IGNORED

Ultima V bug?

VW

I finally got around to starting Ultima V a mere 18 years late after buying it on Ebay but am having an annoying bug. Every now and then, during saving or at random other disk loading points, the game will ask me to stick in my Player/Underground disk even though it is already inserted. The game seems to lock up at this point as even if other disks are inserted, they are not checked (the disk drive light never comes back on). I am playing this on a 1040STE if that matters. Any help would be appreciated, I am wondering if this is just happening to me or if others have experienced wierdness with this game.

I finally got around to starting Ultima V a mere 18 years late after buying it on Ebay but am having an annoying bug. Every now and then, during saving or at random other disk loading points, the game will ask me to stick in my Player/Underground disk even though it is already inserted. The game seems to lock up at this point as even if other disks are inserted, they are not checked (the disk drive light never comes back on). I am playing this on a 1040STE if that matters. Any help would be appreciated, I am wondering if this is just happening to me or if others have experienced wierdness with this game.

Hmm, IIRC, the player/underground disk is the one you -can- make a backup copy of?

Its been a very long time since I played and beat this game. If so, I'd back it up right

away.

Another user suggested a TOS problem, maybe media detection. If so, when you

change the disk, try hitting <esc> on the keyboard before saving or when it gives

that error. Thats how you force TOS to make a media change from the desktop, I

just don't know if it will work with a game thats taken over the whole system.

HTHs.

Thats how you force TOS to make a media change from the desktop, I

AFAIK that's not going to help. ESC certainly forces GEM to attempt a media change detect, but I don't think Ultima V is GEM based.

Thats how you force TOS to make a media change from the desktop, I

AFAIK that's not going to help. ESC certainly forces GEM to attempt a media change detect, but I don't think Ultima V is GEM based.

RIght. Thats why I said, ", I just don't know if it will work with a game thats taken over the whole system."

:D

Seriously, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try, but I think you are right...

Later...

RIght. Thats why I said, ", I just don't know if it will work with a game thats taken over the whole system."

Later...

Gotcha - it's worth a shot, I just don't recall for sure if it's GEM based or not :)

I'm going to pull out my UV disks here and see if what happens...

Edited by remowilliams

Later...

Gotcha - it's worth a shot, I just don't recall for sure if it's GEM based or not :)

I'm going to pull out my UV disks here and see if what happens...

I can tell you what will happen. You'll start playing it again, drawn in by

its wonderful story-line (best of the ST series, IMHO), and we'll not see or

hear from you for the next 2-3 months! :D

I always loved that game. I do remember it being disk-access intensive

though. In fact, I'm pretty sure I put one of those "cacheing" programs in

the AUTO folder of the game. I believe it was "cachennn.prg" where you

renamed the "nnn" to whatever size cache you wanted. I think I ran mine

at 1/2 meg, 512k...and it made the game much faster. Larger values just

seemed to be counter-productive. Of course, this was on an ST that had

at least 1 meg of RAM. :)

Have fun, and beware the ShadowLords!

• 3 weeks later...
If somebody can reproduce the behavior under Steem using a Pasti image, I would be interested to check this.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I unfortunately don't have a whole bunch of time (like say to play through it ;) ) at the moment, but I did Pasti image my originals and they did boot correctly under Steem. I'll also now mention again just how cool Pasti is :cool: :D

As soon as I can get my hands on an original working Sundog disk (mine sadly has failed :( ) I'm going to Pasti image that sucker and put an end to this bad crack error nonsense.

As soon as I can get my hands on an original working Sundog disk (mine sadly has failed :( ) I'm going to Pasti image that sucker and put an end to this bad crack error nonsense.

Note that Sundog is one of the very few games that you must write to the copy protected disk. So it is a bit tricky to use the Pasti image.

In first place, I think you must make a Pasti image of an initiated game (after you entered your name, etc). Then you should (but I didn't test) be able to use the Pasti image without ever writing to it, just use Memory Snapshot to save the game instead.

IIRC correctly it is a random event that happened going into or out of towns/castles/dungeons/etc....

I think it cropped up later in the game - I just remember saving alot :)

Hmm, do you all think this was just a totally random event, or maybe

very dependent on hardware? Because I can remember playing this

game for literally weeks and months, and I don't remember the problem

you're describing.

I do remember it was 1 meg 1040 ST and later, a 4 meg 1040 STe that I

played it on...