IGNORED

New Pitfall! Record Holder?

Jacob Rose

...if for example the timer runs slower on certain emulators, then you are going to have more time remaining on Pitfall at the end.

No, that can't happen here. Other consoles maybe, but not the 2600. The worst thing that might happen is, that the whole game runs slower (including the timer). But everything will always stay in sync 100%.

Then that right there is an advantage. You would be able to "time" your jumps better if the whole process was moving slower, thus giving you the advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I think that emulators are great, and hacks even better. I haven't played your hack of Pitfall! but it sounds like you did a great job. I think if games can be made better for the sake of gameplay (as many Adventure hacks and PacMan hacks have proven) then I'm all for it.

But when it comes to "official" records, it should be on the console only, or at least have a separate category for emulator/hack records.

~G

Then that right there is an advantage. You would be able to "time" your jumps better if the whole process was moving slower, thus giving you the advantage.

Yup, there is an advantage.

So how about PAL carts? At least they should have their own category then too (e.g. my own Starmaster records).

I haven't played your hack of Pitfall! but it sounds like you did a great job.

Actually my Pitfall! hack is not for playing, but solely for watching. ;)

So how about PAL carts? At least they should have their own category then too (e.g. my own Starmaster records).

Again, I don't know all the ins and outs tech-wise, but I suppose if PAL and NTSC have different gameplay, then they should.

The only thing I'm advocating in this debate is that records and record attempts should all exist on the same level playing field. Otherwise, how can you gauge "who is better" if the variables are different for everyone?

But hey, I've never been a record holder (though I may have come close in Space Invaders in the day -- rolled the counter I think about six times and was playing for hours... unfortunately no way to prove it though!) and I don't think I ever will be now. For me, this debate is purely hypothetical. I suppose the ones who really should be sorting out the "rules" are those who have records to defend or defeat!

~G

But hey, I've never been a record holder (though I may have come close in Space Invaders in the day -- rolled the counter I think about six times and was playing for hours...

Just thought I'd mention that the counter rolls at 10k and the current record is in the almost 500k range.. so... :)

But hey, I've never been a record holder (though I may have come close in Space Invaders in the day -- rolled the counter I think about six times and was playing for hours...

Just thought I'd mention that the counter rolls at 10k and the current record is in the almost 500k range.. so... :)

Ah, yes but this was back when it first came out -- still doubtful but you never know. It always puzzled me why they ended the counter at 10,000 instead of adding a measely couple more zeros...

~G