IGNORED

To ALL AtariAgers...would you be interested in doing this?

Sayton

Okay, here's the deal. I have a Xbox 360. For those of you who don't know, each game you buy has an achievements list.

What this is, is a list of things you can do or whatever when playing the game. You get achievement points which stay permenately on your profile. All these points are for are bragging rights of what you've accomplished.

Most games you buy have a total of 1,000 achievement points you can get. Some have less. Xbox Live arcade games have a total of 200. To better understand, let me show an example with Condemned: Criminal Origins (Note I don't know the point value so I'll just make up a number)

Complete Level 1 : 10 points

Find all 6 birds in level 1 : 15 points

Beat the game using only melee weapons : 25 points

Sometimes they even give details as to what the achievement means or whatever (For complete level 1, it would say like "successfully complete level 1"). That's it.

So I began thinking: Why not do this for Atari 2600 games? In my opinion, it would be something fun to do, and give reason to go back to a certain game to try for just one more achievement. Granted, it would take a very long time to make a list for every 2600 game. Also note, homebrews wouldn't be allowed.

To be honest, though, I don't know if every game would get a list. To me, I don't think playing a game on a ROM would be fair. Some people don't like the use of emulators/roms and probably wouldn't find it fair.

Basically, if enough people were interested, I'd like to make a thing like the high score club. I would make topics of games (like Berzerk would have a topic, Space Invaders would have one, etc). Then, people could come on there and give their ideas of what achievements they think should be on the list and a point value. Then, after a few days, I'd go through, pick certain ones or maybe even take a vote as to which ones would go on the list. Then, for a final post, the achievement list would be made listing each achievement and their point value.

If anyone is interested in this I would like to first start out with common games that most of us would have on here. That way, enough people could get started on a few games and try to get achievement points. This isn't a contest whatsoever, it's just something fun for you to try and do on your own. However, it would be your responsibility as to which achievements you got on what games. And if we did this, PLEASE BE HONEST!

So if anyones interested, let me know your thoughts. Also, what would be a nice point value? I don't want some games to be worth hundreds more than others...wouldn't be fair I guess. Some games would have more achievements to do than others...I understand this. Games like Space Invaders that have 112 different variations....I don't think every variation could be used on achievements. To much time.

Anyways, give me your thoughts on this and we'll go from there. Hopefully some people will like this idea, but if no one really wants to do this, well hey, it was a cool idea in my opinion!

About the homebrews...yes.

Yes, because it wouldn't be fair that such limited games (like holiday carts and whathaveya) could only be played by some people. Also, and when I say this I am in no way bashing homebrews, but I'd prefer to keep it to licensed games. Just like twingalaxies uses official games only, that's what I'd like to do (unless there is a high enough demand, we could make a special homebrew list, which could possibly be seperated from the official list....we'll see).

I also feel in a sense some games like Quadrun may never get a list of its own. Like I said, I'm out to first get the most common games that way most if not everyone on here will have a chance to get some points. Eventually we can get to some harder to find games. Seeing as how my collection is only about 116 right now, I'm going to rely upon other AtariAgers for help on games I don't have or haven't played when it comes to achievements.

Something else I thought about. Say we get a list for a game....why stop the topic there? After the list is released, why not continue discussion on that thread, some could tell what achievements they got, and others could ask how to get a certain one or whatever? So if someone got all the achievements for a hard game, I'm sure he/she would be getting a lot of questions as to how they did it and strategies.

Btw, something else I'd like to ask....if we get this up, what do we call it (as in, what do we call the achievements....Atari Achievements?). Let me know what you think it should be called as well.

Homebrews are for the most part WAY better than most "legal" or "legit" or "licensed" games from the 80's. Hell so that means about 30 percent of the "released" games from the 80's don't count cause those about 30 percent of the "releases" sure as shit didn't give one red cent of royality or sale profit VIA any type of license fee to Atari back in the day.

I would not be intrested at all if NEW, yes the proper word is NEW atari games are not included. IMO It's just down right RUDE not to include NEW games.

About the homebrews...yes.

Yes, because it wouldn't be fair that such limited games (like holiday carts and whathaveya) could only be played by some people. Also, and when I say this I am in no way bashing homebrews, but I'd prefer to keep it to licensed games. Just like twingalaxies uses official games only, that's what I'd like to do (unless there is a high enough demand, we could make a special homebrew list, which could possibly be seperated from the official list....we'll see).

Sorry, but that's completely wrong. TG accepts homebrew titles. I just looked up Thrust, and it's there! So your argument is bogus.

Still, there are more copies of Thrust out there than a lot of rare "official" titles. Separating the two on that criteria makes no sense.

Aw man it sounds like I've pissed off alot of people already. Guess this isn't going to get anywhere then :(

Btw, sorry about the TG thing...I seriously thought they didn't accept homebrews...but I had to make it quick cause I had to get ready for work so I didn't get to research right then. Sorry.

Anyways, I just figured maybe for some odd reason it'd be more fun to play the games on the system and not rom. But if this does get back some popularity, I guess homebrews as well as roms can be included. Does this also include prototypes then?

Sorry about pissing you all off. I didn't mean to do it. Trust me when I say this that I sometimes say things (or in this case "write") that are supposed to mean different or it just comes out wrong period and people catch it the wrong way. I'll try to watch what I say/type on here to try and avoid from making some of you mad again. Again, my apologies.

Edited by Sayton

It's actually a great idea. The achievements on 360 games are brilliant IMO. They keep you playing a game long after you would have normally put it on the shelf. I honestly can't decide what game to play on the 360 when I get home because they all have that one next goal I want to get. (Except Oblivion because I have em all...but that game is so awesome I still play anyways)

The concept is popular enough that Microsofts rival is going to try to implement the exact same idea. Thing is, it's not really practical on the 2600. The 360 has the achievements built into the game and once unlocked it, like say get 100 headshots in Far Cry...it automatically updates your online profile and game score for everyone to see.

With the 2600 you'd have to do it on the honor system...and someone would have to be responsible for manually updating a list of achievements for each person that wanted to participate. Not a bad idea... Just wouldn't work out as well as the Live gamertag setup.

It's actually a great idea. The achievements on 360 games are brilliant IMO. They keep you playing a game long after you would have normally put it on the shelf. I honestly can't decide what game to play on the 360 when I get home because they all have that one next goal I want to get. (Except Oblivion because I have em all...but that game is so awesome I still play anyways)

The concept is popular enough that Microsofts rival is going to try to implement the exact same idea. Thing is, it's not really practical on the 2600. The 360 has the achievements built into the game and once unlocked it, like say get 100 headshots in Far Cry...it automatically updates your online profile and game score for everyone to see.

With the 2600 you'd have to do it on the honor system...and someone would have to be responsible for manually updating a list of achievements for each person that wanted to participate. Not a bad idea... Just wouldn't work out as well as the Live gamertag setup.

No problem -- just use the Atari Webserver. I believe the cartridge has been out for some time now. Don't know the capacity, but since it is a web server, it must be huge...

cartscan1.jpg

Read all about it...

http://www.humanclock.com/atariserver.php

~G

I think this is a very intriguing idea and I'm surprised by the negative responses to it.

Perhaps the HSC could be restructured around this model. Instead of a single game played during just one week, players could play any game they wanted, any time they wanted. Actually, during it's most recent hiatus, many players were lobbying for the HSC to rebuild around just this type of framework. If this idea was integrated into the HSC, I think it would help to draw more players. And that's something the HSC desperately needs to do.

Edited by Christophero Sly

Thanks again for more responses.

I figured one way to do the achievements is I could check everyday or so and see who did what and have a topic dedicated to a persons score (actually it includes everyone but you get what I'm saying hopefully).

Another way I thought of is doing it like that, however, wait till the end of the day and when you're done, IM me your achievements and we could go that way.

I'm not sure how I could do it exactly, but whatever. Right now we're still in the process of trying to get this started, hopefully.

Again, I appreciate everyones opinion and suggestions.

The idea of special goals to achieve reminds me of Rovin's book "The Complete Guide to Conquering Video Games." After each game review, he suggests alternate ways to play the game-- see who can reach certain goals the quickest, etc. An interesting idea even if I didn't follow the suggestions when I was a kid.

Ha! I have that book too - it's really funny. It suggests things like "try playing your favorite game standing backward and looking in a mirror" or "see how fast you can die" etc.

I haven't looked at it for awhile, but I believe it also had "warm up" exercises and eye/hand co-ordination exercises in the first chapter. Too funny.