IGNORED

The New Sonic Game for the Wii

Sonic

Boy, you guys just love to argue for the arguments sake, don't you? I never mentioned anything about TV's or DVD players, I am talking about the frame buffer(s) that we work with, the source for proper screenshots. You can see that the images were reduced in size and their current size is 640*360 and most people in their right mind, constrain the proportions of the image, hence someone probably just reduced the image by 50% on X and Y is automatically reduced by 50%.

What makes you assume that?

I must apologize, CPUWIZ. I respect your opinion in lots of areas, but I can't figure out why you're being so dense here.

Here's a little experiment. Take your Wii SDK and use it to construct an image intended to be presented with a 16x9 aspect ratio (something it ought to be able to do if it provides full access to all of the Wii's capabilities). Now, take a capture of that image, and shrink it down to 640x360. This won't be a straight 1-to-1 scaling, of course, just like DVD players don't do a straight 1-to-1 scaling. That's why it's called "anamorphic" scaling. If you need a program that does anamorphic scaling of still images, IrfanView is a fine, free choice.

Now, assuming you were able to do all this, explain to us why IGN couldn't have very well done the same thing. I'm betting they wanted to show what the game would look like on a 16x9 monitor, and this is exactly how they would do it.

TVs have never had a "proper" 4x3 resolution either, you know. The rough digital equivalent of a high quality NTSC video signal is 720x480, which is what current DVDs also support. If that was rendered using square pixels, the resulting picture wouldn't be 4x3 or 16x9. However, DVD players can and do render their picture in both aspect ratios.

I think you're including the overscan area. The viewable resolution of a standard television is 640x480 with square pixels, making for a 4:3 ratio. :ponder:

No, I am not taking overscan into account. Overscan crops the picture on all sides, not just the left and right sides. If I were to take overscan into account, I would say the average TV displays a picture roughly comparable to 648x432, since most televisions overscan the picture by about 10% on each side.

Edited by skunkworx

However, if you look at the images closely, you will see that they are scaled down 1280*720 images (proper 16:9 aspect ratio). Something the Wii can not produce. IGN is well known for using bogus images, they often show PS2 screens for PSP titles, which is equally ridiculous.

Doesn't look like it to me. If anything, that's an S-Video capture - if that was 1280x720 and it had that much color bleed, then the display hardware used sucks ass and doesn't deserve to be called HD - especially pay attention to the red bleed on Sonic's shoes. I don't see any Y/C crosstalk, so I don't think it's composite (even the best comb filters don't remove all the crosstalk). My guess is that they either took a letterboxed signal and cropped it, or they took an anamorphic signal and vertically shrunk it (were it done this way, I would personally resize to 864x480, but I can't say for sure that they would have done this, so it's up in the air for me).

Also, the fact that some of the frames are blended tells me that it is definitely an analog capture that's been deinterlaced - look at this image and notice the stairstepping on the water just left of Sonic, as well as the blending in his shoes. This is definitely not any form of HD, at all, or there wouldn't be any blending between fields, certainly not from a 720p source.

Edited by LocalH

soooo umm... what about the game.. (you guys went a bit off subject)

i know you move with the joystick, but how is the wii mote used, anyone know?

Actually from what I heard, sonic just keeps moving all the time. You hold the wiimote like an NES controller and tilt it to make sonic move left and right. Let me see if I can find that anywhere...

Ah, here we go!

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/feature.php?featureID=8

http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/action/sonicrev...tml?sid=6150974

If you have a look at the E3 footage you can clearly see it running in 16:9. I'm sure if the Wii doesn't support that aspect ratio natively in hardware you can force it in software. Also, I think those images are photos rather than screen grabs, which is why the resolution isn't what you expected, Wiz, and is in fact much higher. The blur is a bit of a give away.

I hope that stops all the petty arguements.

Actually from what I heard, sonic just keeps moving all the time. You hold the wiimote like an NES controller and tilt it to make sonic move left and right. Let me see if I can find that anywhere...

Ah, here we go!

ah, thank you my good sir. :cool:

Ah, here we go!

i think its going to be great and a good derction for sega,but its definitly not the first game im going to get for the Wii...

1)Project H.A.M.M.E.R

2)Super Smash Bros.

3)Zelda: Twilight Princess

4)Sonic Wild Fire

5)Mario Galaxy

i say this because i really want games that really take advantage of the Wii's controller and i think Wii Sports may be a pack in game :)

Ah, here we go!

i think its going to be great and a good derction for sega,but its definitly not the first game im going to get for the Wii...

1)Project H.A.M.M.E.R

2)Super Smash Bros.

3)Zelda: Twilight Princess

4)Sonic Wild Fire

5)Mario Galaxy

i say this because i really want games that really take advantage of the Wii's controller and i think Wii Sports may be a pack in game :)

I wouldn't worry about it since only one of those games is a confirmed launch title.

actually 2 are... and the other ones you wont have to wait long.. by the time you get 50 bucks saved up for another game 5 more will be out there that your drooling over... hell there is enough at launch to preoccupy my time even without Brawl and Sonic