IGNORED

Commodore 128 question.

My god! The C-128 is one of the BEST computers in the history of computers! Everyone should have one of these in my opinion... not only does it run every piece of C-64 software that I've been able to find, but in C-128 mode, it improves on everything that ever made the C-64 good!

You can get an 80-column display finally! This makes things like decent terminal emulation and decent desktop publishing possible (Unfortunately, you can't do sprites in 80 column mode... that would have been killer!). I highly recommend you get yourself a 1902 monitor to take advantage of this feature though.

If you get yourself a 1571 disk drive, you can finally read double sided disks... this is totally awesome, and should have been done a long time ago... of course, it's only useful to C-128 mode. Another change to the C-128 is that disks are now the primary medium, so when you hit Shift+Run/Stop, it will automatically load the first program on disk (as opposed to the C-64 trying to load from the tape).

The C-128 also uses Basic 7.0 instead of 2.0... so there's a ton of new commands in case you like programming in Basic (I used to). There's a built-in machine language monitor in case you like programming in assembly (I do now). There's also CP/M mode if that's your thing (I was never big into it, but it's there if you want).

The only thing better than the C-128 is the C-128D... which is the same thing, but with a desktop case and a detachable hard drive :)

Damn, there's absolutely NOTHING bad about this computer!

... Oh, and try running Ultima 5 on the C-128... you'll get full music! Thank YOU extra ram!

--Zero

I picked up a 128D for A$2 about 9 months ago. It worked for about 2 hours before the power supply died :(

I've got a working C64, but I don't have anywhere to set it up. I picked up the "Freeze Machine" cart for A$5 a while back, boxed, but I haven't had a chance to try it.

I've got 10 console games setup in my room, but there isn't room in any of the spots for a keyboard. Don't have my Amiga 500 setup either. And my XEGS is setup san-keyboard.