2 does work on mine. I wonder what they might have done differently between stargate and Defender 2? The circuit is just clipped at one of the legs. Should the rf shield be difficult to get off? I was afraid to apply brute force because I don't have a soldering iron and didn't want to rip anything off the board by accident.. I had read you were just supposed to be able to bend the tabs back with a needle nose. The few tabs I saw were kind of mangled. They were sort of twisted.I straightened them the best I could to fit the slits but there was still zero movement which made me think I'd have to rip it off.