IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on A8?

in a "fast" action hack'n slay? ;)

If you do inventory or change weapons or whatever on the other games the action pauses anyway.

Not sure how this would be so different. I guess you were thinking while action continues.

BTW, if you get into Champions of Norath it lets you configure 2 weapons and swap between them at the press of a button (newer releases). That way characters that use a bow/spear can switch to a backup weapon in an instant if you run out of arrows/spears.

Man I like modern gamepads.

small update.

just to let you know that the first inventory (but buggy) is implemented. it's far from perfect that's why i will not post a binary but a screenshot instead...

i will use the keyboard for selecting the stuff you want to wear or sell or drop... the system will be like in the console versions (baldur's gate + champions of norath). so you have tabs for weapon, armor, other stuff where you switch between these areas. the equipped weapon/armor will be marked visually.

post-528-1159898828_thumb.png

while i am implementing the "equip" routines for the weapons please check the new build and post your screenshots of your inventory. i want to check if the inventory and the item routines save all correct values and the combinations...

ah...damned... you are still equiped with the dagger so you have to fight bravely... but i will post later today at least a new one with the cheat... [ok... cheat version included]

please switch force back from playscreen/inventory/character screen just to look if the weapons are shown correctly... for example i have found that you are starting with the "large axe" in the cheat version and which is printed correctly in the inventory and character screen but as soon as a item is dropped the prefix changes... (but only the text...as the character screen shows you get no bonus/malus)...

so such things are the ones which are interesting for me to nail down these 3 subroutines which have to work correctly. as soon as these 3 do (item dropper, inventory, character screen) i can be implementing the "i want to wear" routines...

thanks for your help here... and please post your screens of your inventory or anything you might found strange...

btw. still PAL only...

Controls: Joystick port 1

I = inventory, exit with any key

C = Chararcter Info, exit with any key

in all versions the debug mode is enabled which means autopickup and gold+wepaons only are likely to be dropped.

post-528-1160296262_thumb.png

diablo7m.zip

thanks for your help here... and please post your screens of your inventory or anything you might found strange...

Hi Heaven,

I killed one or two monsters and the last one dropped a "Jagged Large Axe"..as

displayed in the inventory screen.

The character info screen, shows a "Steel Large Axe Of The Jacka"

and in the info line in the game displayed: "Large Axe"

best!

-/\/\artin

post-5657-1160300815_thumb.jpg

post-5657-1160301024_thumb.jpg

post-5657-1160301065_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ghost...

Danke Martin,

it seems you pointed me to the correct subroutine which i have fixed now... (and while listening to www.Kohina.com webradio i am in full 8bit mode... :D)

check out my screens... the cheat version is updated... but it seems it drops too many magic items... ;)

(watch my 3 screens... it's correct that the main screen + char screen are showing still the ring mail/large axe but the inventory all collected weapons).

post-528-1160307640_thumb.png

post-528-1160307657_thumb.png

post-528-1160307666_thumb.png

diablo7m.zip

I found a small bug. I played cheted version on emulator. When I start to play I have 30 Strength. After killing a few monsters I gained a level, and when I am starting to increase strength I get value "37" instead "31" when I continue increasing STR I get 32, 33... etc. I tried to increase strength only once to keep STR=37, but when I changed DEX or VIT it changed to 31.

When I start to increase DEX or VIT at first, changed parameter is increased proparly, but STR goes to 36 and than return to 30.

This situation occurs only when I gain level for first time.

ok... one big step made...

attachted the latest beta build .v8... now you can collect & wear weapons like you wish...

feel free to stress test the cheat version... again have a look on all 3 screens while switching back to inventory and take weapons... look at the stats in the char info screen if they are always the same for the same weapon and do not change... same goes to prefixes/sufixes... they should not stay on screen or confuse the item genrator while changing weapons...

f.e. if you have found a dagger of power and get an axe then you should not get an axe of power f.e.

another test scenario is not to pick up every weapon on the floor but mix the picking up order... the inventory modul is sorting the weapons by their appearence on the floor... f.e. your 1st weapon is always item #0 but when the item generator is dropping weapons each of the weapon gets an ID#... so when there are 3 weapons on the floor they are numbered #1, #2, #3 internally... so when you first pickup #3 and switch into the inventory screen you see your item #0 (which is what you are using already) and #3... but when you now pick up #1 and get back to the inventory you'll gonna see #0,#1,#3... that's simply because the routine is scanning the itembuffer from #0 to #max and shows only the ones which are marked with "picked up"-flag...

in the inventory screen you can change the weapon by pressing the key which is in front of the item name... a green marker should help you... the marker routine has some logical bug as it appears not when entering the inventory screen and pressing the same key of the weapon which you are already equipped with...

you can exit each of the screens (character/inventory) always by pressing ESC...

puh... a big milestone... took nearly 3 weekends...

post-528-1160325344_thumb.png

post-528-1160325362_thumb.png

diablo8cheat.zip

Hi,

I faced a bug - see screenshot. When the rightmost weapon appeared, I was not able to pick it. After this happened every new weapon that appeared was unpickable (though I was still able to pick money). Also, some creatures still appear out of sight in the left border of the screen.

ok... one big step made...

attachted the latest beta build .v8... now you can collect & wear weapons like you wish...

post-6830-1160386127_thumb.png

Edited by pseudografx

• 2 weeks later...

small update after vacation:

- improve stat bug fixed (better known as "37"... ;)). it was a simple "CLD" missing...damned BCD/HEX mode mix

- lifebars are moved off the screen when in character info/inventory

- inventory works better now with the indicator

one big issue what the inventory showed is that the game definitly drops too many magical items so i need to dig more into it here before i leave that too far...

in my vacation i made some progress in the mapper... ;) i might found a simple but nice dungeon creator... but have to see how it really looks at the end of the day... btw... when you leave a room or a hallway (hence walk through a door) all items left behind will be deleted as i can not save and compare all of the items right now...

post-528-1161636429_thumb.png

post-528-1161636439_thumb.png

diablo8cheat.zip

I went away for awhile, and look what gets started! I am very interested in a project like this, and have been batting around ideas of doing it myself. I started an online rpg on the PC several years ago, along the lines of what Chris is doing.

I posted all the C code I wrote for that game on my website:

http://ww.jeffersonsauctioneering.com/atari/project

It was isometric, and I had implemented line of sight, day/night cycles, non-player characters with an AI system, and A* path-finding (which seemed to work ok). I had a map editor that I guess was about 80% done. The server had a map cache and priority packet queue structures for each client (which would prioritize the map "chunks" that had to be sent down to the client.

None of that was very elegant, but I also spent A LOT of time researching various things to do a game like this, and have about 6 binders full of information and ideas.

Short story: I'd like to help out in some way if I possibly can. Can't gaurantee a ton of time committment, but I've almost finished a (non-atari) project so time might be in higher supply soon.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

Guys,

can you please playtest this cheat version? i changed the logic of the magical items so its more unlikely that you pick up a magical item... please kill some monsters and collect f.e. 16 weapons and have a look in the inventory screen if there are only non-magical items or if some appear. the last versions most likely dropped magical items but now it should be the opposite... but there should appear magical items...

the diablo8.obx is the one with cheats disabled...

diablo8cheat.zip

Edited by Heaven/TQA

There must be some bugs in the inventory code. When I keep on collecting items, the ones that are already in the inventory start to shift up. Until a certain point I cannot select the last item in the inventory. After a while I was also unable to pick up any more weapons even though the inventory still showed about 5 free slots. Later I was able to select the last weapon in the inventory but when revisiting it, the last weapon was not highlighted as the one used. I was also able to choose from empty inventory slots.

I tested it and there are some bugs. Sometimes after picking up a weapon it doesn't appear in the inventory. And I think that's why not always there is possible to pick up 16 weapons. Usually I was able to pick up 15-11 in tests I perform. I also notice that when I am collecting weapons on the screen (not pick it up) then my first weapon disapear from inventory. I performed a test. See screenshot

post-5979-1162315694_thumb.png.

There is 12 item on the screen. I also have "large axe" in the inventory

post-5979-1162315702_thumb.png

Then I killed few more monsters and there were 15 weapons on the screen

post-5979-1162315713_thumb.png

After looking into inventory I noticed that primary wepon disappear

post-5979-1162315720_thumb.png

And than after picking up all 15 weapons (I pick up all and then look into inventory) I noticed that I hae 13 weapons

post-5979-1162316502_thumb.png

This situation shown on the third screenshot I have saved in save state. After reading this save state in emulator again and collecting all weapons once again result in collected weapons were different each time.

About magic items - I only once found a magic item. I think that probability of finding a magic item is something around 1% or less.

ok. thanks! i'll gonna dig into the code again to see what is happening.

question: what is happening when there are 2 weapons beneath each other? or f.e. covered by the player 2x2 chars? at the moment i am not sure if the pickup-engine is checking all 4 cells...

simple test... if there are 2 weapons which are laying next to each other ("AB") and then picking them up by coming from south... there should be 2 weapons appearing in the inventory... if just 1 then my logic is wrong...

aarg... ;) what a complicated game... maybe i am switching back to demo coding... it's easier... ;) no just kidding.

Bingo :!: I tried out the folowing situations

Look at this screenshot:

post-5979-1162318861_thumb.png

One step right and... two weapons appears into inventory

In this situation also everything works fine

post-5979-1162318867_thumb.png

One step up and 2 items fall into inventory

But in this situation:

post-5979-1162318544_thumb.png

One step up and i found only gold :!:

The same here after moving right:

post-5979-1162318557_thumb.png