IGNORED

What TV works best for jaguar?

Symmetry of TNG

Hi!

Thinking of buying a new TV ...and would like to hear what experience people have with different TVs for jaguar play...

I mean does 100Hz work ok with a jaguar? ...does widescreen look good? ....

Or should i aim for a old classical CRT 29" 4:3 to get best jaguar gameplay? ..(like i planed... and no even though a 50" wide plasma is nice (considering that it works with a jag) I didnt plan to throw my money away :P ..since they cost to much.. But I would not mind knowing if/how they work with a jaguar...

Im having sort of a "CRT-panik" since they are leaving the market.. and i feel they are best for old consoles...

I just dont want to bring a jaguar setup to the radio store... "does it work with this,I'll buy it" :)

Thanx for any input!

cheers

/Sym

Widescreen stretches all the Jag games, obviously. Some will look okay, some will look ugly, that's just the way it is. I only have a few Jaguar games left and I play them on my widescreen TV. For Battlesphere, I play it stretch b/c it looks okay and it is more immersive that way. For Tempest 2K, I don't stretch because the fields look funny to me stretched.

I personally would not want to play games stretched to widescreen. I'd just display them in the normal 4:3 aspect ratio. I have played video games on my widescreen projector and this is what I normally do. Yeah, you don't take advantage of the full width of your display, but the games don't look distorted.

Also, if you don't already have one, I highly suggest getting an s-video cable for your Jaguar, although that assumes your televisions over there have s-video inputs. :)

..Al

hmm.. yes this "stretching" is what i hate... on real TV signals and such its like beeing drunk or something... never liked it... (the true widescreen "revolution" is yet to hit where i live)...

Unzooming tå 4:3 format and your 500" widescreen becomes a tiny 14" screen (in true screen width) ..and i already have such..

So i mean widescreen feels pointless to me atm.. with a 4:3 i get true 29" screen if i get such...

Im unsure what to aim for.. I want my jag games to look as they should...

What about 100Hz TVs? ....... and i assume a lightgun game is then out of the question?....

yes.. I will get a s-video cable when i get a bigger TV.. atm composite on a 14" looks crystal sharp ;P

thanx for input!

/Sym

hmm.. yes this "stretching" is what i hate... on real TV signals and such its like beeing drunk or something... never liked it... (the true widescreen "revolution" is yet to hit where i live)...

Unzooming tå 4:3 format and your 500" widescreen becomes a tiny 14" screen (in true screen width) ..and i already have such..

So i mean widescreen feels pointless to me atm.. with a 4:3 i get true 29" screen if i get such...

Im unsure what to aim for.. I want my jag games to look as they should...

Not true, I watch my regular TV in 4:3 format on my 52" TV... I measured the diagonals, it is 40in in diagonal. It is just that the borders bother some people, but it doesn't bother me.

Some games stretched, you can hardly tell (not like people's faces, where it looks horrid). Like I said, games like Battlesphere do look pretty good stretched, you can check it out from my avatar :)

Hello,

Thinking of buying a new TV ...and would like to hear what experience people have with different TVs for jaguar play...
Well I have from a 32" 4x3 100hz TV through to a 14" portable. The main factors for me are that the TV should support 60hz mode, and most importantly of all RGB, to get the best possible picture. (Yes, composite video is OK, S-video better, component is even better, but real RGB via a SCART cable is unbeatable for Europeans.)

I mean does 100Hz work ok with a jaguar?
100hz is no problem - it's just screen refresh, it still handles the input frequency the same - widescreen is another matter, I do not have any widescreen TV's, but I played the system on a friends' widescreen TV and his projector, both were great. We set the widescreen set NOT to stretch the picture though, else it starts to look weird, so it became a 4x3 sort-of!

Regardless of the TV you use, make sure it's got good speakers, or hook your Jag up to the hifi! If you're not playing your games through stereo, you're missing out on on a great feature of many Jag games.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

=) ...well i guess 40" would be enough for me defenitely :) ..but paying for a 52" & getting a 40" is...well not economical =)

(chekcing avatar with a 4:3 magnifying glass ;) ...hmm.. wish there was more screen pics of this topic.. so i could deside myself beforhand.

But i guess game gfx might be less inflicted by a stretch than human faces...

hmm.. need to consider this more..

Thanx!

Also, if you don't already have one, I highly suggest getting an s-video cable for your Jaguar, although that assumes your televisions over there have s-video inputs. :)

..Al

I'll go with this comment. I don't think the TV itself is as important as the cables you use to hook up with. Obviously the nicer TV you get, the better picture quality you will have anyway, on ANY system, but you should at least get the S-Video cables.

=) ...well i guess 40" would be enough for me defenitely :) ..but paying for a 52" & getting a 40" is...well not economical =)

(chekcing avatar with a 4:3 magnifying glass ;) ...hmm.. wish there was more screen pics of this topic.. so i could deside myself beforhand.

But i guess game gfx might be less inflicted by a stretch than human faces...

hmm.. need to consider this more..

Thanx!

Remember the bigger you go the more pixelated the games will be. I play on a 51" HDTV and the sprites do show their pixelation alot more but that's not the Jaguar's fault, it's just that the resolution of the game doesn't match that of modern TV's anymore.

Argghh!... Shoot... 60Hz.. i forgot... Thanx justclaws....

Its vital for compatibility tests of my own productions...

Hmm... RGB... is that built in a scart contact? ..ie if i aim for a scart tv i get that included or what?

(usualyl tvs here have scart, rf (turning into digital tv soon),and a separate composite & left&right audio & a S-video input)... thats like standard on all tv here.. (60Hz on the other hand might be an issue..)

So to sum upp widescreen talk i could say: If im happy with screen size (&price) of a widescreen in Un-zoomed mode.. then I should get widescreen.. to get best of both worlds..

Hmm.. well then i atleast have something to test at store...

& 100Hz is no problem as long as the TV takes 60Hz.... (though we in sweden have 50Hz as standard in AC)

Thanx!

/Sym

Hello,

Well I have from a 32" 4x3 100hz TV through to a 14" portable. The main factors for me are that the TV should support 60hz mode, and most importantly of all RGB, to get the best possible picture. (Yes, composite video is OK, S-video better, component is even better, but real RGB via a SCART cable is unbeatable for Europeans.)

I mean does 100Hz work ok with a jaguar?
100hz is no problem - it's just screen refresh, it still handles the input frequency the same - widescreen is another matter, I do not have any widescreen TV's, but I played the system on a friends' widescreen TV and his projector, both were great. We set the widescreen set NOT to stretch the picture though, else it starts to look weird, so it became a 4x3 sort-of!

Regardless of the TV you use, make sure it's got good speakers, or hook your Jag up to the hifi! If you're not playing your games through stereo, you're missing out on on a great feature of many Jag games.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Problem is, I haven't been able to find a multi-system television that has SCART and S/Video on eBay. Any suggestions where someone in the US can find one with SCART?

..the only reason I can think of for getting a widescreen is that ..well its turning into a standard.. even if we dont realy have ws here yet, and movies, & my xblox (that atm stands nice on a shelf)...

..and offcourse... make a true WS jaguar game.. =) ..and with a HD TV i could experiment with that aswell.. =) ...but tempest.. avp... BM,... I cant risk it :P

cheers

/Sym

I use an LCD game Screen ;) from MadCatz it's 7.5"

hmm... yes I thought about buying a ~7" portable LCD screen for making my devkit portable... same thing there, the TV was videscreen so im hesitating...

OR one of those carTVs ...(easier than a grabber for the PC)...

well c what exists in this EOL of a town.

cheers

Hi guys

Does anyone know if this cable will enable my PAL Jag to be displayed via RGB? I think it will, but I know from experience with my other consoles that a scart cable does not necessarily provide the RGB output as some are compos(h)ite in disguise.

Cheers

Andy

I just purchased a 14" Mykomi LCD TV to run both my Jag and Falcon on, it has RF, S-Video, Scart, Composite Video and L/R audio inputs, stereo speakers and is both PAL and NTSC compatiable with the following display settings...

Wide Screen, 4:3, Full Screen (not sure what that means, might be Pan and Scan for widescreen images) and auto where the set determines the correct setting.

I am running my Jag on it via the Scart socket and although I have only tried it for a few minutes while setting it up it looks great, haven't tried viewing Jag games in windescreen as with them being designed for 4:3 what would be the point, everything would look odd!