IGNORED

Atari 2600 Soccer

Retrofan

hey, it works much better with every update. Cool :cool:

A few ideas:

in my mockups the players are smaller because they have more space to move then. Would it be OK for you to use my player graphics? Please! Or are the bigger ones better?

I do not use the left 2 columns for playfield graphics because of the "player position graphics bug" (the black lines, I forgot the correct name). Is it doable?

My idea of player moving: 3 (in the middle field 4) players (in 2 rows) were controlled together (horizontal and vertical) if they have the ball. They can run with the ball within their area or shoot (fire button) to another player. When the ball is shot to another group of 3 or 4 players, this group were controlled by joystick. The group of the opposing team change simultaneously. The camera (playfield clipping) scrolls with the ball (or fast to the action group). Are this good ideas of game actions or are there better solutions? It could be to complex?

(brazil for world champion - or germany?) ;)

SoccerSystem3.gif

The black lines show the separated areas, the white lines show the players that were controlled together.

Soccer_select_team.gif

If there will be left enough memory it would be great to have a menu to choose countries for the own and the other team. (only a goodie and not necessary). With the joystick you could choose the team colors/countries.

hey, it works much better with every update. Cool icon_shades.gif

Thanks for the compliment! :D

in my mockups the players are smaller because they have more space to move then. Would it be OK for you to use my player graphics? Please! Or are the bigger ones better?

Unfortunately, I had to increase their size because I was having difficulties with the players color/graphics allignment. Actually, you can still notice that problem, but since the players are bigger, it's less noticeable.

I do not use the left 2 columns for playfield graphics because of the "player position graphics bug" (the black lines, I forgot the correct name). Is it doable?

:? What do you mean?

My idea of player moving: 3 (in the middle field 4) players (in 2 rows) were controlled together (horizontal and vertical) if they have the ball. They can run with the ball within their area or shoot (fire button) to another player. When the ball is shot to another group of 3 or 4 players, this group were controlled by joystick. The group of the opposing team change simultaneously. The camera (playfield clipping) scrolls with the ball (or fast to the action group). Are this good ideas of game actions or are there better solutions? It could be to complex?

Well, I think it's doable, but it would require someone more experienced on Atari programming than I currently am (this is my first 2600 game). As it is, I'm aready having one hell of a fight against the hardware's limitations. Anyway, I'll try to do my best.

Interesting, kinda like foosball (table football). icon_wink.gif

Yeah, that's approximately how I think the game will end up looking like.

If there will be left enough memory it would be great to have a menu to choose countries for the own and the other team. (only a goodie and not necessary). With the joystick you could choose the team colors/countries.

I also thought about that possibility. It should be pretty simple to do, as long as there's enough memory available.

hey, it works much better with every update. Cool icon_shades.gif

Thanks for the compliment! :D

Unfortunately, I had to increase their size because I was having difficulties with the players color/graphics allignment. Actually, you can still notice that problem, but since the players are bigger, it's less noticeable.

I fixed your player color/graphic problem. Check it out. I tried to add copious notes/comments so you could understand what I did and why. ;)

Soccer7_bobedit.zip

If it plays like foosball the scale of the players is good, but the gameplay is a little bit overspeed. Where is the next release? ;) . If your programming abilities grew up with the coding of your first game (congratulations for your very good work) you could make this foosball game and then separately building up the game to the next level (smaller players, more movements und upgraded gameplay = real soccer/football), if you have fun with this project. :)

Please make it real :D

If it plays like foosball the scale of the players is good, but the gameplay is a little bit overspeed. Where is the next release? ;) . If your programming abilities grew up with the coding of your first game (congratulations for your very good work) you could make this foosball game and then separately building up the game to the next level (smaller players, more movements und upgraded gameplay = real soccer/football), if you have fun with this project. :)

Please make it real :D

Well, right now I'm adding scoring to the game (still too glitchy to warrant a release).

Maybe I could try upgrading it into a real soccer game later on.

Wow , this is fantastic!

A couple of suggestions?...

It seems a bit frantic at the moment, how about a slight pause when the a goal is scored- perhaps you could flash up the word GOAL! getting bigger and bigger like they have on the displays at football (soccer) games.

Great game though, well done!

regards

Martin

• 13 years later...

We'll be checking out Atari 2600 Soccer on tomorrow's (Wed May 20) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3