IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on A8?

I had a chance to spend some time with the guys who made Diablo 1 and 2. They used to be Blizzard North, but are now a company called Flagship. My suspicions were confirmed that indeed it was GATEWAY TO APSHAI (and a healthy dose of Rogue) that was the inspiration for their randomly-generated dungeon crawl.

If you have a chance to play GATEWAY TO APSHAI by EPYX I strongly suggest you try it. It is not at all like the Temple of Apshai games, which are very little like Diablo.

It can be had on cart for only $4.99 on eBay right now (no, I'm NOT the one selling it, wise guy).

http://tinyurl.com/6ml5py

-enjoy

Edited by vaylen

As Kaz kicked my ass with his title screen work (really evilish... ;)) I am going back into coding mode...

so... I will rearrange the code basis to become more "multiplatform" and will explore (again) 3d iso plus scrolling.

The only issue what kept me away of scrolling was actually the item generator as the items are stored on "screen coords". so i will implement "world coordinates" and will try to have a linked list for the items. Anybody experience with linked lists? This would enable the player to leave loot on the floor while exploring the tower floors... but not sure what happens when you have f.e. 64 items spread over the floor how long it takes to scan through the list...

Maybe split up the "world" into more managable segments, so there's less checking to do. Tile-size, quarter screen size, whatever?

Have tables for each segment which contain the world co-ords and object description, flags, whatever.

Then, a given table only needs to be looked at if the viewport moves over it.

That system might become a bit memory hungry, though. Another alternative might be some sort of stack structure, where objects can be added and deleted.

Are you planning on having the game as a scroller now - or will it be flipping screens?

I guess that choice would have a large bearing on whatever method you choose.

I had a quick look at the rant - sounds a good idea having "actors" and fixed world objects and changing between the two when needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

ok... still got the source folder... and had a go... in the charbase and softsprite version... haha...hey... its somehow still fun...

puh... even remembered the keys... fire to fight, C for character screen, I for inventory.... and picking up loot with walking over and fire...

c64g.prg sprite10.xex Kaz_Beyond the Evil04.xex beyond3.obx

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

• 7 months later...
On 1/22/2020 at 2:24 AM, Heaven/TQA said:

Not so much work... for first real playable version it’s more like fixing the damned soft sprite bug (ghost trash)

If I remember correctly, it was leaving the sprite data on screen under certain conditions.
It shouldn't be horrible to debug.  It would have to be in the erase code.
An erase is either getting skipped, or it's erasing the wrong location. 
The former might be due to different directional logic, collision, etc...
The latter could be due to erasing the wrong object, or the object's new location rather than the old one.

2 hours ago, JamesD said:

If I remember correctly, it was leaving the sprite data on screen under certain conditions.
It shouldn't be horrible to debug.  It would have to be in the erase code.
An erase is either getting skipped, or it's erasing the wrong location. 
The former might be due to different directional logic, collision, etc...
The latter could be due to erasing the wrong object, or the object's new location rather than the old one.

Yes... and me now several years more experience in assembly ;)