IGNORED

Willem Enhanced Programmer

seventh sage

I've heard that it's possible to write to 2732 and 2716 chips with this, but I'm having trouble doing so.

Whenever I try to 'blank check' the EPROM, I always get the error, "Device is NOT Empty ($000000)"

If I skip checking and verifying, and just try to load a .bin onto the EPROM, it looks like it gets to 100%, but then I get an error message "Error at 0x000000 Chip = 0x00 buffer = 0xD8"

Has anyone had any luck with this? (I have searched and read the other posts, but they have not helped)

Any recommendations (beside buying another programmer) or insight? Bear in mind I'm basically just a hack (I'm not familiar with schematics) so rewiring may be beyond my expertise.

---

My settings:

using the 0.97ja version program

dip switches set from 1 to 12 - 000 000 111 000 (default for 2732)

tWP: 1.2mS (default for 2732)

tWC: 50uS (default for 2732)

Edited by seventh sage

I've heard that it's possible to write to 2732 and 2716 chips with this, but I'm having trouble doing so.

Whenever I try to 'blank check' the EPROM, I always get the error, "Device is NOT Empty ($000000)"

Are you using new EPROMS? If not, bear in mind that EPROMs need to be erased with ultraviolet light.

Are you using new EPROMS? If not, bear in mind that EPROMs need to be erased with ultraviolet light.

Yes, I've erased them, and went through the whole procedure up to the point where I'm stuck now, actually transferring the binary to the EPROM.

Yes, I've erased them, and went through the whole procedure up to the point where I'm stuck now, actually transferring the binary to the EPROM.

I don't know about settings on the Willem, but assuming they are correct: if the EPROMs are not blank-checking, then they are NOT erased.

It's possible that your eraser is not working or something.

Maybe, as per above you need the dual power version of the willem programmer.. some chips will only program with a higher power rating, which the USB connection simply cannot provide.

Its also possible that your DIP switches are set incorrectly, do you have the programming software set to the correct diagram? I know that when my DIP switches were set incorrectly for chips, it says the same message you're getting.. hope this helps in some way..

Yeah...after extraneous research, it looks like the USB-power is indeed the main problem.

I'm just going to buy a better programmer and avoid these cheap knock-offs.

I bought a new programmer last year to replace an ancient unit that used an 8-bit ISA card, DOS software and wouldn't operate on anything newer than a slow 486.

I initially was going to buy a Willem, but I got scared off by horror stories and the fact that it doesn't program PLD's. I ended up going with a Xeltek. It's wasn't too cheap and the software and docs are peppered with Engrish, but it works great and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

I ended up going with a Xeltek. It's wasn't too cheap and the software and docs are peppered with Engrish, but it works great and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Which one did you get? I use a Xeltek SuperPro-LX as well as a Needham's EMP10.

I ended up going with a Xeltek. It's wasn't too cheap and the software and docs are peppered with Engrish, but it works great and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

That's the same one I have. It seems to be well-designed - I've accidentally specified the wrong device a few times and once accidentally put a chip in backwards :dunce: and it didn't damage anything. Also, I haven't yet come across a device that it doesn't support.

It also does things I didn't anticipate, like detect and test 74xx chips and full R/W tests of SRAM chips.

That's the same one I have. It seems to be well-designed - I've accidentally specified the wrong device a few times and once accidentally put a chip in backwards :dunce: and it didn't damage anything. Also, I haven't yet come across a device that it doesn't support.

It also does things I didn't anticipate, like detect and test 74xx chips and full R/W tests of SRAM chips.

Yeah, those things are built like tanks. I actually drove to their company when I bought it, it was just 3 oriental guys in a tiny little office, they were actually making them there. LOL

I am also very very happy with mine. Of course for most tinkerers, these are a bit overkill and cost too much.

Yeah...after extraneous research, it looks like the USB-power is indeed the main problem.

I'm just going to buy a better programmer and avoid these cheap knock-offs.

I have this problem with the Dual Powered one. I have bought three 27c256 chips from the AA store. I get a similar error you get. I can burn 2716, 2732, 27128 with no problem. I will have to get a cord and try to plug it into my wall out let.

By the way. From what I have read the Enhanced Willem will NOT program 2716 or 2732 eproms.

Would any of you guys with working programmers be willing to burn a 2732 for me if I email my .bin and send some $$$ for the eprom. I've given up on my Willem piece of %#$! and don't really want to spend more cash on another programmer.

Send me the rom and I will see if I can burn it with my spare 2732. If it works, we can talk.