IGNORED

PB Hacks (2600)

StanJr

Due to the programming safeguards can PB hacks ever be put onto a cart, or are they emulator food only?

You can hack a PB ROM that's been converted to standard bankswitching and put it on a cart now.

There is a caveat though - there is a lot of redundant code and data in converted ROMs, so you need to make the same changes to each bank that contains copies of the data or code you want to change.

Due to the programming safeguards can PB hacks ever be put onto a cart, or are they emulator food only?

To summarize what supercat and Batari have said, there are no programming safeguards that keep PB hacks from being put on a cart. PB games have a unique bankswitching scheme and no one has made a printed circuit board (PBC) that uses it, probably because it needed for only about eight games.

To summarize what supercat and Batari have said, there are no programming safeguards that keep PB hacks from being put on a cart. PB games have a unique bankswitching scheme and no one has made a printed circuit board (PBC) that uses it, probably because it needed for only about eight games.

Do a search. The games have been converted/reprogrammed or whatever to work on a regular eprom and board. I have the Montezuma's Revenue hack Tomb Raider on a cartridge. Just need a good lable.

Do a search. The games have been converted/reprogrammed or whatever to work on a regular eprom and board. I have the Montezuma's Revenue hack Tomb Raider on a cartridge. Just need a good lable.

No need, I know the games have been converted. It doesn't change what I said, though I wish I had typed ABC instead of PBC.

Hey! I made that hack! And you have it on cart? Cool. I was going to make a label for it and have one run for myself, you want a copy of the label when I get it done?

• 4 weeks later...
Hardware suitable for running E0-format Parker Brothers games is not terribly complex, but I don't know of anyone making boards for that purpose. If there were demand, it wouldn't be too hard to make such a board, but I know of nobody doing so at present.

I'm considering making a PB multicart board now that I have a few tubes of 74170 chips. I might even be able to get it to work with a 16V8 GAL, since I have lots of those lying around.

I'm considering making a PB multicart board now that I have a few tubes of 74170 chips. I might even be able to get it to work with a 16V8 GAL, since I have lots of those lying around.

I would expect that it should be possible to implement an E0 cart using an EPROM, a 22V10, some resistors, a cap, and a 74HCT10 (triple 3-input NAND). The 74HCT10's gates would join A5, A6, A7 into one PLD input; A8, A9, and A9 into another; and A12, A12, and A12 into /CE of the EPROM. The other 22V10 inputs would connect to the remaining address lines, except pin 1 which would connect to output #1 through an RC delay. Outputs #2-#4 would be strapped together and tied to A10 of the EPROM; #5-#7 would connect to A11, and #8-#10 would connect to A12. All three of those address pins would also have 1K pullups.

Of course, if you have enough 74170 chips to stuff however many boards you want to make, that too would be an option.

Edited by supercat