IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on A8?

Ok, here are 3 snapshots. In the first one there is already level 10 with messy creatures, snapshot *-2 is just before level #10 on the adding-hp-process (but additionally try to leave this room), and the last one (*-2a) show the "creature" that cannot be defeated but hangs the game instead.

My emulator vesrion is 4.0beta4 (cause i like ths one) and it's set to 320k (RAMBO), XL/XE, PAL.

Now what? ;)

diablo_states.zip

just back from my burning crusade.. blood elfes rock! and walking through the dark portal and arriving on another planet rocks as well... ;)

oops... as you can see i was only lost for few hours...

thanks miker! i will have a look into it. helps me to find the bugs... i am gonna test it on real machine as well and trace it with my turbo freezer debugger...

ok... after not spending playing burning crusade and leveling up my bloodelf warlock... i went through the printout of the source.

miker... i have found the bug you have discribed... i missed to expand one table to lv17... and this table is used for indexing the monster data... so for next release it should be fixed... at least this bug...

Ok, just checked the latest build. And...

Level 10 is hardly beatable. The "bubble-ghosts" which appear here should have less power as they become too hard to beat. Also, initial number of potions should be e.g. 2, because sometimes very beginning of the game can turn into game over in no time. :P

Also the room bug (described above) should be fixed as well as inventory bug (sometimes particular weapon can't be selected), room bug (described above) and inventory-health-bug (this is rather self-explanable).

And one more thing - maybe there isn't need for dropping weapon. You can add "throw out weapon" option in order to elliminate unwanted weapons like dozens of daggers and so on...

well - it's all for now :)

Edited: PM sent!

Edited by miker

• 3 weeks later...

just finished a simple keyboard input routine. so as you can see i am still working on it but right now i am spending time to bugfix stuff miker and others already found and try to implement smaller routines which do not mix up the whole bunch f.e. limited monster amount per room etc.

• 3 weeks later...

ok. here is something for the software engineers... i have spend some time thinking about a new inventory que system. just boot the atr and it will show you some weird chars on screen... ;) the system is like i think a fat is working or a sector map in dos 2.5...

let assume that each char is an item... and the screen is your inventory...now you can see how it is filled up. the routine is simulating dropping items and picking up new items... (by random). the routine is clearing the slots when an item is dropped so a new item can take hold of that slot...

why i am doing that? simply i have tested if this new item management system will work in a smart way (and i think it does...). the old system already implemented is not so clever as it does not support dropping... (uj...what a shame...but to make the story short...it supports dropping but makes the whole process complicated and i am thinking that this FAT approach (i am calling that so... maybe i can fill a patent for that and get rich when a new action role playing game is released by blizz and co... ;)) will make life easier so Miker can have his item dropping finally... :D

inv_queue.zip

Edited by Heaven/TQA

So you are just marking the slot as empty and then search from the start for the first empty slot?

You might already be doing this but...

If you want to reduce the search time for an empty slot, keep an index to the first empty slot.

When you free an item you just test to see if it's index is less than the first free item pointer and if so, set the first item pointer to it.

When you fill a slot you look for the next open slot.

If the index is larger than the inventory size then the inventory is full.

This *should* save a little cpu time but at the cost of larger code.

small update... version 10d... now you can enter a name for your avatar. and in the character info screen your experience points + next level exp boundary + gold is displayed. the name printing has small bug as there is a dummy char at the beginning of your name.

as you can see...still working on the game. ;)

diablo10d.zip

• 4 weeks later...

i am just finishing the 10e build and i am expecting to have it ready this afternoon... i have reorganised code and rewrote the item que so item dropping will be possible... not only picking up...

so you are prepared... ;)

post-528-1175862076_thumb.png

Edited by Heaven/TQA

i am just finishing the 10e build and i am expecting to have it ready this afternoon... i have reorganised code and rewrote the item que so item dropping will be possible... not only picking up...

so you are prepared... ;)

Cool screenshot - I have downloaded Notepad++. How did you get the 6502 syntax highlighting? Did you have to manually enter the opcodes or this there an install pack for this?

Stephen Anderson

Stephen,

i expanded the PC-ASM syntax highlightning with the 6502 opcodes... ok. not the smart way but it works for me... it took me longer to search the net for the syntax file instead of entering the few 6502 commands plus assembler directives... ;)

as soon as i am back on my dev machine i will post the exact way...

i switched from chrimson editor to notepad++ (my polish friends use that editor) and what i really find usefull is the function list on the right side (--> thats why i posted the screenshot... ;)) so you can simply jump to special parts of code... very...very usefull... and you can use following trick:

main functions you are marking like "main:" and inner loops you just leave the ":" after the label name and it will be listed there (and MADS assembler does not care if labels are ending with ":" or not...

stephen, check out the "style configurator"...

OK - thanks. I saw that, but was just curious if there was a faster way of getting the 6502 stuff in there. Not a big deal to enter the opcodes by hand. Thanks for the tips - this looks like a very useful text editor.

Stephen Anderson

ok...ok... its still not perfect but here is the 10e build PAL - debug version (this dropps a lot of weapons and most of them are magical... ;))

what is new?

well... now you can drop weapons... how? in the inventory screen you can mark the item which you want to drop and then press space to drop that item. the "set marker" logic is not perfect yet as it remains on the "correct" slot which depends on the item id... so for example if you have weapon 1,2,3 in your inventory and you are use weapon #3 and drop #2 the green marker still stays on slot #3 after dropping as the ID of that weapon havent changed. you are still using weapon #3 but on screen it is printed in "slot #2"... ;) sorry for confusing but just in case you are wondering...

the dropped weapons are gone so at the moment they are not converted to gold or dropped on the floor. but this could be done later. first i want to get the whole marker issue fixed. "show no mercy...(at the end battle for helms deep)" oh...to get into the mood for coding i am watching parallel two towers... ;) i have to admit that most RPGs are really based on tolkins influence.... ;)

the room bug is not solved yet, same to the "max monster amount per room to kill". this will be in the 10f release...

if you discover strange things just let me know... every comment counts.

diablo10e.zip

post-528-1175957804_thumb.png

post-528-1175957813_thumb.png

post-528-1175957822_thumb.png

post-528-1175957830_thumb.png

post-528-1175957840_thumb.png

Edited by Heaven/TQA