IGNORED

Phantom II / Pirate

s0c7

And so the old multicart bin fades into non-existence. The other stuff that was on it is gone for good.

As for this, I've made several changes to it. Please let me know if you find any bugs.

And yes... I know I'm tone-deaf. :)

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

Question: Did you change out the score font? It looks a bit thinner than the standard font.

Yes, I use my "customized" version of the score graphics on everything I do that uses a score. Kind of has a 70's look to it.

All you have to do is edit score_graphics.asm. It's a good way to personalize your games.

• Like 1

Ok..... huge number of issues fixed in this release (although most were so minor I doubt you'll be able to tell that big of a difference). The color game now has a new bonus section - the refueling tanker.

Please report any bugs you may find. This has been submitted to the minigame compo.

Also note: It's F-4. The forum software is replacing the - with a _ on the attachments.

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Supercharger friendly version. Note: No changes to the actual game.

I don't have any means to test this, but I'm using SpiceWare's solution so I'm sure it works. Just want maximum compatibility.

If you've never played F-4 before be sure to read the manual in the post above.

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

:x

Finally got enough free time to really playtest this and quickly noticed the tanker stages weren't behaving as planned. Turns out I left out a couple of lines of code.

On the tanker stages you should have gotten the extra time for the bomber when you shot it down and then either gotten more extra time for docking with the tanker or nothing additional if you shot it down.

Here's the bug-fixed version. It should allow you to player deeper into the color game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While I normally tend to ignore Basic projects, I was really impressed by this one when playing all MGC 4K entries yesterday. Why did you change the name? It really is a very good port of Phantom 2, no need to hide :)

I'd be interested to see that released as "Phantom 2", filling another gap in the library ;)

To make it a bit more accurate, would it be possible to make the radar significantly wider? Being only triggered by a single scanline it's not really helping the player as is.

While I normally tend to ignore Basic projects, I was really impressed by this one when playing all MGC 4K entries yesterday. Why did you change the name? It really is a very good port of Phantom 2, no need to hide :)

I'd be interested to see that released as "Phantom 2", filling another gap in the library ;)

To make it a bit more accurate, would it be possible to make the radar significantly wider? Being only triggered by a single scanline it's not really helping the player as is.

Wow! Thanks! :) Coming from someone of your skill level, that means a lot.

We'll see about the name. I just assumed it wasn't "arcade perfect" enough to call it that. But I guess it represents the parent game better than Pac-Man. ;)

The radar hash is just the ball, so changing it should be no problem. But the question is, how big is too big? 3 scanlines sound about right?

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

The radar hash is just the ball, so changing it should be no problem. But the question is, how big is too big? 3 scanlines sound about right?

Hm... I think in the Arcade the radar window is something like 10-20 scanlines high, but of course there it's not covering the whole screen width. I'd experiment some. Maybe 5? Instead of the current short flicker it should feel more like passing through :)

Greetings,

Manuel

OK. The 4k compo is over (or is at least supposed to be), so I guess I can post this.

What's new:

The game is now officially known as Phantom II.

Lengthened the radar wave making it more arcade like.

You now start with 45 seconds on the b&w game and 60 on the color.

Fixed the graphic glitch that would sometimes crop up with the bomber.

Made a few other minor modifications.

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - this is probably the final version. I've tweaked several minor things and the big change is you now start with 60 seconds if you are playing the guided missile version and 90 seconds for the standard missile version (which is still hard, but at least now you have a chance).

EDIT : Or maybe this isn't the final version. ;) :D

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

Ok - this is probably the final version.

I'm not familiar with the arcade game, and I haven't read the manual yet, so I'm not sure if this is a bug, or maybe a "time out game over" sort of thing, but the screen froze up after I'd played it for a few minutes. I'll read the manual, play it some more, and if it happens again I'll turn on the Stella debugger to see if I can tell what's going on (if it's a glitch).

MR

PS -- It looks really nice, by the way!

Edited by SeaGtGruff

Fun. Would there be any benefit to displaying the fighter during radar mode only when the radar scans over that vertical strip?

Call me dense, but I don't completely follow the question. Fire it up in Mame to see what I'm basing that sequence on.

• Like 1

Although I freely admit it is blocky.

If you use the pfheight option, you might be able to make the clouds look a little less blocky by making some of the pf rows shorter. But you're right, it does look more "retro" the way it is, like the clouds in Combat (the dogfight variations).

MR

• 3 weeks later...

VGXPO WIP demo. Some changes to Phantom II and Pirate assumes its originally intended place as the B-side. A few more changes need to be done to both before the release date.

EDIT: Newer version coming soon.

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

are there any news about the game? how was the demonstration on the VGXPO?

Sorry about that. Haven't updated publicly in a while.

Haven't quite finsihed everything yet. Here's the latest build, including the first PAL60 build. Please test (the PAL60 version in particular) and report any bugs you may find.

What's new:

Right difficulty switch toggles the game (b = Phantom II, a = Pirate)

Phantom II

Left difficulty switch still toggles missile type (b = guided, a = regular)

New Game Selections (selectable off title screen via joystick - hit select during game to return to title screen)

1 - regular game (45 seconds, b&w - unlockable color)

2 - easy game (60 seconds, b&w - unlockable color)

3 - regular game (45 seconds, color unlocked)

4 - childrens game (90 seconds, b&w - unlockable color, no collisions)

5 - childrens game (90 seconds, color unlocked, no collisions)

6 - 2 player game (60 seconds, color unlocked, no radar or bonus stages)

Pirate

You can skip the epilog by hitting fire to start a new game.

EDIT: Here are the quick and dirty VGXPO docs. The changes above aren't reflected in them. The whole thing will be rewritten soon.

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

What did you go and delete all the old stuff for? :?

In any case, the game is looking as good as ever. Is the three-hit-to-kill on the big jet new? Because I don't remember having to shoot more than once before. I've also seen the refueling tanker for the first time (thanks to kids mode) and then promptly shot it. :lol: I remembered to not shoot it the next time through. I got a bit farther that way. ;)

You might consider documenting the refueling tanker. Otherwise players might confuse it with the motherjet boss. BTW, what is the UFO for? I also shot that because I wasn't sure what it was. Is that what unlocks color mode?

Pirates is just as fun as ever. :)