IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on A8?

why not?

A) too much colours used

B) too straight design

Makin a design with less graphics, but the real necessary points, gives the primary impression. The "eye" does the rest.

If you draw "all" parts, you're closing the view of the game into the primary boundaries of the computer.

Remember The Eidolon.... it draws some "characteristic" lines making you sure you are playing inside a dungeon.

Well... if there is spare time available when the game is running why not adding elements?

so i went through the mule source

Sorry for jumping in without reading the thread (Diablo is just a clone Gateway to Apshai/Gemstone Warrior imo) but this sentence above caught my eye.

Are you saying that the source code for the original M.U.L.E. by Dani Bunten is availible somewhere?

That surely has got to be a type of some sort, because otherwise the game ought to have been ported to SDL and all kinds of platforms, with net play and all a long time ago.

PG... i do not mean the raster 4x2 overlay over the picture but i would need the tile puzzles... ;) which you used to construct the whole scene. and i mean not the chars because i can load them into any char editor ;)

but it costs time to look at the picture and assume f.e. how i can easily draw a wall... without puzzling the stuff together... as far as i see as an example... the wall consists 2x4 chars...

this is important to know to define the rules how the mapper will paint the tiles correctly on screen...

Ok, now I probably got your point, but unfortunately for the following few days I'll be busy with other work. Anyway, I'll get back to the graphics soon.

eobet... GA and GW are imho no action games...

http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/mule_document_en.html

and this is "simple maths" but complex in total... ;)

Holy crap!

Downloaded, and I was totally unaware by this. Why, oh why, hasn't anyone implemented this in C/C++ under SDL already? Brrr, my "to-do" games list is beginning to pile up, and I haven't even completed anything yet. :(

Thank you so much for the information!

Time to at least draw some nice graphics and fantasize a bit...

Well, there's Space Horse, and a few MULE clones around, and the sequel on the Amiga (underwater theme, forgot the name).

None of them really capture the feel of the original 800 version.

I considered a sequel once - extra features like longer run-time, nuclear reactors, orbiting satellite defence against pirates, ability to sabotage opponents.

Well, there's Space Horse, and a few MULE clones around, and the sequel on the Amiga (underwater theme, forgot the name).

None of them really capture the feel of the original 800 version.

I considered a sequel once - extra features like longer run-time, nuclear reactors, orbiting satellite defence against pirates, ability to sabotage opponents.

You're talking about Subtrade (avalilible both for Amiga and PC as shareware). Subtrade is actually nice, since it introduces mule farms, but some other aspects of it I've never really understood.

But since the source code is out now, surely a remake (not sequel) could be made which completely captures the feel of the original?

Anyway, I'll put it on my list to-do as I said ;) and stop hijacking this thread now. Thanks again! :D

btw. have you checked sword of forgal? is it just me or are the levels completly random which means going up one level and getting back results in a complete different level which you just left?

Yes, the levels are completely random. You can go up then back down to a different looking level. The documentation says that you can also get stuck if you are in an area that does not have stairs and you have no teleports left.

This is not good.

Okay, here is a new algorithm for randomly generating a dungeon.

dungeon2.zip

With this version, you are guarunteed to have a path to every room.

The algorithm is something like:

1. place random room in center
  2. draw a random path from center of room
  3. if run into edge of map, return to center of room
  4. place another room after a certain path length
  5. set new center of room
  6. goto 2

So, now you cannot get stuck on a level, unless there is something else strange like you do not have a key to a door.

post-4398-1151596411_thumb.png

post-4398-1151596425_thumb.png

Large rooms:

post-4398-1151596433_thumb.png

thats pretty cool.

Thanks!

Okay, this is a small update that fixes a few boundary conditions (like doors to no where) and has a few things in place to help it converge on an answer faster.

I also added random item placement...

dungeon3.zip

Btw. is it possible to generate twice the same map? so that e.g. when returning to the preceding level you will get the same maze without the need to remember it completely?

Edited by pseudografx

chris, your perl code looks far more readable and can easily translated into other languages... which is good.

Yeah, I like perl and do a lot of fast prototyping in it at work.

I checked my perl script and added the srand(976) line to the top, so that it seeds the random number generator, and we do indeed receive the same level for each seed... which makes sense.

I guess if you have code for generating a list of seeds, we can always get back to the same level...

i am getting closer to it... as it seems PGs gfx tiles still have some errors...

look onto my 1st diagonal wall drew by the mapper out of a bitmap... ole... very small progress... but there are still some issues with the tile set...

i am drawing a 4x4 wall tile but it's set interleaved so it paste to each other...

post-528-1151609093_thumb.png