IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 9: Battlezone

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Battlezone and compare scores, feel free to do so, but they will not be added to the list.

The year is 1999, and the nations of the earth have declared a world-wide peace plan. But there is a problem with the proposed truce. A council of military commanders has unleashed battalions of automated weapons into the countryside. These aerial fighters, flying saucers, tanks, and supertanks will turn the world into a lifeless landscape unless you can stop them.

Luckily, you've discovered an old military tank hidden inside the museum. Use your Joystick to steer the tank as you search for enemy automatons. Since your electronic periscope only gives you a front view from the tank, you'll have to rely heavily on your radar screen to detect the enemy. If you see a blip on the radar, you need to move fast! Use your Joystick to turn your tank until the enemy appears on the screen; press the red controller button to fire your turret gun.

Game Information

• Game Name: Battlezone
  • Released By: Atari, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: shawnb

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, June 29th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 863,000 (shawnb) [+11]
  2. 199,000 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 152,000 (SpiceWare) [+9]
  4. 146,000 (keilbaca) [+8]
  5. 75,000 (phaxda) [+7]
  6. 67,000 (scogey) [+6]
  7. 48,000 (doctorclu) [+5]
  8. 47,000 (LarcenTyler) [+4]
  9. 43,000 (128bytes) [+3]
  10. 37,000 (vdub_bobby) [+2]
  11. 31,000 (Goochman) [+1]

Best Tips

• LarcenTyler [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 1,545,000 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 801,000 (Robert Macauley)
  3. 682,000 (Ron Corcoran)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [88]
  2. keilbaca [62]
  3. SpiceWare [58]
  4. vdub_bobby [51]
  5. shawnb [50]
  6. BrianC [35]
  7. LarcenTyler [27]
  8. Jred [26]
  9. the 5th ghost [24]
  10. 128bytes [20]
  11. scogey [19]
  12. Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • Cybergoth [15]
  • Lord Helmet [14]
  • Malc74 [7]
  • phaxda [7]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • ResOGlas [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • Christophero Sly [4]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
  • Goochman [1]
Scoring Points in Battlezone
  • Tank - 1,000 points
  • Fighter - 2,000 points
  • Supertank - 3,000 points
  • Saucer - 5,000 points
  • Bonus tank awarded at 50,000 and 100,000 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy of it available online. Here are the hints it provides:

- A good way to evade enemy shells is to rotate your tank 45 degrees, then immediately move the tank forward or backward.

- Listen for the sound of an enemy gun being fired. As soon as you hear a shot, take evasive action. Do not simply rotate in the same spot.

- Keep moving after you fire a shot -- don't want to see if the shot hit its mark.

- If a tank is close behind, you can bring it within sight by moving your tank in reverse until the enemy tank appears on the screen. You'll be able to shoot as the enemy tank turns to face you.

- Try to lure one enemy into another enemy's line of fire. For example, by moving your tank to one side, you can move a flying saucer into a shot fired by an enemy tank.

- Don't waste shots, since you can't shoot your turret gun again until the shell either hits an enemy, or disappears from your main screen.

I actually wrote a guide for this recently. Here are my personal tips:

-Aerial fighters will ALWAYS appear in front of you. Make sure you take them out as quickly as possible.

-If you're dodging an enemy tank's shot, first rotate and then move forward/backward. Don't do both at once or you may actually turn into the path of the shot.

-When dealing with multiple tanks, try to take out the ones closest to you first, since you're an easier target for them.

-While flying saucers are worth good points, try not to get too distracted by them. You don't want to go after them only to get blown away by an enemy tank that you forgot about.

Always be backing up, keep enemys out to the sides of the tv screen-let them fire at you. stay backing up-the enemys shot will miss you, then counter attack.

--Ze_ro

I actually wrote a guide for this recently. Here are my personal tips:

-Aerial fighters will ALWAYS appear in front of you. Make sure you take them out as quickly as possible.

-If you're dodging an enemy tank's shot, first rotate and then move forward/backward. Don't do both at once or you may actually turn into the path of the shot.

-When dealing with multiple tanks, try to take out the ones closest to you first, since you're an easier target for them.

-While flying saucers are worth good points, try not to get too distracted by them. You don't want to go after them only to get blown away by an enemy tank that you forgot about.

And here's my first score, I just need coffee.

post-1653-1150987762_thumb.jpg

Very impressive score, Shawn!

What exactly do you mean by 'backing up'?

Driving backwards?

8)

thanks rom hunter! yes, drive backward and keeping enemies out to the side of your screen or moniter. play the game by the radar more than the screen. keep enemies on your sides and be driving backward at all times.when they get right beside you on radar they will fire and 95% of the time miss,then you quikly countershoot. by the way, i was on your site atarimania last night and downloaded caverns of mars 2 for the 8-bit. i like this game alot and wondered if this was released in cartridge for the 800xl. id love to find that. i know this isnt the thread for that you can pm me if you want. thanks! :)

Just got some time to play last night. 43,000. I need to refine my application of some of the tips to try to avoid enemy fire -- so far I'm toast whenever a tank fires. Back in the day, I had Robot Tank but not Battlezone, so I find Battlezone much more challenging and less 'cartoony'.