IGNORED

Phantom II / Pirate

s0c7

i even looked at that, and for whatever reason i thought, "oh, it's just range, distance, and speed written backwards".

*shakes head in disgust at self*

anyway, as a programmer (not a very good one) of a different language (again, not a very good one), i have a little tribute i whipped up today.

it's a PC game, in Qbasic, called Wizard's Staff. enjoy.

note: the bastard won't let me upload the EXE, so here's the BAS file (so now you need Qbasic to run it).

WIZSTAFF.BAS

anyway, as a programmer (not a very good one) of a different language (again, not a very good one), i have a little tribute i whipped up today.

it's a PC game, in Qbasic, called Wizard's Staff. enjoy.

note: the bastard won't let me upload the EXE, so here's the BAS file (so now you need Qbasic to run it).

WIZSTAFF.BAS

Cool! :cool: I'm honored. :D

Took me a while to track down a copy of qbasic on the net, but it I finally found it. Neat interpretation of the game!

PS - Don't sweat the fact you program in qbasic. The main thing is you can write your own programs! All my Atari stuff is in bB (even Paladin). That's always going to turn some people off, but if even one person enjoys a program I wrote (even if it is only me) then the effort is worth it. BTW - if you'd like to give bB a whirl sometime I can hook you up with the "Wizard's Staff" source code.

• Like 1

it's a PC game, in Qbasic

Is Qbasic the same as QuickBASIC? If so, you might want to check out FreeBASIC, which is a free QuickBASIC-compatible compiler. It actually includes improvements over QuickBASIC. It doesn't come with an editor or IDE-- it's just a compiler-- but you can write FreeBASIC code in Crimson Editor or any other IDE/editor, then call the FreeBASIC compiler to compile it.

Okay, I just Googled Qbasic, and as I thought, it's more or less QuickBASIC, or was a sort of version of QuickBASIC that Microsoft used to include with DOS/Windows for a while. FreeBASIC ought to be easy for you to pick up, and the compiled programs run under Windows.

Michael

http://www.freebasic.net

Edited by SeaGtGruff

Cool! :cool: I'm honored. :D

Took me a while to track down a copy of qbasic on the net, but it I finally found it. Neat interpretation of the game!

PS - Don't sweat the fact you program in qbasic. The main thing is you can write your own programs! All my Atari stuff is in bB (even Paladin). That's always going to turn some people off, but if even one person enjoys a program I wrote (even if it is only me) then the effort is worth it. BTW - if you'd like to give bB a whirl sometime I can hook you up with the "Wizard's Staff" source code.

i've actually tried fiddling with bB months ago, but i simply can't grasp it. ever since i got a 2600 at the age of 4, i've ALWAYS wanted to make a game for the system. a cart with my name on it is too good to be true.

a while back, someone posted a simple bB game called Green Hell (a fantastic first effort, IMO). i looked at the code and for me it was like trying to read japanese. :dunce:

and i know what you mean about having people turn their heads at your bB games because i don't properly code my QB games. but what i do gets the job done and that's all i care about :-D i, for one, am hooked on all your games and if there isn't a petition for :ahoy: II yet, then i'll start it.

by the way, thanks for the kind words. i'm glad you find the game a fit "port".

it's a PC game, in Qbasic

Is Qbasic the same as QuickBASIC? If so, you might want to check out FreeBASIC, which is a free QuickBASIC-compatible compiler. It actually includes improvements over QuickBASIC. It doesn't come with an editor or IDE-- it's just a compiler-- but you can write FreeBASIC code in Crimson Editor or any other IDE/editor, then call the FreeBASIC compiler to compile it.

Okay, I just Googled Qbasic, and as I thought, it's more or less QuickBASIC, or was a sort of version of QuickBASIC that Microsoft used to include with DOS/Windows for a while. FreeBASIC ought to be easy for you to pick up, and the compiled programs run under Windows.

Michael

http://www.freebasic.net

correct, Quick & Q are essentially the same thing sans minor commands and such. QB 1.1 is the one that came with windows, and didn't include a compiler. luckily i also have version 4.5 which does include one, so i have no problem with compiling the programs i make.

if i'm going to ever learn another language, it's going to be bB. perhaps one day, when i'm feeling smart...

but thank you for your post either way. :)

if i'm going to ever learn another language, it's going to be bB. perhaps one day, when i'm feeling smart...

If you know Qbasic, then using FreeBASIC won't be learning another language, since they're more or less the same-- FreeBASIC does have a few improvements in some of the commands, though.

As for learning bB-- start today! :D You're already smart enough. As for looking at other people's bB code-- I often have trouble following other people's code, regardless of the language.

Michael

i did, i started reading some documents.

oh and here's the stand-alone EXE file: Wizard's Staff (Revision B)

levels layout:

LEVELS 01 THRU 08 -> 4 talismans, same order

LEVELS 09 THRU 17 -> 6 talismans, same order

LEVEL 18 -> 4 talismans, regenerated order

LEVEL 19 -> 6 talismans, regenerated order

(bug fixes in RevB)

Edited by bomberpunk

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...

We'll be featuring Phantom II/Pirate LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Phantom II/Pirate (2006) by David Weavil aka s0c7
- The Deep (2015) by Ed Riley aka winkdot
- Robot Tank (1983 Patch Challenge) by Alan Miller 

33921507_20190906-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.a17ca99f20984cabaf8ce9ec2b6172ab.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We'll be featuring Phantom II/Pirate LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Phantom II/Pirate (2006) by David Weavil aka s0c7
- The Deep (2015) by Ed Riley aka winkdot
- Robot Tank (1983 Patch Challenge) by Alan Miller 

33921507_20190906-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.a17ca99f20984cabaf8ce9ec2b6172ab.jpg

P2/P is interesting from a historical perspective.  Beyond that, I'm not sure how well it will go over in the current era.  It was the second bB game to make it to the AA store (Solar Plexus was the first).  It was written with one of the earliest versions of bB.  None of the fancy stuff was available back then, so it is very 70's looking.

P2 is B&W because the arcade game was.  I made color an unlockable feature but some people just couldn't understand, so I made it a game variation also.

Hit fire 3 times on the P2/P game select screen to get to the hidden Easter Egg game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, s0c7 said:

P2/P is interesting from a historical perspective.  Beyond that, I'm not sure how well it will go over in the current era.  It was the second bB game to make it to the AA store (Solar Plexus was the first).  It was written with one of the earliest versions of bB.  None of the fancy stuff was available back then, so it is very 70's looking.

P2 is B&W because the arcade game was.  I made color an unlockable feature but some people just couldn't understand, so I made it a game variation also.

Hit fire 3 times on the P2/P game select screen to get to the hidden Easter Egg game.

Heya @s0c7! Thanks for the tip on getting to the Easter Egg game.

We'll be playing footage from the original arcade game to give context for your game Phantom II. ? Thank you about the information about this being the second bB game to hit the AA store, very interesting! Looking forward to playing your three-games-in-one at the top of the show today. ?

5 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We'll be playing footage from the original arcade game to give context for your game Phantom II.

Hi James.  Thanks for doing that.  I've noticed over the years few people seem to have heard of the arcade game and seem to have a hard time wrapping their head around what's going on.  It helps to have played or at least seen the arcade game.  It was one of my faves back in the day.

One other thing I want to mention, there is a small hardcore group of people who like to play Pirate a little differently than most do.  They liken it to Minesweeper and the goal of the game is to win without fighting (LeDuc anyway, sometimes you have to fight the voodoo priestess or snake if they have the shovel or are covering up the X).  This requires locating everything beforehand and plotting out exactly what you are going to do.  Even then, LeDuc may get to the X first.  But if you move away and he steals the shovel, he will also start randomly roaming the island again so you get to try again.

Just now, s0c7 said:

Hi James.  Thanks for doing that.  I've noticed over the years few people seem to have heard of the arcade game and seem to have a hard time wrapping their head around what's going on.  It helps to have played or at least seen the arcade game.  It was one of my faves back in the day.

One other thing I want to mention, there is a small hardcore group of people who like to play Pirate a little differently than most do.  They liken it to Minesweeper and the goal of the game is to win without fighting (LeDuc anyway, sometimes you have to fight the voodoo priestess or snake if they have the shovel or are covering up the X).  This requires locating everything beforehand and plotting out exactly what you are going to do.  Even then, LeDuc may get to the X first.  But if you move away and he steals the shovel, he will also start randomly roaming the island again so you get to try again.

No problem! All three games were a fun playthrough today on the show.

I was thinking that what you said would be a good strategy, mentally mapping out the full layout of the island and then running with the shovel straight to the X.