IGNORED

New MGC Homebrew Releases Now Available

Albert

mgc.gifWe've returned from the 2006 Midwest Gaming Classic, where we introduced several new homebrew games for the Atari 2600 and ColecoVision! We've now added these games to our online store so you can purchase them if you weren't able to attend the show. The new games are:

Please follow the links above for complete information about each game, including pictures and screenshots.

AStar:

2600_AStar_2.jpg

Conquest of Mars:

2600_ConquestOfMars_2.jpg

Rainbow Invaders:

2600_RainbowInvaders_2.jpg

Wolfenstein VCS: The Next Mission:

2600_Wolfenstein_2.jpg

Cosmo Fighter 2:

CV_CosmoFighterTwo_3.jpg

Cosmo Fighter 3:

CV_CosmoFighterThree_3.jpg

..Al

I don't support anything the people who made Wolfenstein 2600 make after what happened with Wolfenstein 2600 initially, the mishap with everyone who wanted to order and not getting any answers back because the guy/s were "missing" for awhile. Then when they finally showed up totally forgot some people (me one of them) but by that time I didn't even want it anymore.

I don't support anything the people who made Wolfenstein 2600 make after what happened with Wolfenstein 2600 initially, the mishap with everyone who wanted to order and not getting any answers back because the guy/s were "missing" for awhile. Then when they finally showed up totally forgot some people (me one of them) but by that time I didn't even want it anymore.

Suit yourself. You are missing out on a great game.

Since several people have been involved in this game's concept, programming, production, distribution, and now there are 2 versions of the game with more people involved, I don't know who you are pointing "blame" at.

I vote the past of Wolfenstein 2600 be left in the past, before this public topic turns into a flame war. :|

I wouldn't hold anyone but Packrat Games accountable for the mess of the previous Wolfenstein fiasco. I'm sure the people who actually worked to create the game were just as upset by that whole mess as the customers were, which is likely why they went to AtariAge for distribution this time.

Just downloaded Conquest of Mars. Wow! :-o I forgot I was playing the 2600 for a while.

Me too. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I completey suck at the 2nd part. Even multiple continues didn't help. Any strategy hints?

Use the save and load state features in the Stella emulator - I totally suck too... :P

You mean the second part of the first cavern? Or the second cavern (where the laser gates are)?

If you mean the rockets in the first cavern, stay high and to the right for the most part. Near the end you'll need to move towards the center, then back to the right. Keep firing and dodging. It just takes time to figure out a pattern to go through.

I can't get through the laser gates yet.

You mean the second part of the first cavern? Or the second cavern (where the laser gates are)?

I didn't even know that there is a 2nd cavern. ;)

If you mean the rockets in the first cavern, stay high and to the right for the most part. Near the end you'll need to move towards the center, then back to the right. Keep firing and dodging. It just takes time to figure out a pattern to go through.

Thanks. I always tried it at the left.

Just imagine the pattern would be random! :evil:

I downloaded Conquest of Mars too. I like it quite a bit so far. It really makes me wonder why Atari didn't make a port of Caverns of Mars for the 2600 back in the day.

Last I tried, the Astar download link at Atari Age doesn't work. I downloaded it from the minigame contest page and I was quite impressed by it, though. Very fun game.

The latest demo I tried of Wolfenstien: The Next Mission was awesome too. I love Venture and this is one amazing hack.

I also downloaded Rainbow Invaders. It's neat take on Space Invaders with power ups. I like how it has both good and bad power ups. I like the final version much better than the earlier build. I like the choice of difficulty and the better balance of power ups.

All of these games are potential purchases for me, but the hard part is choosing which one to get. Not to mention the other cool homebrews available like Seawolf, Fall Down, Gunfight, Oystron, or Thrust+ Platinum.

Edited by BrianC

Last I tried, the Astar download link at Atari Age doesn't work. I downloaded it from the minigame contest page and I was quite impressed by it, though. Very fun game.

I'm waiting for permission from Aaron Curtis to put the final version of the binary up in our database. In the meantime, you can grab the last publicly posted version here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...dpost&p=1013599

..Al

UPDATE:

Thanks to Nathan's tips (and some heavy cheating) I managed to get down to the maze section. Unfortunately there seems to be a serious bug there, because sometimes I die without reason. Or did I miss something?

:!: I noticed this as well, as it happened in two areas of the maze. Somehow I managed to get through because I was cheating with the Stella emulator save and load states.

Are you using the binary on real hardware, or an emulator? Albert, is the binary in the AtariAge database the final version? Is this a bug? :? Ack! I already ordered a cart!

***Edit***

NOTE: Bug has been fixed for the AtariAge cart release.

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by atwwong

Are you using the binary on real hardware, or an emulator?

:idea: latest z26 Windows

(I won't be able to make it that far on real hardware soon :))

I also noticed that something might be wrong when returning from a maze cavern. After dying, you don't start from the bottom but from below the maze and the timer isn't resetted. Since the time is running out you have no chance to make it to the surface then and always loose at least a 2nd life.

UPDATE:

Thanks to Nathan's tips (and some heavy cheating) I managed to get down to the maze section. Unfortunately there seems to be a serious bug there, because sometimes I die without reason. Or did I miss something?

:!: I noticed this as well, as it happened in two areas of the maze. Somehow I managed to get through because I was cheating with the Stella emulator save and load states.

Are you using the binary on real hardware, or an emulator? Albert, is the binary in the AtariAge database the final version? Is this a bug? :? Ack! I already ordered a cart!

Hi there,

I've done extensive testing with this game and have never seen this behavior. Can you provide screenshots or a more detailed description of when and where this happens? Are you on a particular level when it happens? (ie. # of flags) Are the difficultly switches on or off? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

I also noticed that something might be wrong when returning from a maze cavern. After dying, you don't start from the bottom but from below the maze and the timer isn't resetted. Since the time is running out you have no chance to make it to the surface then and always loose at least a 2nd life.
It has been over a decade since I last played the original, but I believe the timer has never reset.

It has been over a decade since I last played the original, but I believe the timer has never reset.

I just learned that from a PM from John.

Still it's IMO a design flaw which I wouldn't try to clone 1:1. Some addtional time for each new life would sure help here.

UPDATE:

As for the apparent bug, I haven't seen it myself, but I can try to test it on hardware if you can provide details on how to make it happen. It wasn't from running out of fuel, was it?