IGNORED

Arcade Pong

djmips

So this weekend I did manage to dig out my Atari Jr., Harmony cart and found I had to solder together a power supply AND a video cable (I considered going full bore and making the composite mod heheh - later) - I found all the source code I could find and I put them up on GitHub - https://github.com/djmips/APong

Proceeding from that I had to start reasoning over my old code. Turns out there's still some annoying bugs that need to get fixed.

I wonder if I should make it work from either port with a switch? Maybe the difficulty switch.

Edited by djmips
  • Like 1

So this weekend I did manage to dig out my Atari Jr., Harmony cart and found I had to solder together a power supply AND a video cable (I considered going full bore and making the composite mod heheh - later) - I found all the source code I could find and I put them up on GitHub - https://github.com/djmips/APong

Proceeding from that I had to start reasoning over my old code. Turns out there's still some annoying bugs that need to get fixed.

I wonder if I should make it work from either port with a switch? Maybe the difficulty switch.

Thanks for getting back into this! If you do make the port switchable, could you make the left controller port work under difficulty B? At least for my own purposes, I'd like to leave the console on "B" for putting in my arcade machine.

On the other hand, it would be cool to use the difficulty switch to maybe change the game speed (no idea if that's possible).

• 3 weeks later...

OK here is the update.

Add feature that right difficulty switch controls left/right paddle port
Fix bug where when the ball gets stuck. If the ball hit the paddle in the middle right after it should have bounced off the bottom of the screen the ypos would end up being incorrect and stuck. The fix is to always do the math to fix up the ball position immediately after inverting the yspeed instead of waiting for the next frame update to take care of that because an intermediate collision check with the paddle could zero out the y velocity and it would never be able to be inverted and correct the position.

TLDR - paddle switch on right difficulty switch: Keep the ball in legal area at all times.

BTW - the Left difficulty switch controls whether the game goes to 11 or 15 which was a switchable option on the original Arcade Pong. This was already in my code and I did not change it.

-DG

ROM here

apong_2019.bin

Edited by djmips
  • Like 2

Did the original Pong tend to get stuck in "loops" where if neither paddle is moved the ball will just bounce back and forth between them? I suspect the answer is probably yes.

I started this up in Stella and couldn't figure how to move the paddles (I rarely use Stella). It scored twice on each side then got itself into an infinite volley.(paddles partially off the bottom of the screen, never moved from startup)

I realize now this was actually a bug :P you were reporting. It's fixed now.

Someone pointed out they saw a flash of the ball at the net when a point was scored. So this is a fix for that. It turned out the call to setup display was before the move ball so simply switching them around was the fix. Before there was a one frame delay on display outputs from the move ball routine.

I'd also like to note that vdub_bobby is the co-author of this little project.

apong.bin

Edited by djmips
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, why do not the controls for this games work for me? I can not move the racket. I have stella 6

It is a game that works with paddles. In stella you have to set it up the controller port to be a paddle and then the two axis of the mouse are the left and right paddles. It's quite awkward and doesn't really work that well. *

You also have to have the right difficulty switch set for left or right port.

Ideally you would play this on a real Atari with Paddles.

* Maybe Stella supports two mice for left and right paddles but I don't know if it's possible.

• Like 1

Is it broken? The paddles don't move now.

For play testing a homebrew paddle controller, I was looking for paddle games.

I downloaded the latest version a apong.bin to my Harmony Cart, overwriting the version I had before.

To be sure it wasn't a problem on my end, I have:

• Tested with OEM paddles and no luck there either.
  • Downloaded the original version from the first post and the paddles work fine.
  • Downloaded the latest version several times from the recent post to assure no corruption
  • Downloaded the latest version from the first post so I don't think it's a corrupt download.

Is it just me?

Edited by BigO

• 2 months later...

We'll be featuring Arcade Pong LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Retron 77 (Stella 6 Update)
- Redshirts (2010) by Jarod Kitchen aka jrok
- Arcade Pong (2019 WIP) by David Galloway aka djmips
- Hunchy II (2005) by Chris Walton aka cd-w

UPDATED with YouTube Archive of Stream:

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Arcade Pong for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

1039605791_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-Best4KHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.3716e7865c9cafbc2038fe46ace45a48.jpg

• 3 years later...