IGNORED

The Atari Flashback 3 Petition

I'm still very enthusiastic for Curt's original Flashback 3 concept--which, contrary to what some people seem to think, is based on the 400/800/5200 technology, and is not just another iteration of the Flashback 2. I started a thread over four years ago(!) which attempted to make the case for the idea to anyone from Atari who might have been following the discussions at the time, and I still believe it would make an excellent system.

I haven't been following the market very closely recently, but I get the impression that the demand for dedicated "TV games" has leveled off somewhat since then: Jakks is still out there recycling their Atari joystick and Namco arcade units, but I haven't seen nearly as much new product as we saw around the time the FB2 was released. Nevertheless, I'm still hopeful that the FB3 will happen someday, either through Atari or as an independent project from Legacy.

• Like 1

I'd play wait and see if a new version came out. It would really have to "Wow" me.

Good thing we base our products around whether AtariLeaf is "Wowed". icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry didn't mean to offend. I know you guys work hard on these. I'd just like to see something slightly different, as mentioned something based on the 5200 perhaps. I did like the homebrews on the 2+ though and would love to see a flashback with a lot of those.

Edited by AtariLeaf

I'm still very enthusiastic for Curt's original Flashback 3 concept--which, contrary to what some people seem to think, is based on the 400/800/5200 technology, and is not just another iteration of the Flashback 2. I started a thread over four years ago(!) which attempted to make the case for the idea to anyone from Atari who might have been following the discussions at the time, and I still believe it would make an excellent system.

That's just it, when I said "wowed" what I meant was something different than we've had with previous flashbacks. There are so many great games for the XL/5200 to choose from where licensing may not be an issue. I love this idea.

I think it be cool to get a flashback 3 but what would they put on it???

There is such a wide variety of games in the 800/5200 library that they could probably come up with several creative collections, in much the same way that they decided on a "sports theme" for the FB2+ (which I thought was an ingenious way of creating an alternative lineup of legally unencumbered titles).

For example, they could combine the best of the 800's and 5200's arcade ports (licensing fees permitting, of course), some of the XEGS cartridge conversion titles, original titles like Star Raiders, perhaps some third-party licensed product (from Activision, Synapse, Broderbund, etc.), a few board games and strategy games thrown in for good measure ... I can see plenty of possibilities there. They could even do a special sports-themed FB3 by tapping the 5200's RealSports titles.

From that perspective, the 800/5200 would be a much better candidate than the 7800 as the basis for a new Flashback, since the 7800's library is smaller and less varied--and is likely to remain so, 7800 homebrewers' best efforts notwithstanding.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

here is the Atari FB3, it's in the thread with links and all, but I'll tell you, Dreammary, you aren't missing out.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/183139-flashback-3-at-e3-is-it-real/page__st__125

it is NOT from Legacy, not really clear who it is from but it looks like a clone knock-off that is not worth anyone's time.

I'm still very enthusiastic for Curt's original Flashback 3 concept--which, contrary to what some people seem to think, is based on the 400/800/5200 technology.

Me too. It's good to hear that the FB3 will be based on an Atari computer (and the 5200 console!).

I've always liked the idea of playing Atari computer games on real hardware but found the prospect of buying an unreliable old floppy drive and aging software on disk or tape to be a bit worrying. A Flashback computer with an SD card or USB socket sounds like a more reliable option.

Edited by Math You

I found this thread looking for "SIO2PC Case" and was pleasantly surprised! I was afraid of being stoned to death for resurrecting such an old thread...

The problem with these old systems is that the games are simple, and that same warm fuzzy memory (for me anyway) is lost without actual hardware. This could easily be made up for by using increased RAM on a new device. A couple of ideas:

A nice demo when powered on with sounds and graphics!!!

An excellent configuration menu with options to play in enhanced VBXE mode with dual pokey sound, 800/5200/VCS or auto select mode, or options to turn features on or off.

A built-in MP3 player (STA013) to play songs from OCREMIX :)

A regular joystick port so the CX78 Joypad or a mouse can be used

A RTC

Can run FJC GUI

A cartridge port

A SIO2PC port that doubles as a USB controller for the PC

A website to extend the experience of the device including a game loader, cart finder, High Score uploader, etc.

No permanent wires, only plugs and ports please!

Can run on batteries or AC power

The XEGS seems like a good starting point for a design so that a keyboard could be added later via PS/2 port?

I realize this is a ridiculous list of requirements, but the FlashBack II is already a perfect minimalist solution. Any suggestions?

Europe missed out on FB2? Did you know of FB2+?

FB1 was imported in few numbers...ans still some available to the shelves

it seems plug and play systems era finished.

FB2 (FB2+ ??? ) never released here and Atari Europe never replied emails in this sense.

So let me doubt they will do an FB3 only for US market..... :sad:

where to buy a new FB2 ( or FB2+ ) ?

where to read about the differences ?

thanks. MAX

Europe missed out on FB2? Did you know of FB2+?

FB1 was imported in few numbers...ans still some available to the shelves

it seems plug and play systems era finished.

FB2 (FB2+ ??? ) never released here and Atari Europe never replied emails in this sense.

So let me doubt they will do an FB3 only for US market..... :sad:

where to buy a new FB2 ( or FB2+ ) ?

where to read about the differences ?

thanks. MAX

just seen differences on Wikipedia about FB2+. I hate sports games. Pls let me know where I can buy a FB2 new or used. Many thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been following the market very closely recently, but I get the impression that the demand for dedicated "TV games" has leveled off somewhat since then: Jakks is still out there recycling their Atari joystick and Namco arcade units, but I haven't seen nearly as much new product as we saw around the time the FB2 was released. Nevertheless, I'm still hopeful that the FB3 will happen someday, either through Atari or as an independent project from Legacy.

I realize I'm responding late to this but, I couldn't agree more. I was thinking about the 800/5200 FB3 this weekend. As the years pass by on this concept I still hold out hope that it will happen. And yes, I still think the case can be made. Even though your topic is four years old, I think the case still holds water. It is a good read and I hope more member go back and read it.