IGNORED

Whiz Kid Carts?

Albert

Hello, maybe you're talking about this?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/0/6/5/7...12430198_tp.jpg

Nope thats not it :( I remember it had a little owl on the right side of the screen also. I pictured it in the drawing but I just remembered that it was a brown owl wearing a graduation hat and he had a wand or pointer in one of his hands. It was NOT in the style of a laptop at all like the ones that have came out in the last 10 years or so. I belive this would have been one of the very early Whiz Kid computers. I got it in the mid 80's. I googled like hell but can't find even one pic of it :(

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Ok, this is my idea:

V-Tech, somewhere in the first half of 80s decided to add an educational product line. Maybe they saw a decline in the videogame sector.

So, V-Tech edu, based in USA, simply used the design of the CreatiVision and the carts, changing the colors from black to "white", since this is more suitable and less aggressive.

That cart has a finished label, and can't be a proto.

Maybe they did a small test market launch...don't know. Then they decided to produce dedicated hardware.

I think we must look for a console shaped like a CreatiVision, named Whiz Kid, that has no display, but must use a television.

Just my idea.

Edited by Nicola

I used to have a Talking Whiz-Kid, and it used those types of cartridges.

The Whiz-Kid came with a built-in "bank" of games, which could be accessed by the cards that came with the system. These cards were recognized by the system using a numerical keycode that the Whiz-Kid scanned upon inserting the card. In the event that the card could not be properly loaded, you could also manually enter the number of the "game" (on the card) that you wanted to load.

Additional cards were sold for the system, and each package of cards came with these cartridges which programmed the new games into the unit. I never owned any of these cartridges, but I saw them in stores and wanted them as a kid. That was, of course, before they stopped making the Whiz-Kid... and when it was also no longer interesting to me.

Oh, sorry about the lack of a reply. I only have one of those carts, and don't know where it is at the moment (IF I even still have it, that is) So sorry, I can't take it apart and get a scan of the chip or anything.

I'll look later, but I don't know if I'll find it or not. IF So, I will.

Oh, sorry about the lack of a reply. I only have one of those carts, and don't know where it is at the moment (IF I even still have it, that is) So sorry, I can't take it apart and get a scan of the chip or anything.

I'll look later, but I don't know if I'll find it or not. IF So, I will.

/me gets VERY angry! :x :P

please don't miss to actually search for it... it's *very* important to the creatiVision community.

A quick reply.

The new site is ready at www.madrigaldesign.it/creativemu/

I also released the "FunnyMu" emulator, v0.44 "unofficial by MADrigal".

The downloads page also has the BIOSes, ROMs and a very useful GUI named "CreatiVe-UI" for use with FunnyMu 0.44.

Still a few bugs to fix... next days... :)

Edited by MADrigal

Sorry Madrigal, I couldn't find my cart, It's probably in the dungeon of old unloved games LOL.

I'll keep my eye out for it though, and if I ever run across it (That's how it happens right? YOu can't find it ifyou look, but if you don't look, you'll trip over it on a daily basis) I'll post ascan then.

• 2 years later...
I had a Whiz Kid but it was a blue & grey one. The body was blue and the keyboard was grey. The keyboard was at the front and it opened and closed to cover the screen thing. It had a spot at the back where light had to come in to light up background of the screen even thought the text was electronically displayed. It took carts and the barcode cards. cards went in the front and carts went in the side.

Anyone remember the one I'm talking about?

EDIT: From memory this is what it looked like:

Here it is!!! I've been looking for this all morning. I had one of these also and loved it. Good drawing by the way ;) post-22832-1236709103_thumb.jpg

I had a Whiz Kid but it was a blue & grey one. The body was blue and the keyboard was grey. The keyboard was at the front and it opened and closed to cover the screen thing. It had a spot at the back where light had to come in to light up background of the screen even thought the text was electronically displayed. It took carts and the barcode cards. cards went in the front and carts went in the side.

Anyone remember the one I'm talking about?

EDIT: From memory this is what it looked like:

Here it is!!! I've been looking for this all morning. I had one of these also and loved it. Good drawing by the way ;) post-22832-1236709103_thumb.jpg

THATS IT! YAHOO! You found it! A very small bit of my sanity has returned to me by veiwing this picture. Thanks :) Now I just gotta find one of these Whiz Kid machines. What year is that wish book from anyhow?