IGNORED

Sony Ad....WTF?

HAHAHA... wow.. there goes all the support they got from the graphiti ads LOL... not good.. not good...

Im starting to think a nintendo or microsoft rep has infultrated their marketing and advertising teams and is responsible for all of the bad decisions lately lol.

Hmmm What's racist about a white chick squeezing a black dudes cheeks? He looks like he likes it. She might be fixing to give him a frenchy and who knows where that would lead.....

lucky fella!

The billboard does say PSP White is Coming.

:ponder:

Edited by moycon

Hmmm What's racist about a white chick squeezing a black dudes cheeks? He looks like he likes it.

Which, even if it were true, would actually make it more racist.

Let's say the ad showed a white plantation owner whipping one of his slaves, and the slave was smiling. "Look, he's not suffering, he likes being a slave!" Or, to go even further, what if you'd shown a bunch of hooded KKK members with shotguns chasing after a grinning black man?

Whose interests would that ad be serving? Does the apparent joy on the victim's face make the act more or less demeaning?

If you take a racist ad and depict the victim as enjoying their humiliation, all you're doing is trying to justify your racist stance. "See? Racism's not so bad! They like it!" Which is more racist than if you'd shown them suffering.

I don't really see a smile, though, personally. But it's still a racist ad, just not as bad as it could have been. The first time I saw this, I only saw the image, and I don't think the image by itself is necessarily racist. It's only if you see the world in terms of different colors of skin that it would be.

BUT, when you then add the text that they've got there, it crosses the line. Because now Sony's saying specifically that they chose those two people because one is black and one is white, and the white one is dominating the black. Not only that, but the text is completely categorical - it's not "the white PSP is coming", it's "White is coming".

Put together, this is about as blatantly racist as an ad from a mainstream company has gotten in the past 20 years or so, at least that I can remember.

Edited by spacecadet

I'm pretty sure the black model is a chick as well.

Nintendo should rush out an ad showing the ebony and ivory DS lites being played side-by-side, living together in perfect harmony. Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh Lord, why can't we?

Sony stepped in shit with this one. Not all publicity is good publicity.

It was Sony Europe, in Holland, I bet nobody cares. All it does is create a lot of people second guessing the images and posting blogs all over the internet, mission accomplished. Just like Nintendo naming the console Wii, loads of free advertising and hype, over a system that most gamers already have at home.

I bet Sony Japan didn't even know they pulled this little stunt. :ponder:

Mix this ad with the other ads and it's just bad all around. I do understand that press is press whether it is good or bad but there is something to be said about triggering good press. The Wii is making good press and I think it is going to sell a lot more then it otherwise would have because of it. All I hear about Sony lately is bad and I don't think it is going to help their sales at all. Sony only had two places to go... down and the same. I don't think they are going to enjoy continued success in the way they have for the past decade.

I don't think they are going to enjoy continued success in the way they have for the past decade.

Probably not, but it won't be because of some stupid ads. Personally, I found some of the U.K. ones more extreme than this one.

I don't think they are going to enjoy continued success in the way they have for the past decade.

Probably not, but it won't be because of some stupid ads. Personally, I found some of the U.K. ones more extreme than this one.

I didn't say it would be strictly because of these ads. My post makes it pretty clear that I think they are making bad decisions as a whole.

I'm pretty sure the black model is a chick as well.

yeah the black model is a women. From what I gather the whole intent of this ad was to be just racey and murky enough to spark conversation but not enough to get sued. Clearly it didn't really pan out as they had hoped, it got people talking but nothing good came of it.