IGNORED

Bashing vs. Raving

Flojomojo

To be thruthful, the Jaguar does have it's fair share of bad games, I mean for me personally, I only like about 10 games out of 50 games in my collection, and the whole library has approx, lets say 80 titles?

But I guess you can say that about every system, the NES only has about 100 good games (out of a total library of approx 2000), it's all to do with averages.

Bravo my friend. You just summed it up totally. That not only applies to the Jaguar but to the industry as a whole. It's all about percentages. That's why they created encryption.

So the real question is, what system had the best ratio of quality games to flops? PS1 certainly doesnt shine in my book from that perspective, although it is one of my favorite systems.

To me this is where the 7800 really shines. I'm sure you think I'm crazy, but its true. About 1 out of every 3 games in its tiny little library is a classic, be it Dig-Dug, Ms. Pac-Man, Food Fight or Midnight Mutants.

The Jaguar has just been kicked around its entire life, mainly because Atari never demanded respect for their systems. They never had a good track record of standing by their systems and having good advertising to shoot down bullsh*t revies like what pussed out of EGM. They merely left the Jaguar declawed and defenseless. Same with Lynx and 7800. That's why I really resented the Tramiels for years.

Ok then how about RAIDEN? Was a damn nice port to the Jag. And the SNES?...The story and atmosphere in SF wasn't "LIGHT YEARS" ahead...pfft. It could go either way. That sentence tells me you have something against the Jag. ;)

No. That sentence should tell you I have something against Cybermorph!

Cybermorph is less of a game than a tech demo. Hardly any sound, no music, wonky physics. "Avoid the ground." Star Fox has lower resolution graphics, but a lot more atmosphere, and a wonderful symphonic score. "Wing damage." Rogue Squadron puts them both to shame technically. "I can't shake 'em."

I'd argue that Star Fox has the better pacing because of the relentless forward motion. Playing on rails isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Cybermorph is a really great game once you get into it. Out of my entire (and may I add complete :D ) Jaguar collection Cybermorph still ranks as one of the most played games. Loving Battlemorph at the moment though and playing it all the way through :lust:

Cybermorph is less of a game than a tech demo. Hardly any sound, no music, wonky physics. "Avoid the ground." Star Fox has lower resolution graphics, but a lot more atmosphere, and a wonderful symphonic score. "Wing damage." Rogue Squadron puts them both to shame technically. "I can't shake 'em."

I'd argue that Star Fox has the better pacing because of the relentless forward motion. Playing on rails isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Star Fox is a tech demo too though. It's a way of saying "hey, look at the terribly limited game we can make when we add another microchip here and don't add anything fun just so we can claim we have a polygon game". People who think the original Star Fox was good are mislead by the fact that first when it came out it blew them away due to the polygon graphics without realizing that there wasn't any kind of good game in there. Now they continue to think it's good because it gives them the warm fuzies.

Star Fox is a tech demo too though. It's a way of saying "hey, look at the terribly limited game we can make when we add another microchip here and don't add anything fun just so we can claim we have a polygon game". People who think the original Star Fox was good are mislead by the fact that first when it came out it blew them away due to the polygon graphics without realizing that there wasn't any kind of good game in there. Now they continue to think it's good because it gives them the warm fuzies.

Starfox is pretty decent imo, Vortex was far more of a tech demo than starfox ever was.

Starfox is pretty decent imo, Vortex was far more of a tech demo than starfox ever was.

To each his own I guess, but I've never been able to stand Starfox. One of my friends owned it when I was younger and he loved it too, but I could never see what he saw in it. He finished it multiple times, while I could never be bothered to play it past one level. I still think it's best described as a tech demo though. A boring, boring tech demo.

Starfox's gameplay is ripped directly from standard side-scrolling shooters, then translated into 3D.

If by standard you mean mediocre, then yeah, that's true. If it were a side scrolling shooter it would be a boring one with nothing making it at all interesting. They made a boring shooter and then tacked on polygons and called it a day.

Edited by Atarifever

Let me introduce you to one of my favorite all time articles written by one of our own AA members, EGM Reviews DOOM by Gregory DG.

This is basically the out and out proof that as silly as it sounds, there was a ridiculous bias against the Jaguar in the print media. Next Generation was the only mag I can remember to be consistently fair to the Jaguar, but that mag failed unfortunately.

Unfortunately, when I was a sophmore in high school (1994?)... one of the kids in my history class had an Atari Jaguar. He was going on and on about DOOM. I didn't really know much about the Jaguar then other than the fact that I had seen a couple of the Jaguar commercials on TV at the time. I totally laid into the kid telling him how lame the system was, and that if you're going to play that game, you might as well do it on a computer.

I certainly didn't HELP the Atari situation back when they really needed it the most. Heh....

Although, I did grow up in the early 80s having played Atari 2600 all through my childhood. I grew up going to Toys R' Us and pulling those little papers down, paying the money and going to the game shack at the front of the store to pick it up. (That's how I got Tutankhamen and some of the other games I had as a kid), but... if anything, I think I did my best to discourage anyone from buying the system.

That was until I was a Senior in HS. 2 years seemed like a hundred years back then, and I don't think I even owned any games, or any systems except my original 2600 which was in the basement. A bunch of us were going over to this dude's house to meet for a Paintball game and we were going to leave from there. In his room, one of his buddies was playing Wolf-3D on the Jaguar. I had totally forgotten that it even existed. By this time, it was 1996, and I think Atari was on it's last leg. I remember just a couple years after that, the games (even uncommon ones like Alien VS Predator) were going for like $4.99 at KB Toys and stuff. So, I pretty much blew all but my rent money buying up every game I could.

Let me introduce you to one of my favorite all time articles written by one of our own AA members, EGM Reviews DOOM by Gregory DG.

This is basically the out and out proof that as silly as it sounds, there was a ridiculous bias against the Jaguar in the print media. Next Generation was the only mag I can remember to be consistently fair to the Jaguar, but that mag failed unfortunately.

Unfortunately, when I was a sophmore in high school (1994?)... one of the kids in my history class had an Atari Jaguar. He was going on and on about DOOM. I didn't really know much about the Jaguar then other than the fact that I had seen a couple of the Jaguar commercials on TV at the time. I totally laid into the kid telling him how lame the system was, and that if you're going to play that game, you might as well do it on a computer.

I certainly didn't HELP the Atari situation back when they really needed it the most. Heh....

Although, I did grow up in the early 80s having played Atari 2600 all through my childhood. I grew up going to Toys R' Us and pulling those little papers down, paying the money and going to the game shack at the front of the store to pick it up. (That's how I got Tutankhamen and some of the other games I had as a kid), but... if anything, I think I did my best to discourage anyone from buying the system.

That was until I was a Senior in HS. 2 years seemed like a hundred years back then, and I don't think I even owned any games, or any systems except my original 2600 which was in the basement. A bunch of us were going over to this dude's house to meet for a Paintball game and we were going to leave from there. In his room, one of his buddies was playing Wolf-3D on the Jaguar. I had totally forgotten that it even existed. By this time, it was 1996, and I think Atari was on it's last leg. I remember just a couple years after that, the games (even uncommon ones like Alien VS Predator) were going for like $4.99 at KB Toys and stuff. So, I pretty much blew all but my rent money buying up every game I could.

Well, don't feel too bad dude, alot of the people back then were like that. It was funny though, after they played the Jaguar, and you could tell that they were having fun, they would still bitch about the control pad. They were also pretty biased against the 3DO, so neither of these systems really had a full chance, for two totally different reasons though!

Well, don't feel too bad dude, alot of the people back then were like that. It was funny though, after they played the Jaguar, and you could tell that they were having fun, they would still bitch about the control pad. They were also pretty biased against the 3DO, so neither of these systems really had a full chance, for two totally different reasons though!

Yeah, it just kind of sucks that I was close minded like that. I think I had for a time, grown out of games. I didn't mention it, but I did have a Nintendo growing up too just like most of the other kids of my time. But at that time in my life, I think I had sold practically everything with the exception of my 2600... and I think that's just because no one would buy it at the garage sale! hahah...

I certainly wouldn't give up my collection now!!!

I drive to work every day with a big huge Atari logo on my rear window. My wife, and most of my friends think I'm a huge nerd because of it. But... I know that it's totally worth it for the small percentage of people who appreciate it every morning!