IGNORED

LOGO Programming cartridge

calfranklin

Its a language which evolved, early on it was designed to give commands to a turtle, a robot with a pen which could draw lines and rotate through angles, and move.

In more recent times, it is used as an introductory language and the turtle is represented on-screen rather than being a machine.

With fairly simple programming you can get spirograph like designs.

I had a LOGO cart back in those days, not sure if I still do. Anyway, although the programming to make those turtles draw lines or arcs is easy (especially if you have advanced math skills) there's really not much else to do with it. :|

note: the turtles move really slow

Edited by geosteve

Its a language which evolved, early on it was designed to give commands to a turtle, a robot with a pen which could draw lines and rotate through angles, and move.

In more recent times, it is used as an introductory language and the turtle is represented on-screen rather than being a machine.

See Wikipedia Entry on Logo Programming Language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_programming_language

Logo was designed for Kids to easy learn Programming. However, it is a misconception that Logo is a "toy" language. Logo inhereits some powerful concepts from the Lisp Programming Language, and is much more powerful than for example Basic. It supports Lists as native datatypes, and Logo Programs are stored in Lists can be manipulated from the Program itself.

For serious learning Logo, I recommend the Books of Brian Harvey

"Computer Science Logo Style", http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/

We have currently a Logo Course in the ABBUC Magazine (in german)

The only drawback of Atari Logo is that it can only use 48K, which is not much for Logo (Interpreter with Grabage Collection).

There are negotiations (from ABBUC) underway to get Atari Logo free, maybe Open Source it or make it available again including documentation, and improve it to use also extended memory. I will post more on this when new info is available.

Best regards

Carsten

• Like 1

I had a LOGO cart back in those days, not sure if I still do. Anyway, although the programming to make those turtles draw lines or arcs is easy (especially if you have advanced math skills) there's really not much else to do with it. :|

note: the turtles move really slow

Logo is often (wrongly) reduced to turtle graphics. There is much more in Logo than turtle graphics. Unfortunatly, because Logo was used in undergraduate schools to teach programming, using turtle graphics, most books only cover turtle graphics, and not the "functional programming" and "lisp style powerfull datatypes" programming that is possible in Logo.

I see, I need to translate some parts of our Logo Course to english and post it, to open your eyes. In fact, Logo is one of the most powerful Programming Languages we have on the Atari. It's true, as an interpreter it's not for high-speed arcade style games, but unchallenged when working with complex data.

Best regards

Carsten

• Like 2

See Wikipedia Entry on Logo Programming Language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_programming_language

Logo was designed for Kids to easy learn Programming. However, it is a misconception that Logo is a "toy" language. Logo inhereits some powerful concepts from the Lisp Programming Language, and is much more powerful than for example Basic. It supports Lists as native datatypes, and Logo Programs are stored in Lists can be manipulated from the Program itself.

For serious learning Logo, I recommend the Books of Brian Harvey

"Computer Science Logo Style", http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/

We have currently a Logo Course in the ABBUC Magazine (in german)

The only drawback of Atari Logo is that it can only use 48K, which is not much for Logo (Interpreter with Grabage Collection).

There are negotiations (from ABBUC) underway to get Atari Logo free, maybe Open Source it or make it available again including documentation, and improve it to use also extended memory. I will post more on this when new info is available.

Best regards

Carsten

Thanks to all for info on LOGO. Cal

• 8 years later...

I've always wanted to learn LOGO myself, but haven't ever picked up the cart.

That being said, all the original Atari documentation has been scanned and is online at AtariMania ...

Atari_LOGO_Introduction_to_Programming_Through_Turtle_Graphics.pdf

Atari_LOGO_Quick_Reference_Guide.pdf

Atari_LOGO_Reference_Manual.pdf

@Larry: I'm no Logo expert but I picked it to teach my son programming because user developed functions and procedures can be called directly from the command prompt allowing the developer to interactively build and develop their programs. You can separate concerns very easily thereby allowing a more "agile" approach to problem solving. Also, no line numbers and it has a full screen editor. Additionally, it has very good support for player missile graphics (turtle graphics can be redefined) including collision detection between players and background graphics.

Performance is okay. No where near assembly, of course, but respectable considering it is a LISP variant running with a full garbage collector in 48k of RAM on a 1.7 MHz machine :).

I can post a few short code examples if you are still interested.

I've always wanted to learn LOGO myself, but haven't ever picked up the cart.

That being said, all the original Atari documentation has been scanned and is online at AtariMania ...

Atari_LOGO_Introduction_to_Programming_Through_Turtle_Graphics.pdf

Atari_LOGO_Quick_Reference_Guide.pdf

Atari_LOGO_Reference_Manual.pdf

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes. It's very special LISP.

But being so exclusive, Atari LOGO can decide ANOTHER problems!

FE Graphically decide The Problem of 3 Jars.

Atari helps us in it's manner.

When the collision occured (colors changing) then we have a flag for changing direction.

simply the best.

Playing with LISP I even couldn't run LOGO's emulator. :)

PS Google has changed. :(

I even couldn't find trilinear plot of billiard method of transfusion...

Best regards

Carsten

Any updates on this, Carsten? I've been very interested in using Atari LOGO as an introductory programming tool, and I'd love to know if an improved version with expanded memory support has been created.

Any updates on this, Carsten? I've been very interested in using Atari LOGO as an introductory programming tool, and I'd love to know if an improved version with expanded memory support has been created.

Well, no. I was in contact with Mr. Seymour Papert (or his office) about Atari Logo back in Summer 2006. Then Mr. Papert had a terrible accident in December 2006 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Papert#Accident_in_Hanoi) and was unavailable, and I did not follow up. Not sure if I would like to bother him again with the question.

• Like 1

Well, no. I was in contact with Mr. Seymour Papert (or his office) about Atari Logo back in Summer 2006. Then Mr. Papert had a terrible accident in December 2006 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Papert#Accident_in_Hanoi) and was unavailable, and I did not follow up. Not sure if I would like to bother him again with the question.

Thanks! I had heard of Papert's accident, and I'm glad he seems to be recovering. I wonder how much his office would be able to help with Atari LOGO; if I remember correctly, the Atari version was developed by LCSI, so they'd probably be the ones to contact if you're looking for the original Atari sources.

Thanks! I had heard of Papert's accident, and I'm glad he seems to be recovering. I wonder how much his office would be able to help with Atari LOGO; if I remember correctly, the Atari version was developed by LCSI, so they'd probably be the ones to contact if you're looking for the original Atari sources.

It has been almost 10 years since I've worked on this, as far as I remember I've contacted LCSI first and they connected me with Mr. Papert, as they didn't had any traces of Atari Logo (at the time). It might be worth a try to start the process again with contacting LCSI, or Cynthia Solomon ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_Solomon).