IGNORED

Atari 2600 Soccer

Retrofan

12 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

"1982 Golden Thumb Challenge" :?

Imagic seemed to have three different names for getting a certain score their games, just like the Activision did with their Patch Scores:

- Gold Thumb Hall of Fame
- Numb Thumb Hall of Fame
- Imagic Experts Club

I'll be trying (and definitely failing) to get the needed score for Cosmic Ark of 30000 to be in their Gold Thumb Hall of Fame. I'll go over everything in more detail on the show today.

20 hours ago, chewy said:

is this 2 player only?

It looks like it, there seem to be no game options and the two teams only move when you move each of the joysticks. Looks like fun and can't wait to give it a try on the show today!

• Thanks 1

After watching this yesterday on ZPH, and being rather impressed with the graphics - I was delighted to track down this thread and see the source code has been released. Good thing, because I was easily able to fix the bug in the ball movement, and make some changes to my own taste. I've changed the grass colour a bit, refined the score digits. Since author's permission was given to modify - I'm interested in continuing development on this clever title.

So, here's an updated binary of the first changes I did. There's a bug in the 2nd player pieces, which are moving when they shouldn't be. But for now, the improvement in the ball movement actually makes this fun to play right now - even though you're effectively playing without an opponent.  I hope to do some more changes soon - and after I've cleaned up my changes I will continue with the releases of source code.  

Kudos to the original author for some excellent (and in my view quite unique) work.

soccer_20200522.bin

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I've been doing some work on this today.

New scoring display/digits. New "GOAL" score with colour BG to indicate player.

Grass colours revamped.

I've removed the black HMOVE bars on the edge of the screen.

Currently the goalies are thus mispositioned. This is a consequence of the above - but I can probably fix.

Players only animate when moving.

I've changed the ball movement, of course... now smooth

I've added fractional ball movement speed, and increment it after each goal scored. It gets hectic quickly.

I've found the bug causing player 2 sprites to move when not commanded to. I have not yet fixed this, as it's tricky with the code as it is currently written. But I know what it is, and I will definitely fix it tomorrow.

Been having a bit of fun with this - it's the first time I've played with a kernel that's not single-line. 
Hopefully I'll be able to release a binary and updated source very soon...
What attracted me to this was the large sprites and very clean display. I've tried to keep that feeling.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 8

18 hours ago, easmith said:

Looks good . Just a thought , but could add the black bars behind the players with background color to make it All out foosball since that is what it resembles. Might clutter up the screen though 

I don't quite understand what you're suggesting here.

Here is an updated/fixed binary with fixed movement code for both players.

Should be very playable as a 2P game now.

I finally understood what the existing code was doing.

I have adjusted the ball speed, and as a special treat the ball speeds up (imperceptibly) whenever it touches a player.

So, if you find a suitable opponent, and can keep it in play long enough, it gets really fast and difficult!

The speed resets whenever there's a goal.  Just to show it off, though, for the video.... I disabled goal scoring and let it rip.

Still would like to get rid of those HMOVE bars, but the code is fighting me on that one.

soccer20200523.bin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We'll be checking out the newly updated Atari 2600 Soccer on tomorrow's (Sun May 24) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, easmith said:

This is like  table top  foosball. You could add the sliding bars 

I feel like it would just add clutter. I get where you were going with that. But if you think about it the bars are a necessity in real life but not needed for a a video game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hizzy said:

This game is really great! Any chance of getting an AI opponent?

Yes, highly highly likely.

Also I will be graduating some other things, like the player's movement speeds (different for each human player) to allow for differing skill levels.

Should be lots of fun.

• Like 4

I've been thinking about this, and at this point I think the right thing to do is to encourage the original author to resume programming this.

So, that's what I'm hoping - and I'll just leave things as they are. In particular, the changes I have made have mostly been fixes to existing code, rather than major rewrites. I think the original author had some ideas for improvements - as evident in the code - and I'd really like to see him re-take ownership of this one and make it what he originally planned.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Sharing the awe of watching the professionals at work...

Frédéric is awesome, i  had great luck playing and winning DYP with him at the 2003 P4P European Championship in Switzerland

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/24/2020 at 5:37 PM, easmith said:

Can you change it to where the ball does not reset to midfield until after the "GOAL"  stops displaying?

@easmith I was just about to say the same thing.  I love this game!  But after I score, I'd like it if the "camera" would linger for a moment on the opponents goal before shifting to midfield for the next play to start.  @Andrew Davie  I heard what you said about letting the original author continue working on it, but would you consider making this one little change?  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm just going to put this out there.

Absolutely Awesome game. Thanks so much!

Called it. Foosball in an old school fantasy art box with a special set of red and blue joysticks in a box sold separately.

Have Foostball embossed in controller housing.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Yurkie said:

I'm just going to put this out there.

Absolutely Awesome game. Thanks so much!

Called it. Foosball in an old school fantasy art box with a special set of red and blue joysticks in a box sold separately.

Have Foostball embossed in controller housing.

Hello @Yurkie and everybody!  Good news!  @Andrew Davie asked me to let everyone know that he has made several improvements to the soccer game and he wants to share the .bin files so everyone can enjoy the improved game and also so developers know so as to avoid duplication of effort.  The improved .bin files are in this thread at his website, 2600 Wizards.  So please visit the thread, read about the changes and download the updated .bin files with Andrew's blessing!  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1