IGNORED

A penny for 6 grand...

kevincal

So what? Rare collectibles go for big money. Want to see a few million more cases of collector's economics?

An Atari prototype for three grand! The horror!

lol....IM JUST SAYING! It is pretty rediculous though when you think about it. :roll:

This thread reminds me of one of the all-time funniest moments of Brewster's Millions. For those who have never seen the movie the gag is that Richard Pryor's character has to spend $30 million in 30 days AND NOT HAVE ANY ASSETS AT THE END - he has to literally blow it all. Why? Because if he succeeds he'll receive an inheritance of 10 times as much at the end. Needless to say he's going crazy trying to figure out how to buy anything and not end up owning something, but he hits upon the ingenious idea of going to a store specializing in rare stamps and coins. A day later the lawyers of the law firm who are trying to cheat him out of his inheritance get a postcard in the mail. When they flip it to the other side, the stamp affixed is the 1918 Inverted Jenny (upsidedown airplane) - a block of 4 has sold for as much as three million dollars. Kinda trumps that $6500 penny no? The exasperated law firm owners look at the newspaper headline about him buying the stamp and yell "IT ISN'T AN ASSET ANY MORE, HE'S MAILED IT!" Ahh good times. :D

A few years ago, Jimmie Walker was an afternoon DJ in Omaha. He would not say his catchphrase. I figured that the studio owned the rights and he could be sued for saying it. At my old place of work we used to call him up every afternoon whith something along the lines of . . .

"I just wanted to say how good that last song was, Jimmie. Just amazing. It was absolutely DY-NO-MITE!" And they would switch it off by the second syllable. Different people called in every day, keeping us amused for about a month.

The same type of penny is currently going for over $8000.Wish I had that kind of cash.Of course it still cost more than a penny for the mint to make a penny,they need to just phase it out.(then I can sell all my pennies for $1000 each!)