IGNORED

How many places carry Atari games in your town?

jboypacman

I suppose GameCrazy. (I went into one once.... Once.)

There's a store Spongebue always raves about in Bloomington called Discland. I've been there a few times, and they do have a fair number of 2600 carts. Mostly overpriced commons with faded labels, but a few noteworthy items, including Pitfall II the last time I checked. (They had it and a few other desirable games in security boxes instead of just loose, so not only do they carry the games but they know what's good or not.)

They've got a lot of stuff, actually. Tons of NES onward, of course, but a fair amount of the old stuff... 2600, 5200, Inty, CV... even Odyssey 2!

I am not sure of any around Milwaukee, but in central Wisconsin there are 5 that I can think of (2 in Wausau, 1 in Stevens Point, 2 in Wisconsin Rapids). Of those places, most have a decent selection of games to choose from. Only one has just a few games. The rest have at least 30-50 on any given day and one of the places usually has a few hundred Atari games in stock. :)

Names please! I'm going to be in Nekoosa next week visiting my brother. We went to one in the Rapids when I was up for Xmas, he didn't know about the other one.

Well i was thinking today after i got back from a local game shop on how many places in my local area carry Atari games and i came up with 2.1)Game Crazy and 2)a "Mom and Pop"game store.So that leads to my question today of..."How many places in your local area carry Atari games?"

There's a Gamers in Omaha, NE that carries used 2600 titles, but that just about it. I can't even find any of these at Goodwill anymore. Several years ago, I remember the same outlet (Gamers) carrying 2600, 7800, Lynx (that's were we got our Lynx 2) and the Jaguar, plus several boxed titles. Unfortunately, if it wasn't for Ebay and the few online stores, I would have to depend solely on the Marketplace here at AA. If I asked for Atari today, most outlets would direct me to the Flashback console or Plug and Play devices.

Zero.

Luckily DPs store is only about 20 minutes away :cool:

OOO. I forgot about Joe Santulli opening up. I went there once a few months ago, just to meet him for the first time. Since I corresponded many times and was a contributor to the guide, I thought it fair we meet in person. It's about 20-25 minutes from me too.

Phil

OOO. I forgot about Joe Santulli opening up. I went there once a few months ago, just to meet him for the first time. Since I corresponded many times and was a contributor to the guide, I thought it fair we meet in person. It's about 20-25 minutes from me too.

Phil

Cool, I'm not the only Northern NJ AA member :)

Joe is a real friendly guy, and being able to walk into a real store in this area and shop for the classics is just unbeatable! I wish Joe many years of success :D

Honolulu has a few stores... Toys N Joys has a limited selection, but Aloha Collectables has a huge rack of 2600 and other games, both loose and boxed, plus several crates full in the back. Several hundred different titles in all probably. They charge $5 each, but offer 1-for-2 when trading in (regardless of titles) or any pre-NES game for any other pre-NES game plus $1. Lots of systems, too. About 3 or 4 boxed 5200s last time I checked. Really a great store.

None, but in my old town, this place called Game-O-Rama had SO many Atari 2600 games, at least about 30, unfortunately, I did not have an Atari 2600 then, and he went out of business.....damn he had good deals.

I have a flea market that has a few places that get games in and the used video game store I have downtown will get you just about anything up to rarity level 6 (once they had a 7 that I bought) if you ask them to look in the back. Other than that some pawn shops have commons and slightly less commons always for $5 regardless of what it is.

In the town where I CURRENTLY live, nowhere -- not even the thrift stores. HOWEVER...(assuming all goes according to plan!) I'll be living in Chicago before autumn!

Can you say "Land of the Lost"?

It's a tiny store that sells mainly retro/vintage clothes that young women in their 20s dig, but right when you walk in, their counter is LOADED with Atari 2600 stuff. They're a bit on the expensive side -- I think something like $4 a cart -- but they have a lot, including some things in boxes, a few unopened. I make semi-regular trips there.

I am not sure of any around Milwaukee, but in central Wisconsin there are 5 that I can think of (2 in Wausau, 1 in Stevens Point, 2 in Wisconsin Rapids). Of those places, most have a decent selection of games to choose from. Only one has just a few games. The rest have at least 30-50 on any given day and one of the places usually has a few hundred Atari games in stock. :)

There is a one in GreenField,WI. They got a bunch of 2600 games. (sorry not telling the name of the place!)There is one is West allis,WI called Record Head. I think they still do. You have to ask though and some employees will say stuff like you have to update to a ps 2 or a 360 if you buy a 2600 game or an older system.

There used be more in the Milwaukee area in flee markets and a place that sold 2600 games in the 80's and 1990's, intellivision games and 5200 games along with the now closed video game exchange.

We have an EB Games that won't take anything older than PS1 titles. A Pawn Shop that only gets stuff in once in a while but I buy it all eveytime and they seem to get half decent stuff and its cheap too. Another local Pawn that has nothing and only has 2 ATARI carts at $10 dollars each (Ice Hockey & Ms. Pacman ...lol..). No real Atari or other classic gaming dealers at all within about a 100 miles of me :(

Gamestop/EB 's new policy is no longer taking in even PS1 games for trade. :|

NADA as far as stores go here as well as even yard sales and flea markets. We did find 3 sports genesis titles at a second hand store though! Does that count :D :ponder:

... didn't think so. :sad:

*sigh*

*slinks away*

We have a franchise in Oz called Game Traders that is pretty wide spread and the owners usually have a lot of older stuff (including Atari gear) out the back or at home which they never list but will drag out if you ask.

The one near me always has 2600 carts on display for AUD$9.95 but mostly really common stuff, but I did pick up arcade sticks for my SNES and Mega Drive for $30 total yesterday which I was pretty pleased about.

Now that eBay is getting crazy the store prices seem more reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

One place in Milwaukee that has them regularly - Record Head. And I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy - they're so over priced that its rediculous. Its the type of store that thinks putting shrink wrap around a loose dusty/grimy console suddenly jumps its value up $50 to $100.

The knobs had a B&C Computervisions reproduction on display as an authentic proto for a number of years as well, going for well over a $100.

I don't frequent the thrifts or Goodwill or anything like that. But I'd bet Atari stuff pops up in there every so often.

There is a new GameStop where I live. I haven't been in there, but they might carry Atari stuff. There was some "used game store" in Lakeland, FL that had Atari 2600 bundles. It was like $50 for the console, a joystick, and 5 games. (And of course the games were Pac-Man, Missile Command, Asteroids, E.T., Space Invaders... Commons.)

Anyway, it's a good thing for Ebay. Otherwise I wouldn't have any "new" games in my collection.

Edited by Gregory DG