IGNORED

PANIC! JS2 owned!

Paolo

Wow! This is kinda interesting! First time I've ever really seen a website hacked to this extent.

It's pretty common with IPB and phpBB forums, especially older versions of the software and if you don't keep up on security updates. phpBB forums especially get hacked all the time, although there are plenty of exploits for various flavors of IPB as well. From what I can see, this looks like a typical hack where some SQL was injected to change some configuration values. Should be relatively easy to fix, and it looks like the database is intact since the main forum index does load.

..Al

We got hacked once, and fortunately I was still awake when it happened and was able to fix it (and patch the forum) very quickly. PHP-based forums have been pretty ruthlessly attacked by hackers during the past two years, and as Jay said he's running an older version of IPB for which there are a fair number of known exploits. Fortunately this hacker didn't do any serious damage and the forum database and all the files are intact.

Hackers of this nature suck and give a bad name to the term "hacker", which used to be a more respectible hacker (hell, I worked on two published books with the word "Hacking" in them)..

..Al

An upgrade, nice. GP32x.com upgrades their IPB board software frequently, and the newer versions look really nice.

We're also running IPB, although it's been heavily skinned so it may not be obvious on first glance (except for the copyright on the bottom). I had to install a new security patch just two days ago.

..Al

An upgrade, nice. GP32x.com upgrades their IPB board software frequently, and the newer versions look really nice.

We're also running IPB, although it's been heavily skinned so it may not be obvious on first glance (except for the copyright on the bottom). I had to install a new security patch just two days ago.

..Al

That's one heck of a skinning job!

Jay doesn't have time to mess with those pesky security updates. :P

Thanks for your help Al!

:)

Yeah, those damn security updates get in the way. The problem I ran into was they stopped updating the old 1.x forums some time ago. I get automatic security updates otherwise. They contacted me about it, but since it wipes all your skins and mods I decided I'd just risk it. Ugh....Guess I should have upgraded sooner. They're doing the upgrade right now, we should be back online very soon. :) Although, I'll probably be asleep.... zzzzzz

WOW! Just found out from Iceman that the site was hacked! Glad it's not that bad considering. THANK YOU VERY MUCH AL FOR YOUR HELP! :) This really pissed me off that it happened. I wasn't this upset about anything since last time when the same (but i think worse) thing happened to Lars's Eerievale Forums. :mad: But, as with all things, theres Yin within Yang and vice versa - the good from the bad. I hope that this helps heal old wounds and put an end to stupid rivalrieas (see, i can't even spell it :D ).

It kinda makes me wonder if the article in the new Retro Gamer mag with a link to Jaguar Sector II set off the attack. Or maybe I'm just too conspiracy minded...It is a highly read and regarded mag isn't it?

"Just a coincidence, nothing to worry about!"

It kinda makes me wonder if the article in the new Retro Gamer mag with a link to Jaguar Sector II set off the attack. Or maybe I'm just too conspiracy minded...It is a highly read and regarded mag isn't it?

Thats a worrying thought, as I believe that myself and Gaz are in the latest issue RE jagfest.. I best get that code upgraded asap :/

Damn bloody script kiddies.. not really hackers they are just running someone elses tools to do their work