IGNORED

New Pitfall! Record Holder?

Jacob Rose

I was surprised not to see this posted here already:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=19&id=1355

Daniel Vignes Breaks "Fastest Time" on "Perfect" Pitfall

Daniel Vignes was looking for a title to go for that deemed respect. He didn't have to look far before Pitfall caught his eye, a title everyone knew.

Daniel's path to Pitfall "perfection" started just a couple months ago when he started playing Pitfall seriously, a game he played as a kid.

Little did Daniel know that hours of practice where about to pay off as he started recording and powered on his Atari console. A run that would make the gaming community sit up and take notice.

Daniel not only beat the the prevous World Record, He shattered it!

And in doing so, he brings the "Fastest Perfect Game" back to the US.

Edited by Jacob Rose

Yeah, if you look at the original thread, we're really trying to make emu's unacceptable over there. Lopes' record was 1:06 remaining. This new record by Vignes is 1:28 remaining. Man, that is some record. Lopes' pattern is a bit different then the one used in the map here on Atari Age. Vignes returns to the original pattern, I believe. Rogers will have his work cut out for him to exceed this score. I don't know if he's even tried for it yet.

Edited by D.Yancey

Why not an emulator as long as no cheats were used? I can see controller variations being an issue, but then do we insist that only original 2600 sticks be used? Does it count if you play the Gemini or Colecovision expansion model. It's tough to draw the line.

This is the same guy who holds the record for Custer's Revenge. I can't even imagine wanting that record.

Edited by NovaXpress

Why not an emulator as long as no cheats were used? I can see controller variations being an issue, but then do we insist that only original 2600 sticks be used? Does it count if you play the Gemini or Colecovision expansion model. It's tough to draw the line.

This is the same guy who holds the record for Custer's Revenge. I can't even imagine wanting that record.

If you read that thread over on TG, there are about 7-8 pages on that emu debate. I don't feel like typing it all again. All the issues you just mentioned came up too. See for yourself:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtop...7320&highlight=

Here's a nice thread over on Digital Press, so you can see what most people seem to think about emu scores counting equally as a world record right next to a console score. I think they should be tracked separately like MAME VS. Arcade.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86006

Edited by D.Yancey

I did Custers Revenge because I thought having that title would be funny, I haven't played it since I did that run.

Congrats on the new Pitfall! record gameprogram! That is unreal!

You sure put an end to my little party, I sent in a tape last week with a time of 1:15 remaining, but using a different pattern than you. Looks like it's back to the jungle for me! :cool:

I did Custers Revenge because I thought having that title would be funny, I haven't played it since I did that run.

Congrats on the new Pitfall! record gameprogram! That is unreal!

You sure put an end to my little party, I sent in a tape last week with a time of 1:15 remaining, but using a different pattern than you. Looks like it's back to the jungle for me! :cool:

Thanks!

I've moved onto the next game (hoping I can avoid playing Pitfall! for at least a while)

The story was slashdotted yesterday and it took me down and TG down,

here is a mirrored link to the last few seconds of the run made humorous

http://www.mirrordot.org/media/118a002a729...l128Dvignes.wmv

Just curious...what SHOULD the rules be for records? Original Atari console with original joystick? (I can't imagine anybody doing well, say, on The Activision Decathlon in the 1500 Meters without using a Vectrex controller!) What about monitor options?? Seriously, any little thing can have an effect on how one plays the game. Heck, my Ms. Pac-Man games were always better if I muted the volume!

If emulators don't count, then perhaps, say, playing Pitfall! on a VCS adapter on a Colecovision shouldn't count...stuff like that....

Just curious...what SHOULD the rules be for records? Original Atari console with original joystick? (I can't imagine anybody doing well, say, on The Activision Decathlon in the 1500 Meters without using a Vectrex controller!) What about monitor options?? Seriously, any little thing can have an effect on how one plays the game. Heck, my Ms. Pac-Man games were always better if I muted the volume!

If emulators don't count, then perhaps, say, playing Pitfall! on a VCS adapter on a Colecovision shouldn't count...stuff like that....

Haven't read the debate, but IMHO there are too many things that can be affected through emulation. No emulation is perfect, and if for example the timer runs slower on certain emulators, then you are going to have more time remaining on Pitfall at the end. Then there is the possibility of hacking an emulator to give you exactly those differences on purpose...

Choice of joystick (as long as it doesn't somehow hijack the programming), choice of monitor, even choice of console should be irrelevant. But once you remove the programming from its "natural" environment, there are too many things that can go "wrong" for it to be a reliable platform for gauging records.

~G

Haven't read the debate, but IMHO there are too many things that can be affected through emulation. No emulation is perfect, and if for example the timer runs slower on certain emulators, then you are going to have more time remaining on Pitfall at the end. Then there is the possibility of hacking an emulator to give you exactly those differences on purpose...

Choice of joystick (as long as it doesn't somehow hijack the programming), choice of monitor, even choice of console should be irrelevant. But once you remove the programming from its "natural" environment, there are too many things that can go "wrong" for it to be a reliable platform for gauging records.

~G

Yeah I don't agree with emulation being tracked along side consoles either :roll:

...if for example the timer runs slower on certain emulators, then you are going to have more time remaining on Pitfall at the end.

No, that can't happen here. Other consoles maybe, but not the 2600. The worst thing that might happen is, that the whole game runs slower (including the timer). But everything will always stay in sync 100%.

For the benefit of the guys here at Atari Age: duncantoml is a referee at Twin Galaxies. He verified the video of the 1:28 perfect Pitfall. He is the same Tom Duncan that now holds 1600+ records of his own.

This is the only part of the video that has been made public, to my knowledge.

http://www.mirrordot.org/media/118a002a729...l128Dvignes.wmv

This link is working just as I post it:

http://www.mirrordot.org/media/118a002a729...128Dvignes.wmv)

edit: strangely, this link doesn't seem to work when I paste it into this thread. There is a link in this thread at Twin Galaxies that is working properly. Try here:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7441

Edited by D.Yancey