IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on A8?

Ghost, i guess no... he suggests to draw the floor via PM so you can deal with the prio registers?

Actually, what Ghost suggests is worth considering. We could not use columns on the floors though so graphically the design will lose a bit, but if you want to avoid clipping, you don't have too many choices.

still not got it...

maybe someone can draw a dummy just that i get the idea?

at the moment i am going for a complete charbased game in iso with tile checking if it's overlapping. a rough calculation

a map will be stored in gr.9... so 4 bit are used for each tile. these 16 values should be used wisely. the overall map will then take 4k (32 bytes * 128). i guess that 128 x 128 for each dungeon should be good compromise...

but still like the idea of building the map on the fly but first other things...

still not got it...

maybe someone can draw a dummy just that i get the idea?

at the moment i am going for a complete charbased game in iso with tile checking if it's overlapping. a rough calculation

a map will be stored in gr.9... so 4 bit are used for each tile. these 16 values should be used wisely. the overall map will then take 4k (32 bytes * 128). i guess that 128 x 128 for each dungeon should be good compromise...

but still like the idea of building the map on the fly but first other things...

Heaven... Just try as I mentioned above:

Changing the chars for the lava to two playfield colours.

Do NOT use tiles for the floor and use Backround in black.

Then align to depending player and missiles at the center of the screen, until you have some "Circle in an ISO-3D view" (to make it perfect, some dli changes would be needed)

You will get a better impression of it then.

(btw: I'm at home this evening)

So, the "character" sprite is software generated?

Why not put a little AI into the softsprite routine. As an example, say any character value >$70 has priority over our sprite.

Then, in the sprite generation routine, just some extra code which does a compare. If the character to be overlayed is >$70, then the logic changes a bit.

Where normally a softsprite routine does LDA old-data AND character-mask ORA character-data STA new-data, we change the procedure to:

LDA character-data, AND background-mask, ORA background-data, STA new-data.

That flow works but the problem arises if the background data also has data which should be displayed but doesn't have priority over the player. In such a case, the softsprite routine should run twice for that character cell - first pass merges the player with the higher priority BG data, the second pass merges that data with the original BG data.

A bit more work, but not too considerable if it's only a 2x4 character sprite.

Ghost, i guess no... he suggests to draw the floor via PM so you can deal with the prio registers?

Actually, what Ghost suggests is worth considering. We could not use columns on the floors though so graphically the design will lose a bit, but if you want to avoid clipping, you don't have too many choices.

PG..you're partly right :)

If the player sprite walks "behind" a column (In a sub-tile - because the column is placed inside *one* tile)...there is also a clipping problem. But if you define a "bounding box" around the

column tiles (don't let the softsprite go over a column tile) ... it would work as I suggested ( I hope ;)

btw nice graphics !!

Edited by Ghost...

wow... just a stupid question...how can you prefent the lava not to enlite the wooden floor? ;)

That's simple. You go to your favourite hobby shop and buy a good thermal insulation to lay under the floor ;-)

Isolating the acid/toxic waste is much more difficult though :)

Edited by pseudografx

as far as i think about it i will go for the way cybernoid is doing is server based role playing game... but still iso... but if i will go for enemies & items & players charbased than i will not run into masking troubles...

Heaven, if you have an iso-3D character set and map built in Charpad, then I can actually plug this into the server I have today directly.

The display/game engine doesn't care if the screen is ISO or not. All sprites are character based. And I have code for when to not draw the sprites (when they go behind walls, columns, etc). The last thing that I need to code is when the sprites collide with hard object that you cannot move through...

So, if anyone want to draw up some stuff in charpad, then let me know... I'll plug it into the server and see what happens...

For it to work with the greyscale server, then color (12) must be set to dark grey, (11) to green (will be light grey on screen), (0) to black and (1) to white.

post-4398-1150904229_thumb.png

Charpad:

charpad.zip

--C--

PG great work!

have to check the new tiles with the actuall mapper.... stay tuned.

Choose your favourite skin ;-)

post-6830-1150901114_thumb.png

Well... the graphics look nice. But the biggest fault is to make such "linearistic" graphics for a "diablo" style game.

Of course, these are just first drafts. I will make the graphics a bit more "rusty" and "distorted", these examples are just.. well.. examples :-)

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

PG... well done... the chars are defined really really clever... when turning them into char in G2F you see how a clever puzzle your dungeon is... :)

Well I defined them in a clever way so that there is no need to use a lot of them.. I was myself surprised that the floor can only be constructed from one char :-) If you need some more special chars or junctions of different tiles, let me know.

guys, it's really not as easy as i thought but still doable... i am just playing around with the mapper which will be now multipass...

we have to define some rules how the mapper draws the map and in a second pass we will finish and make the dungeon nicer. but a complete random dungeon map (the bitmap which we will take to draw the tile map) seems at the moment too chaotic... except for using my floor tile + lava... but i want to have a nicer map...

PG has done some nice tiles which are compact in usage of the font... (attachted the atari native font for his map). at the moment it uses 64 chars in total...

so... what could some basic rules (remember...we want an assembler routine at the end... ;)) for the level generator which the mapper will then turn into an iso tilemap... the finisher would be make the dungeon looking nicer...

maybe its better not to take the base tile map which the mapper generates but the tile map instead? remember that the tile map is made by the level generator...

damned... now i realise how much thinking needs such a game... and now i appreciate seven cities of gold and his world generator... :)

maybe we have to use larger tile sets which are all constructed out of 4x2 tile subsets... i dont know...

any further ideas very much appreciated... i dont mind if you post a pc demo with written C prototype... i just need a direction...

level1.zip

What the heck happened to Graph2fnt. It seems that all good features are gone....

To the topic.

You wanted a cheap mockup.... here it is ;-)

It's a simple one.... Because G2F still misses features like GPRIOR.... (though I didn't find how to use the char inversion now)

To have different game features displayed, here the example.

The grey zone can shrink or expand with the "mystical" enlightenment ;-)

The enemies only are viewable in the grey zone.

Particular for the "Hero" range, I'd appreciate a colour kernal. Since it's charmovement over all, the CPU-time could be "wasted".

The benefit would be to have the "ability changes" visuable.

So "our Hero" now has a green helmet of wisdom, the brown cape of magic, a standard trouser and the bright sword of the slayer .... :ponder: ;)

Well. As written above: It's a cheap mockup and the screen can look even more colourful...

If you want, you may imagine two or three more colours for the scene and when flashing a spell, one player moves over the playfield with GPRIOR colours (changing its shape in a sparkling formation)

Well, if there is more cpu time available, why not putting some more FX in?