IGNORED

Atari Video Music

Ze_ro

It looks pretty cool (although the girl (I think it's a girl) in the picture doesn't look like she's having much fun), but I'm not likely to pay eBay prices for it. Maybe I'll find one in the wild someday

... And monkeys might fly out of my butt...

--Zero

Ummm...of course Atari Video Music is less sophisticated than the Jag's VLM. It's almost 20 years older! It's like saying that the 2600 is somehow less sophisticated than the PSX. (shudders)

Soooo...I have an AVM. This thing is *COOL*. Yes, it's primitive. Yes the patterns are repetitive. But you've never seen a party take off until you've played the BeeGees or Donna Summers through an AVM. Or Stevie Wonder. Or, God help you, Parliament. Your guests *will* think the mothership has landed.

These make *great* additions to any 70's party. Or even an 80's party. I mean... They have fake woodgrain, fake leather, and real brushed aluminum. What more could one ask for???

They are highly recommended. But I msut agree, not for ePay prices.

-Chris

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I got an AVM a year back off of Ebay. I paid a bit much for it, but they never show up in thrift stores around here, and I'd just made a killing selling some non-Atari stuff- I splurged!

I've fired it up at several parties, and while the graphics are _very_ primitive, it still makes people happy. Oddly, it seems to react best to 70's music, i.e. the time period in which it was manufactured. It really goes nuts over Zeppelin and other rock records that I had lying around to try it with.

It also reacts especially well to the music of this band called Optiganally Yours (www.optigan.com) which is a band that uses this 70's manufactured instrument called an Optigan.

One cool thing that I've done with it is to run the output (through a VCR to give me a composite output to use) into a Chromakeyer to knock out the black. Then you can aim a camera at something and superimpose the strange undulating patterns over it. I plan on doing this at the next party where we have live music.

All in all, it has been a very worthwhile thing to have around. I'd like to get a Jag CD someday- not necessarily for the games, but for the cool light show! The AVM is pretty cool for retro freaks, but likely not worth the dough that I paid for it (though I have no regrets). :D

I have two AVMs .. Both off eBay .. One was in a freak auction that the guy tried to kill at the last minute because he didn't think he was getting enough $$ for it .. Got it for $145.

The second one off eBay was "broken" because someone had cut part of the hardwired AC adapter cord .. Got it for $45 .. and spliced the cord back together in a nice way .. and it works!

A problem with the AVM is that the plastic colored inserts that cover the buttons do fall out. I am missing two colored inserts .. and when I showed it off in Cinciclassic last fall, I noticed that one was about to fall out .. So I made a point of pressing each one well to hopefully seat it well in place.

I will probably auction off the better of the two AVM on eBay ..and keep the one I repaired (which is missing the two inserts).

I need to get a photocopy of the manual .. if anyone would mind running off a copy .. preferably color copy.

Someone had an AVM for auction some months ago that is modified to put out Lumina/ Chroma/ or Composite video instead of Ch2/3 RF.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Any details on this mod?  I'd be a bit spooked to do it on such an expensive and rare piece of gear, but the added quality might be worth it.  Anyone else here perform the mod?

Donno .. But I remember seeing the US patent with circuits for this thing .. I wonder if it has Lumina 0,1,2,3 plus Chroma that can be run through the standard 2600 Lumina/Chroma mod ...??

Any details on this mod? I'd be a bit spooked to do it on such an expensive and rare piece of gear, but the added quality might be worth it. Anyone else here perform the mod?

I'd only do the mod if it was simple and reversable. From what I hear, the AVMs were prone to break down. They are rare enough (IMHO) that messiong around with them just isn't worth it. I do believe it should be as easy to mod as the 2600. I know Jay Tilton had mentioned something about this at one time, but he never followed up on the subject.

BTW: My AVM was found new at a liquidators/2nd hand store. The manual is the coolest part of the whole package. At one of the NWCGE meets I had my JAG VLM running with the audio going through the AVM (Playing the Tempest 2000 soundtrack of course). It was something to see. The AVM has graphics comparable to the 2600. Nothing hi-res, but darn cool.

-Lee

At one of the NWCGE meets I had my JAG VLM running with the audio going through the AVM

Yeah .. At last year's Cinciclassic we tried to set up the JAG VLM and AVM running side by side using the same audio .. but for some unknown reason the JAG CD was not working .. so we settled on running the AVM solo.

I'll take the AVM back to Cincinnati this fall.

A problem with the AVM is that the plastic colored inserts that cover the buttons do fall out.  I am missing two colored inserts .. and when I showed it off in Cinciclassic last fall, I noticed that one was about to fall out .. So I made a point of pressing each one well to hopefully seat it well in place.

I print labels for the pharmacutical industry, and I may have a tip for you. If those inserts are adhesive-backed, it's possible to re-activate the adhesive by wiping the surface with acetone (nail-polish remover). Be sure you use a lint-free cloth when you wipe the surface as well. You don't want lint on your adhesive. Anyway, a simple wipe should do it. Let the acetone dry up, and your ready to re-apply.

• 4 weeks later...

With all this talk of Video Music's I pulled a spare unit out that is in great working condition and excellent cosmetic condition, there is a Buy it Now for $300 which is about average for the unit without going nuts in price, so if you'd like to get one, here is your chance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1367320996

Curt

• 2 months later...
Ok .. I found US patent #4081829 ..  March 28, 1978 which documents the Atari Video Music.  It shows the IC has outputs 21 (Chroma) and 23 (Lumina) as well as Sync going to the RF Modulator.  So this would be an easy pick-up .. Maybe for fun...

I found that out in my tests. I am curious though exactly what the pot on the main board is for?

I am curious though exactly what the pot on the main board is for?

You got one in the box for $5? Wow! Have fun playing with it! Who knows about the pot .. Note it's position and then maybe a gentle twist to see what it does. Remember: The pot is 25 years old .. so don't break anything!

• 10 years later...

Has anyone done the Composite or s-video out mod on an AVM here? Looking at the diagrams is not alot of help since they are poor resolution, it's hard

to pick out some things due to blurring, but it does seem like an awful lot of the pins on the CPU are joined together after a resistor ladder on the output side -

i guess this is how they are deriving the composite to feed the modulator?

going to try building the same mod as would be used on a 2600, see if it works out..